4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Information needed please

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
edwillcox
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Information needed please Empty
PostSubject: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 6:19 am

Hello to all,
Two questions which I need answering please.

My new sand tracks are damn heavy, I imagine that both tracks are mounted on the same side of the vehicle, but having never used them or tried to mount them on my Landy, before I just want to be sure before I start.

Secondly, I want to buy 2m of thick, heavy chain and a couple of high quality padlocks, has anyone ever used a length of chain to secure ladders/tracks. onto their racks ?

I have also toyed with the idea of thick heavy rope, or a good thick length of tow rope to wrap and secure the tracks.

I did look at the brackets available from "Mantec", but I am not sure they will take the weight.

All advice appreciated, as I start my Eastern European trip in four weeks !.

Ed

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 12:10 pm

Silly question but it's one I will ask on behalf of everyone who like me are also wondering ... what made you buy such heavy sand ladders when there are much lighter options out there?

I'm not talking about loads of dosh either (Maxtrax plastic ladders or aluminium can cost hundreds), I'm referring GRP versions. A pair of 4ft glass fibre versions weighing around 7kg would cost £49.99 carriage free, so even if you required longer ladders then £100 would get you four, two mounted each side @ 14kg per side.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/OFF-ROAD-4X4-BRIDGING-SAND-LADDER-WAFFLE-BOARD-TRACMAT-/300376177180

or

www.tracmat.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=1&Itemid=77

or

even cheaper and lighter – make your own! www.aulro.com/afvb/projects-tutorials/48963-how-make-cheapy-sand-tracks-ladders-mats-whatevers-offsite-image-warnings.html

Last but not least, here’s some brackets but at a price. Ouch! www.mudstuff.co.uk/Sandladder%20Holder.shtml I do however like the idea of ‘fold down’ sand ladders to create a table … neat!

Last edited by Tom Mc on Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Alternatively you could always purchase a lot of these and bind them together - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1-10-Scale-Crawler-Maxtrax-Extraction-and-Recovery-Boards-by-RC4WD-/370623955944?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item564ae8c3e8 Razz

On a serious note, one very useful tip I picked up when preparing for the Paris-Dakar Rally:-

When using sand ladders tie a length of thin blue polypropylene cord approx. 10ft on one end of the sand ladder, the other to the rear bumper of your vehicle - that way when you've driven out of the sand/mud/whatever, the sand ladders will simply follow you until you are back on terra firma so you won't have to walk back in the boiling sun to retrieve them. One thing though, don't make the cord too short (6ft or less) as the ladder when pulled up out of the sand can shoot though the air like a Champagne cork as the cord stretches like an elastic band (kenetic engery an' all that) and maybe smash a back light. A long length of 10ft plus would obviously prevent this.

If however you feel there is no need to tie them to the rear of the vehicle at all, then just tying cord to the sand ladders is still beneficial as when they bury themselves in soft sand, at least you'll be able to find them again without excess digging - simply pull 'em up with the cord. So many don't bother, so many use up needless time and energy looking for 'lost ladders'.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:06 pm

I wouls suggest double that length, with sand you often need a lot of speed to maintain momentum and at any speed they can really bounce about, seen several cases of them popping into the back of the vehicle once they've been fired.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 1:54 pm

Assassin wrote:
I wouls suggest double that length, with sand you often need a lot of speed to maintain momentum and at any speed they can really bounce about, seen several cases of them popping into the back of the vehicle once they've been fired.
Now you've said that, yep, you're dead right - 10ft just isn't enough. thumbsup

Wasn't thinking properly, 20ft is much more like it. Can't really be too long, but they can definitely be too short.
Back to top Go down
edwillcox
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Job done !   Information needed please EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:50 pm

I hoped that someone on here would have been able to assist me with my two questions, but never mind !

I telephoned Mantec, sent them pictures of the tracks and Brownchurch rack.

The mounting brackets are in stock, and now in the post to me. Yipee....

In under four weeks, I leave the UK, to take part in the "Caucasian Challenge", that is one reason why I purchased the Sand tracks etc.

Ed
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 10:59 pm

edwillcox wrote:
Hello to all,
Two questions which I need answering please.

My new sand tracks are damn heavy, I imagine that both tracks are mounted on the same side of the vehicle, but having never used them or tried to mount them on my Landy, before I just want to be sure before I start.

Secondly, I want to buy 2m of thick, heavy chain and a couple of high quality padlocks, has anyone ever used a length of chain to secure ladders/tracks. onto their racks ?
You only asked one question (didn't you??? The first was a statement about ladders on the same side scratch ) and it seems nobody has ever used chain to secure sand ladders so didn't respond.

One thought Ed, if you do use chain & padlocks in addition to Mantec's brackets, I would suggest you purchase a PVC covered chain or the rattling and clanking will drive you mad. Just Google "plastic coated chain" and you'll find loads, all in pretty colours to match your Landy. cheers
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:01 am

Alternatively you could use heat shrink tubing which is cheap, slip over the chain and apply a little heat and it shrinks, alternatively you could follow Tom's excellent suggestion and buy plastic coated chain and still slip some heat shrink over it for added protection.
Back to top Go down
paulnb57
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 4:50 am

Bicycle inner tube is also good to thread chain inside to stop rattles.

Paul
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 5:34 am

Sounds like these tracks are PSP (pierced steel plank) , if so we found you can cut them down to 2 thirds of the origional width and they still work fine

Also if they are PSP cut all the interlooking clips off the side as they are damn dangerous and easily cut your hand

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXrPbVInBR7iW2R51wqpM7GfQbL6sEr-_Pu01Ay6GRp1dp9SwBtV0gxtA3YA

Any mounting mechanism must also allow for the fact they bend when used so may not go back on the truck quite so easily

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 11:30 am

paulnb57 wrote:
Bicycle inner tube is also good to thread chain inside to stop rattles. Paul
Now there's an idea. If Africa they are just as likely to nick the chain and leave the sand ladders, more uses!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Information needed please   Information needed please Empty

Back to top Go down

Information needed please
Page 1 of 1