4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Growing up in the 1950's

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Growing up in the 1950's Empty
PostSubject: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyTue May 19, 2015 10:01 pm

For those of you born in the 1950's, this will stir some memories. It's a profile of a chap whose memories of childhood pointed towards a far better environment than we have today ... or is he (and myself) looking back wearing rose-tinted glasses?

Growing up in London in the early 1950's my earliest recollections were coloured by memories of a life much quieter and calmer than seems possible now. World War 2 was not long over; people of other nationalities were a rarity; buses and trains would get you anywhere; the radio was the main national entertainment (I had a home made crystal set on the shelf over my bed); people read books for pleasure and relaxation and talked to each other with a genuine desire to connect; politicians were honourable people with a sense of responsibility and service; there was hope for what the future would bring and respect and fairness were predominant in joined up communities which took care to look after and look out for each other and their own families. Large numbers of people still went to church and Sunday School was the norm for young children. Church fairs and jumble sales were packed with people, and there was never much left afterwards.

Television (when it did arrive) was in small 9 inch screens and black and white only. There were no daytime programmes, no commercial channels, and no TV at all on Sunday nights after 6pm! Skiffle and jazz were the daring new music of the pre rock and roll era. Family Favourites, Children's Hour, the Goon Show, the Navy Lark, Beyond Our Ken, Listen with Mother, Workers' Playtime and Forces Favourites were listened to avidly. There were relatively few motor cars (and no motorways); even fewer households with a landline telephone (mobile phones had not been invented); there were two post deliveries per day - regularly - and policemen were there to protect the law abiding and not the human rights of those arrested! Winning the Football Pools was everyone's dream of making a fortune (and everyone supported a team somewhere). England did indeed seem a very green and pleasant land!
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyWed May 20, 2015 3:06 am

Can relate to all of the above, playing on bomb sites, going out in the morning for walks around all the parks, and parents not unduly worried, big bonfires in the streets, bangers to make the girls scream affraid.
And more fun clapping
Meat hanging in the butchers with sawdust on the floor, and I believe we were healthy, back then.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyWed May 20, 2015 6:02 am

The sawdust thing reminded me - remember Sainsburys, all that marble and cold meats? And Gregs as well, loads of marble and those lovely pies. Mmmmmmm!!!!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 1:03 pm

And its all gone to poopie since then.

People tread on others to get themselves ahead (or what they perceive as ahead).

Community spirit has disappeared and everyone does everything for money.

Consumerism is rampant and the younger idiots believe that psychologist invented phrase "retail therapy" and go out to spend money as a hobby.

If they don't have money they go out and borrow it and get heavily into debt.

Nobody mends things anymore, they get a man in to replace it.

Service with a smile is now give us your money and get funky off.

Nobody will stop to help a woman with a flat tyre, if they stop its to mug or sexually assault her.

Kids have no discipline and go around as if they own the place shouting "you can't touch me" yet they find out I can and will and when daddy comes around he gets one as well.

Councils have gone from being trustees to private companies trying to extort as much cash out of everyone employing civil wardens jumping on everyone they can.

We have a judicial system which has no justice, a police force which is a private Government army only concerned with acts and statutes as they bring in revenue; instead of upholding the common law and the Uk is a common law jurisdiction.

We have record levels of poverty, food banks, record levels of homeless people and fewer homeless shelters.

More people with mental issues due to the stress of modern life.

An NHS which is so corrupt and bureaucratic it beggars belief, squandering taxpayers money paying £5 for boxes of aspirin they can buy for 30p from discount stores for exactly the same product, a middle management made up mainly of non jobs on excellent salaries and benefits.

Corrupt politicians who are only interested in having their snouts in the trough instead of representing the electorate.

I could go on, buy I may need lithium myself.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyThu Jul 09, 2015 11:24 pm

oo so true you have got it spot on, in Scotland they are thinking of giving every child from birth till they
leave school a named person, who could have more control of the child than parents, it might not come off more people are in opposition,
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 4:47 am

There you go, Assassin sitting on the fence again! laughing pound
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyFri Jul 10, 2015 11:26 am

Are you going to pull the splinter out for me Tom?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptySat Jul 11, 2015 10:32 am

Yuk ... what an 'orrible thought.

The Saturday morning matinee. My favourite was Zoro!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyMon Jul 13, 2015 11:46 am

At least it will have good honest to goodness creosote on it and not one of these rubbish modern day preservatives.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 10:09 am

Creosote certainly did what it said on the tin, an unmistakable smell.

Jamboree Bags ... remember them?
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's EmptyTue Jul 14, 2015 7:57 pm

yes remember them, also juice in a funny shaped pyramid, you could get frozen or unfrozen, how about
chews for 1/4 penny, threepence piece (can not remember how many sides) still have some put away
all the old money in a box.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Growing up in the 1950's   Growing up in the 1950's Empty

Back to top Go down

Growing up in the 1950's
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Random Stuff-
Jump to: