4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Defender auto?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Defender auto?   Defender auto? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 3:30 am

Did they ever make a auto defender? In uk or import?

TJ
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defender auto?   Defender auto? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 5:02 am

Defender 90 for uk 110 for export clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Jas
Admin
Jas

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defender auto?   Defender auto? EmptySat Jun 25, 2011 5:16 am

That's interesting.

I read a few posts on a Icelandic forum and there was a HUGE 110 with a auto transmission on there. Not seen anything like that before.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defender auto?   Defender auto? EmptySun Jun 26, 2011 9:45 pm

Don't think there's many floating about in TDI but it's an easy enough conversion to do. You can rob most of the bits off a TDI auto Disco.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Jas
Admin
Jas

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defender auto?   Defender auto? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 6:55 am

I was looking at one for work fleet. They needed something to carry tools, tow trailers and drive in and out of fields etc. I went to view a manual td5 today. It is indeed a strong, sturdy truck but I found it hard work to drive. I'm not just saying that because I own a auto, I just found it was hard work to get the vehicle up to speed, shifting gears etc Its more hard work than any other manual 4x4 IMO.
Still I can see why fellow forum members have them, tough, simple, off road ready and soooooooo much space. Bit pricey tho.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defender auto?   Defender auto? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 9:12 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

I was looking at one for work fleet. They needed something to carry tools, tow trailers and drive in and out of fields etc. I went to view a manual td5 today. It is indeed a strong, sturdy truck but I found it hard work to drive. I'm not just saying that because I own a auto, I just found it was hard work to get the vehicle up to speed, shifting gears etc Its more hard work than any other manual 4x4 IMO.
Still I can see why fellow forum members have them, tough, simple, off road ready and soooooooo much space. Bit pricey tho.

TJ

TD5's drive differently to other stuff, to make it work it sounds like you are revving the nuts off it (but you aren't it just sounds that way) but they do pull very well. Great for towing full weight and they zap along well on the road too. They are very easily tuned too - seen a few over 200hp if that's your cup of tea. I still prefer my TDi though Very Happy

Oh, and a diesel auto defender just feels all wrong if that makes sense.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Jas
Admin
Jas

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defender auto?   Defender auto? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 9:53 am

Oh don't get me wrong it would be ideal for most people, but its not really for me. And as most people I work with are similar to my self I'm quite sure that it wont go down too great.
It did pull well and the engine sounded sweet, a little loud on the road but then its different to what I'm used to, Pick ups, Jap & Korean stuff. I was not revving it lots the gears were just abit close, so I had to change often. Still a great truck tho, just not my cup o tea.

TJ
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defender auto?   Defender auto? EmptyMon Jun 27, 2011 7:10 pm

Interesting replies abouit the TD%.
I've only driven one for a very short distance. I too found it hard work to drive. Foot hard on throttle all the time. The one I drove had been chipped but I wasn't impressed.
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defender auto?   Defender auto? EmptyWed Jun 29, 2011 6:26 pm

We never got ANY auto Defenders in Aus. If you want one you have to do a conversion. Not that I ever wanted one, I don't particularly like driving autos, although I do agree they are far better in stop/start traffic.

I never had a problem driving our TD5 Defender. In fact I loved it. But then I don't drive fast. Driving Defenders fast costs too much in fuel consumption....90kph tops for me 99% of the time Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Defender auto? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Defender auto?   Defender auto? Empty

Back to top Go down

Defender auto?
Page 1 of 1