4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Engel Fridge Freezer

Go down 
+8
tacr2man
roamingman
Chris S
4x4overlander
Vixen
Hillbilly Raider
Tom Mc
horacebat
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 4:00 am

We got are engal second hand, came with coverso just left it on, clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyThu Feb 10, 2011 8:45 pm

4x4overlander wrote:
We use insulated jackets on both our Engel and ARB fridges.

Covers are rather dirty and have taken some punishment from putting items in and out of vehicles. What the actual thermal insulation is I do not know.

Helps keep fridge in decent condition.

HTH

Brendan

Wot he said....my Engel lives in it's cover also. Certainly protects it from knocks and scrapes.
Back to top Go down
tacr2man
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 4:53 am

The insulated cover for the engel helps reduce the duty cycle in high ambients , I had a small engel , but when I changed I went to a Supakool (Aussie made fridge) as it out performed the engel , it has twin motors and fan forced cooling interior.
I have heard good things about waeco and National Luna , so its not quite the one horse race it once was, especially when you look at engel prices . JMHO
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 6:08 am

The cheapest price for an Engel MT45 is about £655 whereas the ARB fridge is about £735 so the Engel has the edge over the Engel on price.

But are you comparing like with like?

ARB fridge lid stays on. Costs £6 to stop the Engel lid sliding off

ARB battery safe guard buit in. Cost £52 extra for the Engel battery monitor

ARB temperature display inbuilt. Costs an extra £24 for the Engel temperature monitor. Yes this is a remote one

Now the price difference has disappeared

Internal volume?

ARB 47 litre, Engel 40 litre

We have both fridges in our vehicles and know which one we prefer. Also we have battery monitors on the split charging systems as well

HTH

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 6:42 am

Interesting comparison. So apart from the price difference, no negatives for the ARB compared to the Engel then?
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 am

So far none that we have come across.

There are some other clever design features in the ARB such as curved interior corners which makes cleaning it easier and the drain plug.

The ARB fridge does not look as tough as the Engel but it is. It has powder coated steel sides which gives it the impression that it is made from plastic but that is not the case.

One person expressed concern about the front latch and thought it would break. However we have been using one for about a year and the last 5 months it has been used daily down at the lock up and at home with no problems.

Have not 'played' with the other ARB fridges in their range but would expect them to be of the same standard.

I do not have personal experience of either the Waeco or National Luna fridges

HTH

Brendan
Back to top Go down
kevinf
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: fridge wars   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptySun Feb 27, 2011 7:05 am

my vote goes to engel
had one for 3 years now spends all the time its not in the back of the landie as a counter top freezer in the kitchen,when its in the vehicle the power consumption is minimul,its also been to center parc's one christmas and it payed for its self with the amount of money we've saved being able to carry food with us and not rely on over priced camp/holiday centre shops
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 5:45 pm

Waeco fridges had a problem with the lids warping and not sealing properly. Not sure if that issue has been fixed.

My Engel has a digital temp display on it. Not sure if they all do, but I know ones made before my model did not. Out of interest, I have not had any problems with the lid falling off. The cover velcros to the lid and that tends to keep it in place. It does occassionally slide over slightly, but has never been a problem. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 5:48 pm

4x4overlander wrote:
So far none that we have come across.

There are some other clever design features in the ARB such as curved interior corners which makes cleaning it easier and the drain plug.

Brendan

Brendan, the Engel has also got curved interior corners...or at least mine does Wink
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 28, 2011 8:11 pm

Just spent last week getting stuff in and out of a Waeco.

Not impressed with catches or slid sliding on hinges.

OK not a scientific test but I personally would rank ARB 1, Engel 2 and Waeco 3 with National Luna being an unknown quantity to myself.

Standard ARB in UK costs more then standard Engel but buy the add on's to Engel so you have the sme spec/type of fridge there is little in it on price.

Brendan
Back to top Go down
horacebat
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: My Engel!   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyTue Mar 01, 2011 6:41 am

Well .. I've had a couple of weeks of living with my engel and it must be said is the beeze knees!. It's not the quietest in the world, and some may say its a bit industrial! (mines a second hand one, with none of the niceties!), but all in all, its pretty good!
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 6:31 am

Another vote Engel. Especially if you get the Two zone for it.

Six months none stop use.......The Numax battery stood up well. 36 hours at 36 deg C ambiant before the Engel battery moniter cut it off.
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 8:13 am

ARB Fridge costs £737

47 Litre Fridge Freezer Specifications
Capacity:
47 litres (72 x 375ml cans)
External Dimensions: H508mm x W380mm x D705mm
Internal Dimensions:
Fruit & dairy compartment: H206mm x W285mm x D151mm
Main compartment: H401mm x W285mm x D337mm
Weight: 22.5kg
Cooling Capacity: +10°C to -18°C
Power: Built-in 12/24V DC and 100-240V AC power
Integrated battery protection system
Current Draw: 0.87 amps/hour*
*Power consumption tested at 3°C cabinet temperature, 26°C-31°C ambient temperature range, test duration of 66 hours and supply voltage of 12V DC

Engel Fridge Costs £692.59

FEATURES:
100% CFC Free Automatic Voltage Selection AC / DC Right Angle DC / AC Leads
Thermostat Controlled Generator & Solar Panel Compatible Turbo Fan
Energy Efficient Sawafuji Swing Motor Strong Construction Carry Handles
Low DC Current Draw: 12V 2.5 Amps Compact & Lightweight Stainless Steel Door Latch
Digital Temperature Guage Noise Level: 32dB 3 Year Manufacturers Warranty
Silver Metallic Finish Polyurethane Insulation
SPECIFICATIONS:
Litres 40 Litres (60 x 375mm Cans)
H x W x D 508mm x 631mm x 360mm
H x W x D 370mm x 380mm x 260mm

So Engel fridge is apparently cheaper then the ARB. Buy the Engel battery monitor at £52.14, so in fact the Engel is actually smaller and more expensive then the ARB.

YES, we do have both an Engel and an ARB fridge in use in our vehicles

Yes we have intelligent slit charging systems in both our vehicles. The IBS systems have a continuous display of both battery voltages whereas the Gensis system works slightly different and whereas the battery voltages can be displayed they are not displayed continuously.

Currently all our Land Rovers run on Odyssey batteries which are combined starter/leisure batteries

HTH

Brendan
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 6:42 pm

Brended
Will you please explain to me how these "intelligent" charge systems work that keep your battery charged ALL the time ?

Most I've seen are a set of fairy lights with a relay inside the box.
I still don't understand how they work when the engine isn't working ??
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptySun Apr 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Well since it is obvious that question is not aimed at me, I will not bother even trying to answer it!

Brendan
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 1:38 am

4x4overlander wrote:

Yes we have intelligent slit charging systems in both our vehicles. Brendan
What's this? On second thought, don't answer!!! affraid
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2011 7:26 am

Tom Mc wrote:
4x4overlander wrote:

Yes we have intelligent slit charging systems in both our vehicles. Brendan
What's this? On second thought, don't answer!!! affraid

Trust YOU to notice that typo!

Now how do I answer that?

Oooops sorry I can't this is a family friendly forum Razz

Brendan
Back to top Go down
landy andy
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 7:11 am

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyWed Apr 13, 2011 11:39 am

Innocent little me, perish the thought? Must be your mind Bedlam ... opps, another darn typo! Razz
Back to top Go down
trs5
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: I have an Engel for sale if you are still looking.    Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 06, 2012 10:02 pm

horacebat wrote:
I'm on the lookout for an Engel. If you know of any "Good Value" Second hand ones, please let me know.

Many thanks

PB.

I have an Engel for sale if you are still looking.
It's a 60L comes with both leads, 2 baskets and 2 handles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engel Fridge Freezer   Engel Fridge Freezer - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Engel Fridge Freezer
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2