4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Rustyrhinos paperwork tips

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Rustyrhinos paperwork tips Empty
PostSubject: Rustyrhinos paperwork tips   Rustyrhinos paperwork tips EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 8:54 am

I am sure there are many more things to consider...and loads of sources for information about this sort of thing, but I thought it may be useful for me to contribute a few things I do, perhaps a few others could add their "real world" tips too?

Regardless of weather the countries require it, I always get an International Driving Permit. Only £20 from the AA. My reasoning is that I am a lot happier handing over that, than my actual driving license - and to date, no-one has questioned me handing over the IDP.

Everything paperwork wise is kept in a single folder, close to hand, which has individual plastic document wallets, arranged in a way that I know where everything is - makes border/police/etc checks quicker and I have found the more organised you are, the less the officials actually want to see it. Also means when I leave the car, it is all together, so it easily goes in the rucksack whenever I am leaving the car, I am quite paranoid about going anywhere without my documents.

Paper copies of all documentation incase the originals go AWOL in a seperate place.

I also have scanned copies of everything - stored securely online with encryption - my idea is if everything in the car did go missing, as long as we can get internet access amd a printer somewhere, we can at least get a copy of the documents back.

I take a very rough printed itineray of the route - i.e roughly what days we we planning to be in certain parts of the world - just to see if we are roughly on track. Very rarely looked at, only on the odd occasion when we are not sure on our progress.

Half a dozen recent passport size photos, just incase!

Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Rustyrhinos paperwork tips   Rustyrhinos paperwork tips EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 9:06 am

have more or less the same as yourself, apart from on line storage have to look into that cheers
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Rustyrhinos paperwork tips   Rustyrhinos paperwork tips EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 9:14 am

Cool Smile

Glad there is something you have not thought of hehe! I have it stored online with strong encryption....but to be honest anything online with a form of password is probably more secure than having it in the Landie or in a rucksak! Even in an email box (hotmail, gmail, etc) would probably suffice...but doing that makes me a little twitchy.
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Rustyrhinos paperwork tips   Rustyrhinos paperwork tips EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 4:15 am

An IDP is only £7.50 from the RAC.

They are also the people to issue the Carnet de Passage which is needed for certain countries.

Margaret
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Rustyrhinos paperwork tips   Rustyrhinos paperwork tips EmptyTue Sep 27, 2011 5:18 am

Some quality tips there guys, I also take a small expanding file with me with personal papers, car documents and travel insurance documents all together and photocopies of all but never even thought of keeping copies online could be as simple as emailing pdf's of the document to your gmail account password protected of course
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Rustyrhinos paperwork tips   Rustyrhinos paperwork tips EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 9:12 am

gemini wrote:
An IDP is only £7.50 from the RAC.

They are also the people to issue the Carnet de Passage which is needed for certain countries.

Margaret

You are right...I think in my head because I always get two, on for me and one for Adam, I thought "about £20". Ahem, delayed reply!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Rustyrhinos paperwork tips   Rustyrhinos paperwork tips Empty

Back to top Go down

Rustyrhinos paperwork tips
Page 1 of 1