4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Swiss Alps in March

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Swiss Alps in March Empty
PostSubject: Swiss Alps in March   Swiss Alps in March EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 10:04 am

Hi all as the title says I'm going to be in Geneva in March whats the general thought of trying some of the alpine passes to the south east of Geneva that time of year.

I have asked a few friends who live over the boarder south east area of France and they say most of the higher passes are closed from the end of November till June and at times the tunnels are also closed.

It's a long way to go to get closed out, I was wondering if anybody on here has any experience in the area in March ?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Swiss Alps in March Empty
PostSubject: Re: Swiss Alps in March   Swiss Alps in March EmptySat Aug 23, 2014 10:48 am

About five years ago, this was the middle of June approaching the col at Stelvio -

Swiss Alps in March Lr10_r11

The road was clear on the approach, but when we got there the weather really closed in. The joke was, in the valley below it was 22° so when we reached the top 'No Neck' Lee still had flip flops on! He even actually got out of the Rangie with them still on. Didn't last long though, he was soon reaching for his socks and trainers. Yes, it was bloody cold!!!

Swiss Alps in March Lr10_r12

Even when we arrived it was still 'acceptable', but within minutes the wind picked up and it became a true whiteout. The northeastern side of the pass was already closed (the next photo was facing that direction), understandably as we quickly realised. Yep, weather conditions can turn just like that up in the Alps, and that's roughly 10 weeks after you intend going. All I'll say is ... beware the ides of March!

Swiss Alps in March Lr10_r13
Back to top Go down

Swiss Alps in March
Page 1 of 1