4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?

Go down 
+12
Hillbilly Raider
Biodoctor
freespirit4x4
Chris S
tuggy
Jas
rustyrhinos
4x4overlander
RLD
roamingman
Vixen
Tom Mc
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 7:37 am

AS said i made the top part and bottom 6mm ally as i have lots of it was going to build a 60FT catamaran but never got round to it always something to do for some one else bawling but you have to make a living you know what i mean
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 9:12 am

This is my camper trailer which is built on an Aussie ex-mil No5 trailer chassis. The No5 trailer was designed to be pulled by land rovers, so not only has good off road capabilities but tracks well behind a LR. This one had had the axle/spring configuration changed, so does not have the full high clearance, but I can tell you, you can hardly tell you are towing it, it rides so well Laughing Still has the lunette ring for towing so pintle hitch required Wink

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 DSCF2791

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 002Camp1

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 003Camp1

Like I said though, it doesn't go on really rough stuff...no way would I have wanted to have tried towing that across the Madigan Line in the Simpson Desert at 5-15kph over metre high spinifex moguls Crying or Very sad

This is how things look for a trip like that

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 0001HR2006Warra

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 DSCF5196
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 8:15 pm

nice set up Vixen as said ok for long staying trips this is bit of overlanding in Wales

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 Normal_Defender%20week%20end%20with%20trailers%20005
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptySat Jan 01, 2011 10:01 pm

yes,,,,always a good debate,personaly i tried trailers,bigger trucks,roof racks,just about everything,,,,,and i have come to the conclusion,,i dont need more kit,,i travel very light, take only what i need and improvise,,,thats what travling is all about ,,so now im building my second 101 and making a demountable for it so i can put in what i need,toilet shower,,a must,,and a bed,,small cooker and some storage,,,thats about it,,,after years of travling ithink i know what i need,,,,,but it could all change,,,,,, lol!
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 2:38 am

Its good hearing what you all have to say, the pros and cons.

Some nice examples of trailers in the pics, Like i mentioned i might not need a trailer, there would only be 2 people in the terracan when overland (starting off in europe i have'nt yet been on a trip), so there will be lots of room for storage, but after having a caravan with fridge, shower, stove, etc i was interested in puting these provisions in a raised trailer. As a short wheel based caravan is very low to the ground and quite flimsy.

I can see the logic in using a off road trailer for long distance trips to carry more items and supply's etc.

Keep up the pics tho, great source of info that i have not seen on any forums.

Jas
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptySun Jan 02, 2011 7:57 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

Keep up the pics tho, great source of info that i have not seen on any forums.
Merci, we aim to please. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 5:14 am

An interesting thread.

I'm still throwing ideas round with regards to a sankey based Teardrop type trailer but with capacity to put things such pushbikes inside and/or canoes on the roof. The 90's great (and looks like it's staying) but is jsut a bit tight on space when we have the dogs with us too. Also the idea of the teardrop is for those times when the snow is too heavy or the wind too strong to be in the Oztent.

I'd probably not be too keen on using it properly off road, especially solo, but want something that is capapbel of following the 90 places an ordinary trailer wouldn't.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 9:37 pm

Chris S wrote:
An interesting thread.

I'm still throwing ideas round with regards to a sankey based Teardrop type trailer but with capacity to put things such pushbikes inside and/or canoes on the roof. The 90's great (and looks like it's staying) but is jsut a bit tight on space when we have the dogs with us too. Also the idea of the teardrop is for those times when the snow is too heavy or the wind too strong to be in the Oztent.

I'd probably not be too keen on using it properly off road, especially solo, but want something that is capapbel of following the 90 places an ordinary trailer wouldn't.

What wind speed do you consider to be too strong for an Oztent?

Have had a Foxwing and Oztent out in 55 mph wind.

Yes they were moving in the wind but lesser tents were being flattened. Must admit exercised care putting the Foxwing away in the high wind as it could have easily become a 10m2 kite

I always find threads about kit ideas being good or bad slightly awkward.

Peoples needs/requirements are all very different. What is right for one person is wrong for someone else.

There is a lot of kit on our 110 I would NOT recommend to the average UK traveller. Nothing wrong with the kit but would people actually NEED that kit? They may want the kit, they may well be able to afford the kit but needs and wants are very different creatures.

Brendan
Back to top Go down
http://www.4x4overlander.com
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 9:57 pm

4x4overlander wrote:
Chris S wrote:
An interesting thread.

What wind speed do you consider to be too strong for an Oztent?

Have had a Foxwing and Oztent out in 55 mph wind.

Yes they were moving in the wind but lesser tents were being flattened. Must admit exercised care putting the Foxwing away in the high wind as it could have easily become a 10m2 kite

I always find threads about kit ideas being good or bad slightly awkward.

Peoples needs/requirements are all very different. What is right for one person is wrong for someone else.

There is a lot of kit on our 110 I would NOT recommend to the average UK traveller. Nothing wrong with the kit but would people actually NEED that kit? They may want the kit, they may well be able to afford the kit but needs and wants are very different creatures.

Brendan

I should have worded it a bit differently I reckon (You'll all get used to me - I'm not the best communicator!)

We have the RV2 - and we really really like it and get on very well witgh it, BUT, this one is actually our second one as the first one had to go back under warranty because of the top hinges flexing so badly in anything more than a gentle breeze. The new one still does it but it doesn't seem to do it quite so badly and we just live with it.

For those that don't know, only the RV2 has the top Hinges in the uprights, whereas the others hinge in the top rail, making the side upright rails solid all the way up. We have the flysheet and side panels and everything but care has to be taken when using the fly as it pulls on the hinges too.

I have thought about making up some flat ally hinges that are supporting both sides of the hinge pin but fear that it cousl rip the material if not careful.

We have used it in some very heavy winds (I don't know how strong) but it does take a beating, also, if it was set up for a good night of heavy snow fall on the roof I fear it would cause damage to it as the roof is only supported by rails going cross over, not front to back too so it's always pulling on the rails, or in our case the hinges being the weaker point.

Also, the front corner guyropes don't do anything to pull the tent in the right direction to stop the hinges flexing either - the actual traingles of material really want re sewing in a better position IMO.

I know this all sounds a bit negative but it's not meant to be, it's a case of knowing the limitations of a design - in hindsight, maybe we'd have been better off with an RV3 and not having that problem but we can't. Would we swap the OZtent for anything else? Probably not - it works for us most of the time.

The trailer Idea is more something for use over winter and for more "base camp" type use.

I know what you mean about needs and wants - theres a lot of vehicles out there with everything bolted to it possible but a lot of it may never get used.

Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 10:49 pm

Chris you have explained things very well.

OK we have been selling Oztents for just over a year now and I had not picked up upon the hinge point. Lesson learnt.

Personally I would not recommend an Oztent in the case of high snow fall. The flat roof would be a major concern!

Another two negative points about the Oztent is the pack size and the cost of them.

If you go to Driffield come and say hi and give us your comments both good and bad about the Oztents.

We have only used the RV4 and the Foxwing. The Foxwing is a great bit of kit however needs deploying and putting away with some care.

OK this thread has drifted away from trailers but that is the nature of forums.

Brendan
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:00 pm

WE have RV4 so has to get two camp beds front to back, eiser for us due to health problems not good sleeping on floor like we used to, need for a trialor is to store tent on top, last year we had a D3 tent fitted inside no problem, but now have a D1 tent will not fit inside, very diffacult to lift onto roof, again health reasons. Stood up to high winds, one small problem on Landy rally in Val d’Isére in the mornig -10 work up put on gas fire to warm up and got wet tent had ice on inside on roof stupid forgot about thet. cheers
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:30 pm

Have you got a photo of the RV4 inside the D3? Would be interested to see one.

By how much won't the RV4 not go into the D1? If that makes sense!

If have some spare time one day I might try throwing some into our D2

They won't fit into our 110's due to cargo barrier stupid

Brendan
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jan 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Our RV2 used to fit in the D1 quite snugly but woudln't go in the 90 so lives on top in an Ozbasket (highly recommend the ozbasket for anyone who just uses roofbars). But yes the pack size and weigth are a bit of a pig (we did nearly go for the RV1 but being able to stand up inside the RV2 and bigger swung it.

Cost wise, we had spent a good 18months or so lookign at all the different options (roof tent vs Oztent vs conventional tent etc) and bit the bullet. Got the sides, front, fly and groundsheet saver all at the same time too but in reality have only used the front and sides on one trip. The fly is great for helping reduce condensation and the groundsheet saver we use every single time.

Hinges wise, it's only the RV2 that's the "bad" design - it does seem though that there's not that many people have the RV2's though.

Is it worth gettign a Mod/admin to split this thread to start an Oztent/tents in general one?

Will hopefully be making it to the indoor overland show, Driff (just up road from me) and the RGS one (even closer to me) so should get chance to drop in at one of them if not all Very Happy

Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 4:20 am

Roamingman , how about a different option?

It seems that you like your RV4 but have difficulties with transporting it and hence considering a trailer. So how about this as a different solution?

The RV4 has following dimensions

Depth 2.4m
Width 2.4m
Height 1.9m
Weight 19kg
Packed size 2 x 0.25 x 0.15m
Cost £640

Oztent has now produced the JetTent. Looking at the F25

Depth 2.5m
Width 2.5m
Height 2.2m
Weight 23kg
Packed Size 1.1 x 0.3 x 0.3 m
Cost £755

So the F25 is slightly bigger all around packs into a smaller length bag but weighs 4kg more.

It should fit across the width of the D1 boot.

You could sell the RV4 on ebay and get a reasonable price for it. Have seen second hand ones go for almost cost of a new one on ebay.

The Jet tents will not arrive in England until aboutFeb/ March time. No I have not seen one in the flesh so to speak yet. Boab might have them in time for the NEC show in February, but it will be cutting it fine. We hope to have some on display at Driffield

Just a different option which might be worth considering.

HTH

Brendan

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 4:33 am

Hi Brendan
thanks for that info, will have to talk to finnace consultant/account SWMBO, but will give it some thought,
yes had a few tents well still got 2, but oztent suits us well. cheers

This is with sides and front panel
Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 2010_s10

So awning/porch inside storage room and sleeping area

Last edited by roamingman on Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 4:35 am

I saw the Jet tent on another forum and am keen to see one in the flesh - I liked what I saw for sure.
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 8:38 am

The only thing I have against the Oztent (which I have to say seems to be very popular in England, as it is here in Aus) is that it is very long when packed up and will not easily fit INSIDE a vehicle.

Another tent worth looking at for easy setup is the Blackwolf Turbo tent.

And I have to totally agree with Brendan as peoples needs & wants vary so differently...what suits one will not suit another for a number of reasons.
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 04, 2011 8:45 am

There are two cons with the Oztent in the UK. Packed size and cost!

Brendan
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 2:54 am

4x4overlander Brendan
sorry best piture of RV4 in D3

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 Landy_20

if you zoom in look in centre bottom right of fridge adn left of kettle just see back of tent, front rests on centre cubby box by about 5-6" does not impead driving cheers

look to see if I have a better one Smile

yoda
Back to top Go down
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 3:06 am

speaking of tents a friend of mine got fed up with his roof tent and found a new style of tent i havn't seen it yet but its from america, from the way he describes it it has a raised bed area, has anyone heard of this or seen one before?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freespirit4x4.co.uk
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 3:34 am

As i sell these tents i thought i may well use one along with every other option that i have
Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 Normal_laks%20week%20end%20007
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 3:42 am

looks good how long to put up, and can it be done by a partially disabled person. Smile
Back to top Go down
4x4overlander
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 4:16 am

Well if we are putting photos up of tents we sell whistles innocently

Foxwing deployed on Denmark

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 IMG_1900

RV4 attached to Foxwing in Sweden

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 IMG_1967

Brendan
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 5:47 am

roamingman wrote:
looks good how long to put up, and can it be done by a partially disabled person. Smile

Not very long as only one pole peg out the ground area and just go in and push the pole up and tension the fixings
Brendan i like all the Ose tent stuff and fox wing is brilliant as i said i have 2 roof tents trailers ground tents of all descriptions and every one has a part to platy it is all down to cost and personal choice even two of them
Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 Norway%20with%20Ian%20And%20Mat%20And%20Oliver%20520
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 6:01 am

and some time in one of these out in the middle of nowhereOff-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 Normal_Round%20house%20003
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?   Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Off-road expedition trailers - good idea or bad?
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next