4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Admiration for the Ancients

Go down 
+2
Tom Mc
Vicar
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Vicar
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
Vicar

Admiration for the Ancients Empty
PostSubject: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 10:46 am

Admiration for the Ancients IMG_3279

Admiration for the Ancients IMG_3278

I must begin by stating that this idea was set up by the previous owner. However this may be new to some and old hat to others on this forum. I have great admiration for the Greeks and Romans and all the other ancient civilizations that did the bulk of the hard work in coming to grips with their environment and developed their societies. idea study

Of course then they used the only computer they had which makes their results even more tremendous. No calculator of iPad then. Today you could go out and buy a reversing camera or adopt a bit of the old fashioned angle of the dangle. Using basic geometry and the mark one eyeball one can set up a crude reversing aid that can be used if you are alone on your travels and do not have a spotter. Rolling Eyes

Taking a line from the base of the side mirror to an object behind the vehicle you can then place a mark on the wing over the back wheel as seen in the photo. People will have different head height, but basically the side mark is set so that when sat at the wheel the base of the reflection in the mirror lines up to a spot on the ground at the rear of the vehicle. This may not work on vehicles without a pronounced wing over the wheel.

Naturally when manoeuvring in a tight spot you would need to use an object as a focal point be it natural or one that you have placed to assist you. thumbsup

Now I wouldn't be game to try this at Beachy Head but it is something that may come in handy one day and a small sticker on the side is no big deal.

Keith cheers1
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyMon Dec 19, 2011 1:47 pm

Me, I lean out of the window and go "beep beep beep". stupid Laughing

Not so silly though, method in my madness. Always gets a laugh, plus when you literally can't see out of the back when you're reversing, if there is somebody there they soon shift as 2+ tons heads their way ... and I'm ancient! Sad
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 3:35 am

[quote=" and I'm ancient! Sad [/quote]

YOU SAID IT
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyTue Dec 20, 2011 2:47 pm

Oi!!! Re-arrange into a well know saying ... kettle, the, black, pot, calling. Razz
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 2:51 am

Well you did, but if you recone your ancient! cheers1

my kids must be right they call me a Dinosaur. affraid

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 3:21 am

that looks like a very heavy kite [90],,,,, :shock: is the rock stopping you from blowing away.... thumbsup .
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 am

Simple but effective. A lot of the HGV training places use a similar idea for the reversing excercise too thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Vicar
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
Vicar

PostSubject: Admiration for the Ancents   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 5:52 am

Hello Tuggy,

Actually you make an interesting point about the 90 being a kite. idea I should keep the coil of string attached. The day after the post I roared ( more like rapidly left at the best speed I could muster from the LR ) out of a car park without first firmly shutting the drivers door. stupid Sharp left; door makes rapid arc with me luckily secured by a seat belt trying to grab hold it to prevent it hitting anything.

Wasn't till I got home I realised the door preventer had become slightly bent and dislocated. doh

Such is life. Looking on the bright side I am soon to take delivery of a Series 2 LWB diesel flatbed that has been a farm vehicle all its life. thumbsup Whilst it shows it's age the metal is good as it has always been kept in a shed when not in use. This will give me a chance to practice some mechanical wat - zits on, knowing that if I have any problems it is not my daily drive. scratch study

Panel damage may occur due to the fact the wife doesn't know about it yet. Problem is this could cost me another horse Rolling Eyes

Vicar
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyWed Dec 21, 2011 7:16 am

Vicar wrote:
Problem is this could cost me another horse Rolling Eyes
lol!
Back to top Go down
traveloworld
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Hi,
I can't say any thing just the picture. whole story can be know through picture. cheers1
Back to top Go down
http://www.traveloworld.co.uk/flights-to-orlando.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Admiration for the Ancients   Admiration for the Ancients Empty

Back to top Go down

Admiration for the Ancients
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Traveller’s tips-
Jump to: