4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Not So Sure

Go down 
+3
Tom Mc
roamingman
tecmic
7 posters
AuthorMessage
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:12 am

Allo,

I've read that the forum welcomes all marques of 4x4 but from what I've seen so far it appears that most posts are from serious 'off-roaders'! Unimogs and other safari type transport very much in evidence. I make no secret about it, I'll be indulging in very little actual off-road stuff! My impending RAV4 ownership is more of a hedge against the possibility of 150mm of snow in the country lane where I Live, although I like the idea of being able to drive into a muddy field to attend a local country fair or some such event.

Also, two Golden Retrievers will enjoy a bit more comfort during the 45 minute trip to an extended walk at the Westonbirt Aboretum though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.calnemac.com
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyWed May 16, 2012 8:55 am

yes mainly for overland travel, but thier is some great advice on here, also if you have a good read and check out some of the events, you might see one near you, and come along for a meet and a chat, plus a drink, clinking teacups

or a cheers1
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyWed May 16, 2012 11:13 am

Yep, I suppose we do tend to go on a tad about overland travel (fair enough given the name of the forum that's) and off-roading from basic Greenlaning to international rally-raids like the Dakar, but that's only because in the main we're mostly motoring enthusiasts who get full use out of their vehicle's four-wheel-drive systems.

On the other hand, the vast majority of 4x4 vehicles on British roads will rarely ever need to call upon the additional traction that's sitting under them, hence they wouldn't in a million years dream of frequenting a forum such as this. That's not to say they are not welcome here, it's just you have bothered whereas they haven't.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is ... one may like mucking about on a river in a little motorboat, but it shouldn't stop owners from chewing the cud on a forum that talks about Fastnet Racing, Caribbean cruises or single-handed circumnavigations of the world.

Each to their own! cheers1
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyThu May 17, 2012 12:05 pm

My boat won't go on many rivers because they're too small Tom, can you dredge a few for me.
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyThu May 17, 2012 6:04 pm

i haven,t got a boat, scratch ,,,what are you talking about,, :shock: ,,who are you again,,,,?????? stupid
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyThu May 17, 2012 7:03 pm

Well said Tom. Couldn't agree more.
Back to top Go down
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:49 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Yep, I suppose we do tend to go on a tad about overland travel (fair enough given the name of the forum that's) and off-roading from basic Greenlaning to international rally-raids like the Dakar, but that's only because in the main we're mostly motoring enthusiasts who get full use out of their vehicle's four-wheel-drive systems.

On the other hand, the vast majority of 4x4 vehicles on British roads will rarely ever need to call upon the additional traction that's sitting under them, hence they wouldn't in a million years dream of frequenting a forum such as this. That's not to say they are not welcome here, it's just you have bothered whereas they haven't.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is ... one may like mucking about on a river in a little motorboat, but it shouldn't stop owners from chewing the cud on a forum that talks about Fastnet Racing, Caribbean cruises or single-handed circumnavigations of the world.

Each to their own! cheers1

Don't get me wrong, I've absolutely no problem with whatever vehicle people choose, in fact it's interesting to see what others get up to! Safari's or extended trips into other countries get my attention ont telly. Although, the Top Gear foray into south America was entertaining but somewhat...contrived? Would you keep driving whilst gasping for oxygen? Despite it's condition or lack of it, the Range Rover 'did what it says on the tin' and showed that, even in old age it's a king among 4x4's!!!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyFri May 18, 2012 12:05 pm

Tuggy - ease up on that 14% Spanish plonk mate!!! glug Laughing

That South American Top Gear trek was good, but yes, very contrived. Didn't spot them myself, but on another forum at the time they were counting the back-up 4x4's lurking in the background. Still fun though.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:13 pm

Ive got over 1000 posts and My "Overland Travel" was alot of Touring England, Guernsey & Jersey with the odd fishing trip to France. Going off road for about 45 mis once a month. I would not worry about if you fit in, there is all kind on here mate. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
tecmic
Rookie
Rookie
tecmic

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptyFri May 18, 2012 8:55 pm

Thanks Jas but I wasn't worrying about 'fitting in', more about whether I'd see stuff relevant to my 'Ladies' 4x4 Wink
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptySat May 19, 2012 12:25 am

Tecmic, one of the beauties of this forum is the wide range of vehicles people have, the various uses people put them too, and the fact that apart from a bit of light hearted banter people don't get into the usual petty arguments about what 4X4 is best.

This is because like many adults we all understand that people are of different ages, have different backgrounds, have different budgets, and have different requirements from a vehicle; take a number of other 4X4 sites who engage in these petty and worthless arguments, they all tend to stick to one marque and its variants and argue its better than other vehicles and this restricts peoples learning of vehicles and what can be done with them.

With so many vehicles to look at on one site, people find more information about a range of vehicles and don't become brainwashed in their thoughts, if someone modifies a vehicle it lets others see what they have done, and many can adapt a design for their own vehicle and share detailed information on this adaption. Basically its this simple, we spend time discussing our hobby and helping others where we can and not criticising them for what they drive.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptySat May 19, 2012 3:51 am

Well said that man, clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure EmptySat May 19, 2012 11:38 am

tecmic wrote:
my 'Ladies' 4x4 Wink
laughing pound laughing pound laughing pound

LIKE IT!!!

When the Vitara first appeared they quickly became known a "hairdresser's motors", but ever since then there have been many 'soft-roaders' introduced, nowadays folk don't even bother taking the mick. Besides, vehicles like the Freelander, X-Trail and Panda 4x4 have proved that small, non-live axle vehicles can often go places their heavyweight cousins can only dream about.

I have long since realised that even my beloved Range Rover Classic can't go everywhere and suit every role, so now I just go by the old adage ... horses for courses. If a vehicle does what you need it to do, that's all that matters.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Not So Sure Empty
PostSubject: Re: Not So Sure   Not So Sure Empty

Back to top Go down

Not So Sure
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Vehicles - Japanese 4x4-
Jump to: