4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Surfy
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?   Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 3:40 am

Tom Mc wrote:

What broke on the Toyota? It's done so well so far, something had to go wrong eventually!

I just had to pay for my driving censored I have to translate the issues - will do that in the next post Smile

-------

I did sleep pretty well directly at the border in my Verhicle, so glad that I`m an Overlander. Many other travellers did had to go back to the last village (aprox. 100km) - to find hopefully a bed to sleep.

As i woke up, there was already a long line of vehicles, who want to cross the border too. To bad that I didnt set my sleep camp directly on the street... So I drove to the end of the waiting line who was strongly growing, during my breakfast

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080285

After some hours I was able to cross the border and the sun slowly seems to win the fight against the weather and add beatiful colors to the truely fantastic szenery.

This let me forget that they border crew even got my wood, shrink-wrapped salami and a closed marmalade of argentina - stuff which they normally don`t take away.

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080294

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080334

Like you all did read already, I did run out of food some days ago, and have to restock now urgently. But the desert at 4000m wants to get discovered a bit.

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080320

Soon I did recognice, that also my near 300hp vehicle need to drive in the 4low, because at 4000m the power feels pretty limited.

To bad that the border crew even did catch my firewood - otherwise I`m shure that I would have rest a day more around this place. So much to discover her, so many traces in the desert seems to lead to a hidden place.

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080340

So I went back to the road, heading to "San Pedro de Atacama" a town who is one of the places who are well known as touristic places, which you find in places like tripadvisor.

What ever they may write about the small town, it is a dusty area, and anyone by feet or car is causing small or bigger dusty trace. Just the surrounding is worth to come here.

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080408

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080392

Just a small area is closed for cars, and is a bit nicer - but just for selling the usual tourist stuff.

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080393

You can book some trips there, buy the usual touristical stuff - but not much more. The Gas station actually is closed, there is no good way to restock food.
There are some small shops, you can buy chips, bread and many things, but if you look for some steaks, firewood and so on - you dont find many options.

To bad - that this issue let me pass this area that quickly, I had to go to the next bigger city another 100km, to Calama. This is a wonderful spot for restocking all stuff we overlanders need:

I got my [URL="http://www.4x4tripping.com/2014/10/test-trasharoo-Ersatzreifen-Rucksack.html"]rear-tyrebag[/URL] topped up with firewood, got 3kg of "bife the lomo (beef)", sausages ,got onions, corncob, bread, dulce de leche, honey, marmalade, jam, salami, beer - now I`m ready again for severall days in the wilderness.

Now I`m ready for the next adventure. I did head out of town - to find a wild-camp for the night, and did choose the geyser fields of „El Tatio“ as next target. Because of heavy rain in the last days, the police was not shure if it is possible to reach this area. Offically the road is closed - so I`m in, or?

The day ends at a uninhabited oasis, which just crowded over the day. I had a wonderful meal and a big camp fire at night.

More as usual - in my Travel-Blog: http://adventure-overland.blogspot.com

4x4tripping
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?   Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 7:24 am

Looks really good there, an wild, clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?   Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 EmptyThu Oct 22, 2015 3:00 am

great pics...keep em coming....a picture tells a thousand words.... clapping thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?   Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 9:46 am

tuggy wrote:
great pics...keep em coming....a picture tells a thousand words.... clapping thumbsup
I concur Captain!
Back to top Go down
Surfy
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?   Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 EmptySun May 15, 2016 9:22 am

At the next day I found a beautiful dirttrack. After 10 miles i did meet a Police car - which I did query about my Route-plan. "You can try" - thats sounds again like a challenge. So I did follow the track.

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080443

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080466

Looks I should start to navigate not only with the offline satellite Images on my IPad. I have too offline track & terrainmaps which Shows sometimes a bit more about the route...

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080476

Also with near 300 hp I did miss some power after leaving 3500m height in the andes. These steep hills are easyer to climb with Speed, but I had to use 4lo - and sometimes i had to go back and to try another path - also with 2 difflocks & muddies.

Since hours i didnt see a house or Person - an absolutely beautiful area and track!!

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080505

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080491

Beautiful Colors who you can also see in Iceland.

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080523

From the geysers I would have expected a little more, the Hotpod facilities seemed a little unkempt - and the water was for me wimps definitely too cold. So off to the mountains - the track will ultimately lead somewhere.

At a junction, I chose the way further into the mountains - but after another 20km, I discovered that the other track lead deep into a valley - what attracted me magically. So let's turn around and return.

During a short Navigation break some offroaders did meet up. The Offroad Club from Calama. We had a nice Chat, but they told me that my track will have a dead end, and it will be hard to climb up again under this conditions as a single car.

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 P1080585

To drive back the same route - Sound great to me - it was such a great ride!

More you will find at the blog as usual: Adventure-Overland

4x4tripping
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?   Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 EmptyMon May 16, 2016 3:11 am

Obviously enjoying yourself still, lucky you bumped into a Jeep convention en route! Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?   Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Adventure-Overland: Transafrica - Panamericana and next?
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2