4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

MacMillan Coast to Coast

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

MacMillan Coast to Coast Empty
PostSubject: MacMillan Coast to Coast   MacMillan Coast to Coast EmptyTue May 13, 2014 8:13 pm

Not really sure if this is justified in having a post in this forum but anyway some of the photos are good so will hopefully be of some interest.

Last weekend I helped with a MacMillan Coast to Coast charity event from Ullapool to Bonar Bridge in the Highland's. I was part of a team taking equipment into the hills, setting up and manning check points and providing first aid cover and transport. The event is open to walkers, cyclists and horse riders.

Driving the road into the hills.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Img_0510

First difficult bit.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Bog10

And I got stuck but winched myself out.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Winchi10

Camp set up and feeling smug watching people pitch tents on the wet ground.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Img_0511

Fishing umbrella mounted on the back to provide shelter from the rain.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Img_0512

This bit of the route we were on is marked at a path on the OS maps!
MacMillan Coast to Coast Img_0513

Sun coming out.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Img_0514

Think this is Beinn Dearg.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Img_0515

Winching out an 80 Series Landcruiser. There was no clear path here.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Img_0516

Using a bit of momentum.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Bog_210

Heading out.
MacMillan Coast to Coast Img_0518

It was only due to the kindness of the estates that we were allowed to drive over this private land, normally access for vehicle is not allowed and prevented by locked gates. It was great to be allowed access but we took care to minimise damage by using winches, staying on paths and tracks as much as possible and keeping speeds low.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: MacMillan Coast to Coast   MacMillan Coast to Coast EmptyWed May 14, 2014 1:31 am

"Not really sure if this is justified in having a post in this forum but anyway some of the photos are good so will hopefully be of some interest".

Of course it's of interest, no problem. How did the Ranger stack up against the other Discos, L'cruisers, etc.?
Back to top Go down
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

PostSubject: Re: MacMillan Coast to Coast   MacMillan Coast to Coast EmptyWed May 14, 2014 6:03 pm

I was pleased with the Ranger, there were several Series 2 Discoveries, an 80 Series Landcruiser, a new Hilux and a couple of 110 Defenders to compare it to.

I did get stuck in a boggy bit along with several other vehicles and I also got stuck on a large rock which was completely due to driver error  Embarassed The Hilux scrapped the ground more than the Ranger but never got stuck.

The Discoveries and Defenders provide a much better line of vision from the driving position making negotiating of obstacles easier than any the other vehicles. But I still wouldn't swap the on road comfort and performance of the Ranger for the improved off road performance of the 110.

Replacing the road tyres is next on the shopping list.

The best addition to the Ranger for this weekend was the fishing umbrella awning. I would like a Hannibal awning for the back of the truck but they are so expensive. So I bought a £15 fishing umbrella from ebay with a  shaft that can be made to come out at 45 deg. from under the umbrella and fits into a hole in the draw system in the back of the pickup. Takes 20 seconds to put up and provided shelter for cooking.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: MacMillan Coast to Coast   MacMillan Coast to Coast EmptyThu May 15, 2014 2:07 am

Loving the fishing umbrella idea, might look at rigging up something like that for the rear of the Disco to cook under in this country due to inclement weather, got an awning on the side but the simplicity of the umbrella hooked up at the rear simply brilliant  clapping2 
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: MacMillan Coast to Coast   MacMillan Coast to Coast EmptyFri May 16, 2014 7:16 am

Surprised the Hilux scrapped the ground more than the Ranger, always thought they were very good clearance-wise. That makes the Ranger quite superb. Yes, a 4x4 is only as good as it's tyres. Slicks just don't work.

£15 for a brolly ... definitely a good piece of lateral thinking. Okay so long as the wind is acceptable, otherwise a mini-disaster as it turns inside resembling a duck pond!
Back to top Go down
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

PostSubject: Re: MacMillan Coast to Coast   MacMillan Coast to Coast EmptyFri May 16, 2014 5:21 pm

I think the only real difference between the ranger and hilux was the aftermarket tow bar assemblies, mine is a little higher at the sides.

Some fishing brollies have one long edge and some have tie down hoops along that edge which could be fastened to the canopy, would help in wind a little bit.
Back to top Go down
titomendes
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
titomendes

PostSubject: Re: MacMillan Coast to Coast   MacMillan Coast to Coast EmptyFri May 16, 2014 9:08 pm

Great photos.
Glad to see the ranger behaving well in the crowd. Love that pick up.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MacMillan Coast to Coast   MacMillan Coast to Coast Empty

Back to top Go down

MacMillan Coast to Coast
Page 1 of 1