4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Selling EU registered vehicle in US

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Franek
Rookie
Rookie

Selling EU registered vehicle in US Empty
PostSubject: Selling EU registered vehicle in US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 9:08 pm

Hello,

I've just registered and I'm new in here. We start an around the world trip with 1986 MB Unimog u1300 camper, we plan to finish it in USA and try to sell the vehicle there to avoid bringing it back to Europe (which is quite costly). Campers market in US seems to be quite big, so we think it's nice idea. But the question is - how to do it? Is it legal to enter the US with our vehicle and just sell it? Or there is some kind of trick to do it? Anyone of You tried to do such thing?
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Selling EU registered vehicle in US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 10:40 pm

Hi and welcome,  clinking teacups
I do not know but someone who can will be along soon.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Franek
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Selling EU registered vehicle in US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US EmptyThu Apr 14, 2016 11:13 pm

Thank You and great to know. So that, I'll wait for the anser Smile
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Selling EU registered vehicle in US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 3:40 am

Welcome to the forum. cheers

I'm afraid that I too know nothing about importation of vehicles in the USA, but I do know that if you time it right to end your journey at either ...

The eighth annual Overland Expo WEST (May 20-22 2016)
The third annual Overland Expo EAST (October 7-9 2016)

... in whatever year year you finish, you've ten times more chance of selling it. Plus of course by contacting the organisers Jonathan & Roseann Hanson in advance, I'm sure they will give you a great welcome; nice couple!
Back to top Go down
Franek
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Selling EU registered vehicle in US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 3:59 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Welcome to the forum. cheers

I'm afraid that I too know nothing about importation of vehicles in the USA, but I do know that if you time it right to end your journey at either ...

The eighth annual Overland Expo WEST (May 20-22 2016)
The third annual Overland Expo EAST (October 7-9 2016)

... in whatever year year you finish, you've ten times more chance of selling it. Plus of course by contacting the organisers Jonathan & Roseann Hanson in advance, I'm sure they will give you a great welcome; nice couple!

Thank You, good to know! But 2016 dates are not for us - in 2016 we travel through Europe and Asia, 2017 - Asia and South America, 2018 - South and Central America and in States we will be late 2018 - beginning 2019.

I asked the question because it's still possible to rearrange the route (main reason we wanted to finish our trip in North America was the possibility to sell the vehicle).
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Selling EU registered vehicle in US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 9:27 am

No, you misunderstood. I realise you're off around the world that's why I said, "... in whatever year you finish". I was only giving you the dates for 2016 assuming they will be similar a time of year in years to come. They already big shows in the States and are likely to grow, so if now they are in their third/eighth year now, by the time you make it over there, they will be in their ....XX years and massive!!!

Point is, better to finish at an event where they will welcome you (and a good chance of selling your Mog), than just arrive without attending a show - that would really be an anti-climax after your mammoth trip.

Finish with at a show, far more fun!
Back to top Go down
Franek
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Selling EU registered vehicle in US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US EmptyFri Apr 15, 2016 9:17 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Point is, better to finish at an event where they will welcome you (and a good chance of selling your Mog)

That's true. Good to know that such event exists. I will try to match our arrival to States with that dates, thanks!
Back to top Go down
AdventureTrucks
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Importing into the US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 5:33 am

Hi Franek,

Importing your Unimog into the US could be possible, but the main question is how old your vehicle is ?
Back to top Go down
http://adventure-trucks.com
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Selling EU registered vehicle in US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US EmptyFri Jul 08, 2016 4:50 pm

For the U.S. the vehicle needs to be over 25 years old I believe if it doesn't meet U.S. safety standards. So a 1986 will be fine. The question will be how much duty you will need to pay (or the buyer) as you will be importing the vehicle into the U.S. The 'Blue Book' price for a 1986 Unimog would be quite low but it may also depend on how many mods you made and what the current value is...or what the customs people assess the vehicle value as. If you tell customs the truck is worth $3000 to keep the duty low and then sell it for $20,000 you might be in trouble.

I would do some research and see if anyone else had had a similar experience. Maybe contact the organizers of the Overland Expo shows in America and see if they can connect you up with someone who has tried this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Selling EU registered vehicle in US   Selling EU registered vehicle in US Empty

Back to top Go down

Selling EU registered vehicle in US
Page 1 of 1