4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics Empty
PostSubject: Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics   Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics EmptySun Aug 11, 2013 7:55 pm

Ok all,
Something I have been concerned about for a while now, so thought I would put it to the group for advice. I have a salisbury axle on the back of my 110, which everyone keeps telling me is suppose to be strong. However my earlier Land Rovers I have broken halfshafts on a few occasions (standard axle). These were easily delt with in the 'bush', as all you needed to do was pull out the shafts, drop the prop off, unbolt and wiggle out the diff.
However on a Salisbury axle I am lead to believe this cannot be done, as you need an axle case spreader to stretch the casing enough to allow you to remove the diff.
Do I need to consider taking one of these spreaders bars on every big Overland trip madstupid  , or has someone got a better idea to deal with a broken half shaft on a Salisbury Axle? scratching chin 
There is no point in taking spare halfshafts if I can't get the diff out in the middle of the Sahara!!

Advice please.....Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
http://global-adventures.webs.com/
jellybenitez
Cleaner
Cleaner
jellybenitez

PostSubject: Re: Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics   Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:01 pm

Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics 10012009402qp2

You could fab up something like this but i am not sure if you could just use the locating pins and a hi lift jack to spread them? Not done it myself and not a job i fancy either Wink I'd want a couple of cars at least to cross the Sahara ideally the same make (land rover) then parts and therefore weight could be spread amongst them. Its harder if you are going solo as where do you draw the line. Dragging a 4 ton 110 full of spares across dunes is going to be much harder on components than one thats lighter and less likely to get stuck or get damaged. Id say better to ensure all drive flanges and shafts were in excellent order before setting off as its normally the drive flange ends that wear.  Even with a broke rear halfshaft you could still in theory disconnect the prop and lock the centre diff and drive out with only 2wd.
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

PostSubject: Re: Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics   Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics EmptyMon Aug 12, 2013 11:40 pm

Yeah that is the kind of spreader bar I was talking about. I really dont want to be carrying that in the back of the Landy, as I have enough stuff, and as you mentioned its best to keep the weight down. I would never cross the Sahara on my own, so would always have a back up vehicle. I suppose as long as I disconnected the back prop, and removed the shafts then the diff would stay still. Therefore the broken section of half shaft would not cause anymore issues with rattling around in the diff. Why the hell did they design it like this?! The old type axles were so easy to work on!!
Back to top Go down
http://global-adventures.webs.com/
diesel_jim
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
diesel_jim

PostSubject: Re: Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics   Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics EmptyWed Sep 04, 2013 5:52 pm

TO be honest, they hardly ever break anyway. The salisbury has been in use since the series 3, and has hardly caused any problems in its function.

You'd be better using a piece of metal rod, about 10mm diameter, and just push it through (or hammer it) to knock out the broken piece of shaft, if it ever comes to that.

When I fitted the ARB locker to the back of my 110, the diff unit more or less came out on its own anyway... any axle with a good amount of miles on it would have loosened up, so with the aid of a couple of levers, you should be able to get the diff out. My friend who did the ARB fitting with me, had a huge set of G clamps that fitted around the casing, this helped a little bit too. but I woudln't worry personally.
Back to top Go down
spider
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics   Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics EmptySun Oct 20, 2013 6:59 am

I put in the ashcroft HD shafts in mine. Going to do the front and cv when I have save up, as that is a big pile of cash.
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics   Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics EmptyThu Dec 19, 2013 7:33 pm

You worried about breaking the halfshaft then fit the standard halfshaft to hub flanges and carry a couple of spares. That's what those flanges are for, They are sacrificial.

The Salisbury wasn't called the Bullit axle by Ford for fun.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics   Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics Empty

Back to top Go down

Salisbury axle - Bush mechanics
Page 1 of 1