4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Surfy
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad Empty
PostSubject: The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad   The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 6:46 pm

Here are my favorite top 10 list of apps for travelling overland abroad.

Some of these apps are very useful because they offer access also while offline, others are helpful because they give you more out of a bad internet connection, or to stay in contact with your family and friends.

Like a Wifi-Scanner who shows you where you can get internet access, or an app who compress any internet traffic.

I`m pretty shure that there are apps on this list you didnt know or functions of known apps who are new to you.  

The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad IOS-Apps-die-wichtigsten-apps-fuer-reisende-overlander-im-4x4

Since I currently mostly use iOS devices (iPad, iPhone), this top list is done for these iOS based devides. But you should be able to find similar functionality too on Android or Windows based phones or tablets.

Here is the article:

4x4tripping: The 10 most important apps for Overlanders

Since it is expensive to try out many apps arround travelling, i think these lists are helpful for other travellers. So if you think that you know an App who should be named there too- please write a comment or post here your suggestions.

Surfy
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad   The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 8:44 pm

Seems like a good idea for those who have mobile phone/computers.
But for the likes of me (my kids say I am a Dinosaur) not a a lot of help.

But that's just me, so keep them coming.  clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
kevinf
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad   The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad EmptyTue Feb 25, 2014 9:22 pm

i like this post very much!
i am more of a spanner and big hammer person and find most computer talk goes straight over my head,so you need to talk very slowly!
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad   The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 4:17 am

What's an app?  scratch 

Maybe it's short for:-

1. Cox's Orange Pippin
2. Russett
3. Braeburn
4. Granny Smith

... you get the idea.  Rolling Eyes 
Back to top Go down
Surfy
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad   The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 5:10 am

I know what you are talking about.  Very Happy 

It it true that the help of a computer for travelling was for a long time not that easy. Car PCs was custom made, complicated and for many of us travellers not really necessary. With computers many things was complicated, you hear of hacking attacks, Virus, Trojans, people who loose their data because of backup failure and and and.

computer-22 

But now in the time of smartphone and tablets, the things got a lot easyier to handle. No installing stuff, no editing config files, no special know how is needed to get something out of these devices.

Such a list of Apps show you what these devices can do for us travellers. If it looks helpful, maybe it is worth to try it out  eating 

For shure it is and also dont will be really necessary - for the next 1-2 years.

Since severall cities worldwide allows to book parking ticket with an SMS (normal phone)  i guess that we have to use these devices near in the future. Not in africa, but at home  affraid 

Surfy
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad   The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad EmptyWed Feb 26, 2014 6:35 am

True. Last year in London I actually found a parking space almost next to Covent Garden (a feat in itself), then realised it was not Pay & Display, it was via mobile phone/credit card booking only. Begrudgingly I had to go through the process, which I suppose proves that even computer dummies like me can adapt if we really have to.

I wonder what will happen the day I go for it and finally purchase a tablet. Will I say to myself ... how did I manage for all those years without one? Or will I say ... Life was a lot simplier without one? I wonder???
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad   The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad Empty

Back to top Go down

The top 10 Apps for travelling overland and abroad
Page 1 of 1