4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff Empty
PostSubject: Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff   Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 4:33 am

I am 90% there in aquiring a Jeep KJ 2.8 Auto.

Im looking at 2x KJ's, one is a 2005 & comes with the Jeep Trac Lok LSD and the other is a 2006 & comes with Traction Control.

Not sure which one would work better on snow, & woodland terrain. Ive had LSD's in all my previous vehicles so far and im pretty used to them. Not sure on this traction control stuff.

Jeep will be used mostly to tow.

Any help of opinions are welcome.

Jas

Last edited by Jas on Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff   Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 4:49 am

Begin at the beginning Jason, which do you prefer.

Limited slip diffs work by having a series of clutches of a variety of types as power takes the line of least resistance and this is the reason you only see one wheel spinning when a 2WD car is stuck. These clutches limit the amount of power going to the free wheel, or one with the least traction which is spinning, it is denoted as a ratio such as 70:30 or 80:20 which are the two most common. The first number is the amount of power allowed to the spinning wheel which is either 70 or 80% of the power in this case, and the second number is the amount of power going to the wheel with traction.

From this we can conclude that any spinning wheels get some, but not all the power, and the wheel with traction receives some power; the only real issue is does the wheel with some traction get enough power to propel the vehicle in certain types of terrain such as a steep hill climb.

Traction control works as a reverse ABS system, it relies upon a wheel sensor and toothed cog to monitor each wheel and if one spins up very quickly when compared to the other three then the system applies a braking effect by applying the brake to just that wheel for a pre-determined time, or as a series of pulses until it stope spinning quicker than the other wheels.
We can therefore conclude that traction control is a variable limited slip diff as it can partially or totally lock up an individual wheel, or even both wheels on an axle if they are both spinning.

Problems arise if muddy terrain clogs the sensor or the toothed cog as the system reverts back to a non traction control system, or if the system loses drive on one axle totally as this can confuse the system as it needs at least two wheels, or often three to compare the wheel speed against. In such cases the system is useless and can result in a vehicle becoming stuck through its electronics when a basic system would keep plugging through. In adition the system reaction times and programming factor heavily in the equation as some are so slow to react they become useless.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff   Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 4:57 am

Thanks for the Knowledgeable reply.

I suppose, I prefer LSD, on the basis that I know how they perform & if well maintained & serviced Ive not had one fail yet.

I was curious as to how good Traction control worked, or if it was any better than a Rear LSD. I like the thought that the front axle can be controlled to a certain degree. But then I have heard stories of TC failing or on some 4x4's even deactivating when used in 4wd Lo....

jas
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff   Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 4:58 am

The worst terrain that I expect to encounter is 1 foot of snow or hauling an unbraked trailer of logs through the wet & leaft woods.... FYI
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff   Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 5:44 am

Toally true, many traction control systems rely upon the system being operable off road, and most don't really work off road and are switched off so you need to check if it switches off and more importantly, when it switches off as some may remain on and others may remain on in 4H, but switch off in 4H locked centre diff, others may switch off only in 4L.

As traction control systems are a reverse ABS many are merely a cheap afterthought and easily installed and it only really takes a re-programming of the system to make ABS function as traction control as the brake booster and pressure resevoir are already there, hence the reason they are fitted.

From what you have said I would suggest LSD as you are familiar with their operation and they are not reliant upon electronics, they are easily maintained and the only difference may be the the need to use a specific LSD oil, so it is worth checking out if this is the case as some manufacturers use it and others don't.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff   Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 5:57 am

Thanks for advice. TC is uncommon to me on 4x4's, ive never owned a vehicle that has it. Most pick ups that Ive driven are rear LSD and most full size 4x4's ive driven have lockers or LSDs.

Cheers. thumbsup

Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff   Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff EmptyFri Nov 23, 2012 5:59 am

& if anyone else has any input just post. Ta
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff   Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff Empty

Back to top Go down

Jeep KJ, Axle options - Traction control or Limited Slip Diff
Page 1 of 1