4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

----------------------------

Go down 
+4
Chris S
freespirit4x4
Jas
Biodoctor
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Biodoctor
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

---------------------------- Empty
PostSubject: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 9:22 am

I

Last edited by Biodoctor on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptyFri Jan 07, 2011 10:34 pm

Thats nice, i was looking to get a winch bumper for my truck, but there is not alot of options so i will neet to make one or get one made. Im looking to get a tubular design like you find on lots of toyota's and nissans in australia.

Fue Questions:

What size winch should i fit? And What brand?

Kerb weight: 2300kg
Gross weight: 2900kg

And if i make or get made a custom fabricated tubular bumper then how will this effect my driver/passenger airbag?

Jas

Back to top Go down
Biodoctor
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 12:08 am

-

Last edited by Biodoctor on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 12:18 am

Biodoctor wrote:

Terracan Jas,

I got my winch from autolift (see link below) ,it's rated at 10,000 lbs and has been good on the few times that ive used it,the cost was £ 325.00 inc vat delivered and that included the synthetic rope.

another option is a "tirfor",obviously these are a manually operated winch but can be attached to the front or rear of the vehicle,but will need to be stored somewhere.

http://www.electricwinchshop.co.uk/

Ta for that link there is a large selection Ill send them a email with a fue questions.

I bin reading some reviews on a superwinch husky, ppl say they are very tough and reliable but they are ££££££

TJ
Back to top Go down
Biodoctor
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 12:31 am

Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 1:34 am

I would'nt be using it that much. But if i go off on my own its a good reasurance to have a winch just in case. I was considering geting a Locker but with the cost for a ARB locker, compresor and labour to fit it i could get a winch bumper or a hidden winch mount and winch installed for the same money. I look at it as a Locker will get you so far, but a winch will get you out

Jas
Back to top Go down
Biodoctor
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 2:51 am

Back to top Go down
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 3:07 am

i supply the warn winch, and the super winch, i have had very good feed back from the ones i have sold from these two ranges,

from personal experiance you get what you pay for especially with winches theres a rubbish small off-road site in derbyshire with one hole that was challenging, basically it was a swamp and i had paid my £25 to get in and about 1hr after entry was bored so decided to tackle this hole Laughing ooops turned out to be a swamp had two v8 light weights try and pull me out, no chance then the lads with the winches came to the rescue first off a no brand one ( no brand meanin i hadn't heard of it before ) at first all was going well and then the winch burnt out Evil or Very Mad ( i beleive it was fairly new too ) thankgod some one had a warn winch fitted to recover me as the site tractor could get that far in due to the trees Laughing there not particuarily fast but they pull and pull and keep pulling Laughing

the key thing with home made bumpersis the mountings, they have to be strong and don't take risks, on all our vehicles the front bumpers are extremely strong
the one pictured here looks very nice i have to say, i would like to see it up close

cheers kieran
Back to top Go down
http://www.freespirit4x4.co.uk
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 9:56 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

Ta for that link there is a large selection Ill send them a email with a fue questions.

I bin reading some reviews on a superwinch husky, ppl say they are very tough and reliable but they are ££££££

TJ

Jas, Co-incidentally I've got a SW Husky sat in the shed I was thinking about selling - let me know if it's of interest and I can sort some photos.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptySat Jan 08, 2011 11:54 am

Biodoctor wrote:
I wanted to fit a winch but didn't like the available winch bumpers.....so i made my own low profile one...sexy init
Does look good. cheers
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 12:46 pm

Fitting a tubular bumper will affect the triggering mechanism for the airbags, it is important to get one which is approved for your vehicle as these are tested to ensure they do not affect it.
Back to top Go down
MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner
MrLeadfoot

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:11 pm

Assassin wrote:
Fitting a tubular bumper will affect the triggering mechanism for the airbags, it is important to get one which is approved for your vehicle as these are tested to ensure they do not affect it.
airbags on a 90?
Back to top Go down
https://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 7:19 pm

I think A was referring to TJ and his airbag question

Quote :

And if i make or get made a custom fabricated tubular bumper then how will this effect my driver/passenger airbag?

Jas

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
MrLeadfoot
Cleaner
Cleaner
MrLeadfoot

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptyThu Jan 13, 2011 11:22 pm

crosed wire adore
Back to top Go down
https://gs136.photobucket.com/groups/q176/P3MU9QIL52/
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- EmptyFri Jan 14, 2011 5:58 am

Overlapping steel tubes in this case.

You cannot impede the trigger switch for an airbag or other crash safety device or it will not activate correctly. Usually these are designed into the surrounding steel of the vehicle body so they neither trigger too erly or too late.

All it means in reality is that anyone manufacturing commercially has to incorporate this into their designs so it is not impeded, and reputable manufacturers test theirs so they gain approval.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ----------------------------    ---------------------------- Empty

Back to top Go down

----------------------------
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Vehicle recovery-
Jump to: