4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

New to the forum

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Klee
Rookie
Rookie

New to the forum Empty
PostSubject: New to the forum   New to the forum EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 1:04 am

My wife and I are considering an overland 15' box on a Fuso chassis, the truck is $65,000 CAN dollars, companies want $200,000 for the box, fully loaded, doing simple math, the owner of one company says the labour is about 1400 man hours, components are about $50,000, I get $100,000 to build, adding a reasonable profit of 30% I get $130,000, why are they trying to charge $200,000 for a box? Blissmobil is the same including shipping to Canada, about $200,000-$230,000 pus

Why so much??

Does anybody know any companies in North America that are more reasonable?

We are ready to give up on the expedition 4X4 idea, it seems to expensive, we could make it work, but at over $300,000 (this is on the low side) we do not feel the value is there
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

New to the forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the forum   New to the forum EmptySun Sep 16, 2018 5:02 pm

Hi Klee, kind of quiet on tis forum theses days...most everyone has wandered off to FB and other places. My strongest recommendation to you is to head to one of the European, especially UK shows like Adventure Overland in September. There you will see every variety of home built overlander and some factory builds. You could spend an outrageous amount of money or find something less flashy but still comfortable. Better to spend a couple of thousand on the scouting before those huge numbers you mentioned. You might even pick up a bargain at the show. Good luck!
Back to top Go down
ogb
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

New to the forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the forum   New to the forum EmptyMon Sep 17, 2018 7:58 am

Seems a little pricey considering what can be done for a lot less in Europe. What spec did you outline to the manufacturer? Gold taps?

I agree with Tembo - have a look online to see what's available on this side of the pond. Depending on your ambitions it might be worth buying something over here anyway and save the hassle of shipping it. An alternative to the 2 annual AO shows there's a huge one in Germany in June next year; well worth a visit if you have a blank sheet of paper for your design and willing to study the market.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. A little quiet but still worth a look occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to the forum Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to the forum   New to the forum Empty

Back to top Go down

New to the forum
Page 1 of 1