4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
jackbw
Rookie
Rookie

UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? Empty
PostSubject: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptyFri Dec 13, 2013 10:43 pm

Hello Everybody,

I've only just found this forum and it looks fantastic so just a quick post to say hi and detail my trip.

I've been planning and waiting to do a big overland trip for a while now, and my time is nearing with a proposed departure date of mid feb next year Smile I have however encountered a small problem, the person I was planning on going with can no longer come. I don't fancy doing the trip alone - would like to share the experience. So I'm looking for somebody to join me, any pointers on where to ask or if your planning a similar trip - any info would be much appreciated.

Over the past year and a bit I've been rebuilding and kitting out my Defender 110 - and it is almost perfect now (in my eyes Razz). I'm a fairly young (I guess you could say) guy - 24, currently living in southern England, where the trip would start. I've accepted a job offer in Nairobi and plan to drive down and settle there keeping the car. I do have Africa experience having previously lived in Kenya for many years and driven NBO- Zim and back a few years ago. I've plenty of mechanical experience and the car is in a very good mechanical state to reduce the likelihood of any problems en-route - Its also cost a fortune!!

My proposed route is through Europe to Turkey, ferry across to Egypt then through Sudan and Ethiopia before arriving in Kenya. I'm allowing 6-8weeks for the trip itself. So it is quite quick, but I can't really take any longer due to work commitments and funding!

So, if anybody is interested in joining me there is a spare seat in the landy! Just to get this out of the way, I would expect 'your' share of the costs to be covered. That being 1/2 fuel, your visas and 1/2 ferry costs, 1/2 food costs etc. I do not expect anything for vehicle related costs!!
I'm friendly and accommodating Smile - very open to route suggestions and visiting places of personal interest, I wont just do what I want that thats that as it will be your trip too.

Departure date is flexible to some extent, I know it's very short notice but if anybody is interested, knows anybody interested or knows a good place to ask please let me know! Ideally I'm looking for somebody of similar-ish age as I just think that would work better - but I certainly wouldn't discount anybody and no offence meant!

Further to that I'll update as the planning progresses and add some photos later.

Thanks very much - I hope its okay to post this here,
Jack.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 6:35 am

Hi and welcome,  clinking teacups 
Sounds like being a good trip, seems like you have done a lot of work on planing and building your motor.
wish you luck.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
jackbw
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 8:55 am

Thanks Smile

hopefully!! A lot of work indeed, though I've spent much more time on the car as opposed to route planning. Ive just got a few final things to do before she's back on the road then all my efforts will go to back to the route.

Thanks for the welcome.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 12:39 pm

Hi Jack - welcome!  cheers 

Think you've done the right thing. You won't go very far without a decent motor, and as you're well aware, things change so rapidly around the word (Africa in particular) that you can spend ages planning, then it all changes overnight - Egypt being a case in point. Let's hope it all settle down by the time you get there.
Back to top Go down
jackbw
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptySat Dec 14, 2013 11:42 pm

Thanks for another welcome Tom  Very Happy 

Yes, good point indeed and that is my thinking! Initially I wanted to do the trip with far less of the route in Europe and go through Tunisia and Libya. But I have now discounted Libya. Egypt is possibly a problem I know, but think it's just about doable now if it doesn't get worse! Also Syria being it's awful current state is a shame - would have been nice to have more time on 'land' and drive round as opposed to a very expensive ferry!

Another question I have, that is concerning me, is the Egypt - Sudan border crossing ferry from Aswan to Wadi Halfa. I'm just not comfortable leaving the car and keys to go on a separate vessel to myself! I know there is no other way (that I know of...), and I have not read anything where something has happened to the car - or its gone missing. But The amount of time and money I've invested in the car - I'm just a bit well, overprotective! Razz

So if anybody can assure me its fine, or if by some slim chance there is a way of crossing overland that I haven't heard of please let me know Smile

Further again - if anybody wants to join me, knows somebody who might or where to ask please please get in touch - that is my most pressing concern at the moment!!

Thanks again, Jack.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptySun Dec 15, 2013 1:32 pm

Doing well, a welcome every other time.  Wink 
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptyMon Mar 10, 2014 9:37 am

Wonder if jack went ?

This was a trip going the other way but worth looking at

http://pingandnoelsblog.blogspot.co.uk/
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptyWed Mar 12, 2014 10:17 am

You could always PM Jack. As he started this topic it will pop up in his email inbox that somebody posted a reply to his appeal. Worth a try.
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 7:02 am

Just an idle wonder really Tom, rather than a must know - its like missing the last 10 minutes of a TV show, like to wrap up the story

Rich

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? EmptyThu Mar 13, 2014 12:20 pm

Perfectly understandable. Of course he could be on the road as we speak.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?   UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!? Empty

Back to top Go down

UK - Kenya Feb 2014 Companion wanted!?
Page 1 of 1