4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Popski's Private Expeditions?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Popski's Private Expeditions? Empty
PostSubject: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptySun Mar 12, 2017 8:48 pm

I have been thinking....and yes, I know that usually only leads to trouble. And this may be one of my more crazier ideas.

Back when I was in the military and a young NCO in a reconnaissance platoon, I picked up a book by a long-dead Lt Colonel named Vladamir Peniakoff. His book was the story of one of the British army's first, and smallest, special forces units...Popski's Private Army. That book became my 'bible' as a soldier and influenced much of my career afterwards. Some of Popski's exploits are legendary and would seem far more likely in a cheap Hollywood film than real life. But one thing that has stuck with me all these years was the love all the men in his unit had for roaming far and wide across Libya, Tunisia and Italy in their open top jeeps.

For anyone who knows me, it will come as no surprise that I only ever grudgingly put up my soft top and windscreen. I put them on from November to February here in England as Tembo is my daily driver, but at the first hint of spring in March, the top goes away until at least Halloween. I also notice that in Land Rover magazines, Pinterest postings and Youtube videos there are lots of pics of people driving open top jeeps and Land Rovers. So, I am not the only one.

So...putting 1 and 2 together and getting four...I have been tossing around the idea of forming a club called 'Popski's Private Expeditions' Essentially it would be for those that like open-top travel and who are interested in some overland adventures. Jess and I have been sketching out a plan to do more Sahara trips, but also the Simpson, Namib/Kalahari and Atacama. It would be great to be able to share those with others who like a similar kind of travel.

I have run the idea past the PPA association to see if they have any objections. So far the feedback has been positive as long as we respect the 'brand.' They also need support for the PPA memorial in the special forces cemetery and another being constructed by Sam Watson in the Egyptian desert (Sam is a member of the Friends of Popski's Private Army-FoPPA association).

I have run not-for-profit clubs before and had some good successes. I figure this one could both lead to some fun trips and help support the memory of an amazing group of adventurers who should not be forgotten.

So...if anyone out there comes across another 4x4 driver who prefers a topless lifestyle...or a motorcycler who is finally ready to add two more wheels to their preferred ride, or even a military history buff who is more 'buff' than armchair...maybe point them my way. I have already told Tom I am going to be promoting this idea at AO17 along with this forum. We will see then if it has any wheels....
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 3:26 am

Have to say it's a great idea. More than that, it'll be unique, so it's an excellent idea. clapping2

However, cutting the roof off the Orangemobile may prove a tad problematic, not to mention a step too far!
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 7:32 am

Sounds a great idea, have to run it by Dilys first (maybe yes maybe no ) but wish you well. clinking teacups

Have you tried it on the HUBB.?
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptyMon Mar 13, 2017 5:54 pm

Probably won't be time to get much organized before the HUBB. We should be moving house and then I am in Egypt in May. But we will see.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptyFri Apr 28, 2017 5:47 pm

Started looking at a club logo, based on the WWII unit vehicle marker. The unit logo/hat badge was based on an astrolabe, a star chart-based ancient navigation device.

A PPA jeep with unit marker
Popski's Private Expeditions? Ppa_je11

The PPE logo
Popski's Private Expeditions? Ppe_ve10
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptyTue May 30, 2017 8:56 pm

How's the planning going James ? sound like a great idea !

Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptyWed May 31, 2017 2:23 am

Sitrep over a beer at HUBB...
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptyWed May 31, 2017 3:07 am

Tembo wrote:
Sitrep over a beer at HUBB...

Wait, out !
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptySun Oct 22, 2017 6:56 pm

I have been working on a plan to set up my own website for the PPE. Just a very basic 'who we are/what we do' kind of thing. I have designed websites before... in terms of thinking about general look and content but have never actually tried setting up one. My son Beren is far more of an expert (no surprise) and he has been giving me some good advice. There are quite a few good 'website builder' sites out there and I am looking forward to having a stab at putting one together.

I have found the process of designing the site content has also forced me to think a lot about what the PPE should be. I have used the Expedition Overland ( http://www.xoverland.com ) site as a bit of a guide. Just a bunch of people who enjoy what they do and want to share it...and wrangle in sponsors...

The PPE isn't about selling anything, nor leading paid tours, or even trying to find sponsors, since my motto is to avoid buying most of the bolt on crap that most companies flog. It is just about showing what we do and maybe giving people an alternative perspective on overland travel.

I have about two months of crazy work travel to get through ad am then going to get started on my new website, so maybe by the new year I will have something up.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? EmptyMon Oct 23, 2017 2:53 am

Sounds like a plan, look forward to seeing the website.  clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Popski's Private Expeditions?   Popski's Private Expeditions? Empty

Back to top Go down

Popski's Private Expeditions?
Page 1 of 1