4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

The Old F20

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

The Old F20 Empty
PostSubject: The Old F20   The Old F20 EmptyMon Oct 30, 2017 2:55 pm

Its happened, the F20 has been taken off the road and is awaiting repairs and refurbishment.

With the front end stripped of its inner and outer wings and its front panel the radiator was drained the big GM V8 was exposed, with its quick connectors and single multi plug connections removed it was out with the engine, I am so glad I spent the time installing quick connectors and a single multi plug connection, and with the transmission brake and propshafts disconnected it was engine out time. Nearly forgot the exhaust, oh bugger, out with a disc cutter and cut through it, and with everything removed out came the engine and transmission. That was half an afternoon taken up.

Masked up the engine and hooked it up to the teleporter and took it outside where it was sprayed with degreaser and fettled with a paint brush, oh sod that, out with a yard brush and give it a really good fettle and then a good jet wash to remove the crud from several years of abuse of off roading and awkward to clean areas.

What little interior there is was stripped out and everything was removed ready for replacement, its very easy when you remove the soft top as you have excellent headroom to work. Grandson came round and saw what I was doing and changed into his old clothes and removed the rest of the exhaust with a small grinder and removed the fuel tank and its associated brackets. He was given a set of drawings along with a sheet of stainless steel and told to make the new fuel tank which he did, and he did an excellent job.

Meanwhile, I removed the exhaust manifolds from the engine and made up some new stainless steel headers and did this on the engine while installing studs to replace the original bolts, and then timed the engine and fitted timing pins and removed the supercharger and its drive belt, grandson asked about a new gasket and was given the old gasket and a sheet of gasket paper and told to make a new one, which he did. The new one was a perfect fit as he knew I don't tolerate sloppy engineering and he daren't produce sloppy engineering.

While the supercharger was off he stripped it and cleaned it, he replaced the bearings and cleaned out its bearing oil feeds and reassembled it and fitted a blanking plate to the bearing face, he sprayed it bright red as he found some lying about, meanwhile I sprayed the engine and went off to TIG weld the new stainless headers while the paint dried.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

The Old F20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Old F20   The Old F20 EmptyTue Oct 31, 2017 3:36 am

All sounding like a good days work, grandson seems to be a chip of yourself, doing sterling work after instructions from your good self.  Perhaps some pictures of finished work.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

The Old F20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Old F20   The Old F20 EmptyTue Oct 31, 2017 6:21 am

It was several days work, and if we don't teach children how to do things what will the future be like I wonder.

How many youngsters can change a fuse, indeed, how many can actually take the top off a plug; as you know I am a big believer in teaching practical skills to youngsters and if you cannot pass on skills to your own family where will we be in the future.

One downside was that I was stung for a new all in one inverter welder for him, but hey, its only money and its not as though I can't afford it; that said it gives him scope and he is an excellent TIG welder and is improving both his MIG and stick skills, and with TIG he is refining his bodywork skills and producing some excellent work already.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

The Old F20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Old F20   The Old F20 EmptyTue Oct 31, 2017 6:42 am

Totely agree with you, I have shown my children things they need in life, my third son is welding my Discovery 1 G-WAC for me and helping me with other bits and bobs, second son is good with electric's, both daughter's are able to do things in there homes, and third son is good allrounder, grandchildren too young yet but I help them with school work and tetch them to think for themselves.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Sponsored content

The Old F20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Old F20   The Old F20 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Old F20
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Vehicles - Japanese 4x4-
Jump to: