Its happened, the F20 has been taken off the road and is awaiting repairs and refurbishment.
With the front end stripped of its inner and outer wings and its front panel the radiator was drained the big GM V8 was exposed, with its quick connectors and single multi plug connections removed it was out with the engine, I am so glad I spent the time installing quick connectors and a single multi plug connection, and with the transmission brake and propshafts disconnected it was engine out time. Nearly forgot the exhaust, oh bugger, out with a disc cutter and cut through it, and with everything removed out came the engine and transmission. That was half an afternoon taken up.
Masked up the engine and hooked it up to the teleporter and took it outside where it was sprayed with degreaser and fettled with a paint brush, oh sod that, out with a yard brush and give it a really good fettle and then a good jet wash to remove the crud from several years of abuse of off roading and awkward to clean areas.
What little interior there is was stripped out and everything was removed ready for replacement, its very easy when you remove the soft top as you have excellent headroom to work. Grandson came round and saw what I was doing and changed into his old clothes and removed the rest of the exhaust with a small grinder and removed the fuel tank and its associated brackets. He was given a set of drawings along with a sheet of stainless steel and told to make the new fuel tank which he did, and he did an excellent job.
Meanwhile, I removed the exhaust manifolds from the engine and made up some new stainless steel headers and did this on the engine while installing studs to replace the original bolts, and then timed the engine and fitted timing pins and removed the supercharger and its drive belt, grandson asked about a new gasket and was given the old gasket and a sheet of gasket paper and told to make a new one, which he did. The new one was a perfect fit as he knew I don't tolerate sloppy engineering and he daren't produce sloppy engineering.
While the supercharger was off he stripped it and cleaned it, he replaced the bearings and cleaned out its bearing oil feeds and reassembled it and fitted a blanking plate to the bearing face, he sprayed it bright red as he found some lying about, meanwhile I sprayed the engine and went off to TIG weld the new stainless headers while the paint dried.