4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Its Snowed and Were All Screwed

Go down 
+2
Tom Mc
Assassin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Its Snowed and Were All Screwed Empty
PostSubject: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:00 am

Well its finally snowed and the usual mayhem ensues, at the mere mention of the word snow many schools automatically close down as if they are programmed to do so, am I just old or are the kids and parents of today just so soft and indoctrinated that they accept this without question and suffer from having to make emergency arrangements for their children, or leave work early and lose money to go and collect them.

Did this happen in my day ? no; it snowed and the school stayed open, most children got there and we walked with our parents through the snow and snowdrifts up to 5 feet tall which was massive for us at 5 years of age.

Did our heating fail? no we had a central coke boiler which was stoked up and opened up at 6am every morning by our dedicated caretaker and teachers who arrived earlier and who stepped up during cold spells and really cranked it up, and all we had were cast iron pipes of around 8" diameter which ran right around the school and used the thermo syphon effect, so nothiong to go wrong and break down, so the school stayed open.

Each classroom had a large coal fire and a massive chimney breast fitted with lots of large hooks, when we arrived we took off our cold and wet coats and out teachers had a large pole with a hook on the end and they would put our coats on the end of the pole and reach up to the hooks and hang them up, 15 minutes of mist and water evaporated into the classroom and they were dry and toasting hot. Boys had to wear shorts and girls had to wear skirts in school, but we would both go to school in long trousers and tahe them off once at school and these were placed on the large fireguard around the fire and were warm and dry in about 10 minutes, and lovely and warm again for playtime and dinnertime.

There were no environmental emissions to concern ourselves with apart from when someone near you farted and it was rotten and stank you out, if you arrived at school early you were allowed to help the caretaker sprinkle the hot ashes from the fires and boiler to form paths in the snow and ice; this melted it and once it froze up again you had a nice sheet of ice impregnated with cinder and ash which gave exceptional traction and nobody slipped over on this. If you sat next to the hot pipes you put your feet on them to warm them up and dry your socks and shoes; imagine the Health and Safety brigade of today, they would have multiple orgasms at the prospect of so many infringements, children spreading hot ashes, sitting with their feet on hot pipes, or the ultimate treat; being allowed to poke the coal fires at break and dinnertimes and then being allowed to throw several dustpans of coal onto them.

But our schools stayed open.

We would have massive snowball fights and if you got hit by one you didn't cry and moan, you learned to be quicker and avoid being hit in the first place; most of us would make a slide as long as we possibly could and it would remain there for weeks during the winter and if you fell over you got up again and carried on sliding, we made large igloos out of the snow and we thought they were great places to play, no mention of H&S or risks of them collapsing on us. If they collapsed we got wet, we didn't moan we just honed our igloo building skills so we made them well enough not to collapse, we never moaned about the cold as we all had to play outside whatever the weather as we were not allowed to play inside, so it toughened us up and we rarely had colds of flu as playing outside in the cold killed off all the germs.

There were no excuses from teachers about not being able to get to school as the few who had cars left them and set off earlier and walked, the buses never stopped they merely found another route and bypassed an obstruction and got everyone there, mostly on time, and if they got stuck passengers got off and gave them a push to get them free.

Now we have a wealth of excuses from teachers looking for the easy way out, roads are closed, buses aren't running (when mostly they are) its dangerous to travel in snow, its dangerous for the kids, and the heatings failed are just some of the most popular, yet our simple coke boiler and coal fires in classrooms never broke down. If our coke boiler did break down we still had the coal fires.

Now we have the opposite, a flake of snow and schools look to shut and create numerous problems for parents, excuses for closing schools are so creative and often lame they could be used for the basis of a book, fiction of course.

And what have we had, just enough snow to cover the road and the schools close, the paint on my walls is thicker than the snowfall we have had.

But the schools close.

Oh, how times have changed.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 2:32 am

Milk Monitors handing out those 1/4 pints. When older we also had a choice of orange.

The Tuck Shop, my all-time favourite being Potato Puffs.

Playing a game called Dusty in the playground. Very simple, armed with a tennis ball one person in the middle would chuck it full pelt at anyone in the game. If it hit you, you're out. Carried on until the players were whittled down to the last man (boy) standing - the winner! Corrr, when hit it could really sting. Nowadays you'd need a safety helmet, goggles, body armour, a Challenger Tank ...

Not so good - the slipper and the cane, although the wait outside the headmaster's office could be just as bad. Hearing those footsteps approaching, leather shoes on polished floorboards, arrrrgggghhhh!!!!! affraid

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 3:48 am

Yes we walked to school (2 miles) to have more money for the tuck shop, Tom I am with you The Tuck Shop, my all-time favorite being Potato Puffs. See them in the supermarkets thumbsup tempting.

Can not remember are school ever closing,
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 4:28 am

They still make Potato Puffs? Never see them these days, maybe they're made in Scotland so are local to you?

The only one to rival them was when Golden Wonder crisps were intoduced (up until then kit was only ever Smiths Crisps)they brought out the first ever flavours like cheese & onion, my favourite being smokey bacon. Yum!
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 10:07 am

"Did our heating fail? no we had a central coke boiler which was stoked up and opened up at 6am every morning by our dedicated caretaker and teachers who arrived earlier and who stepped up during cold spells and really cranked it up, and all we had were cast iron pipes of around 8" diameter which ran right around the school and used the thermo syphon effect, so nothiong to go wrong and break down, so the school stayed open."

Remember that!! and getting to school soaked to the bone and freezing cold, BUT WE STILL WENT THERE AND THE SCHOOL ALWAYS OPENED

Bunch of flippin softies today, the lot of them. And while we are on the subject, WHY DO ALL KIDS HAVE TO BE DRIVEN TO SCHOOL, even when they often live less than 1/2 mile away??????????? mad mad
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:43 pm

Was talking with my mate yesterday on the ol' dog & bone and he was saying that where he lives in South London, he was passing the local council tip where he's used to seeing loads of bin-men and road-sweepers in their yellow hi-vis waitcoats milling around the place. Then, as the bus he was on passed by he saw a half dozen or more of the staff playing on the swings and roundabouts at the back.

Strange he thought, then he realised it was actually kids from the school next door on their lunch break - they ALL were wearing hi-vis jackets to play! What's that all about? stupid
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 10:58 pm

I grew up in Canada and could tell lots of stories about schools and winter. But more recently I recall that as my son grew up in Manitoba and Alberta schools stayed open regardless of weather. He also had to have an outdoor recess and lunch break unless the weather went below -35c. The only thing that would shut down would be school buses if the roads were unsafe...and that would require a full blown blizzard.

The coldest I was ever outside was -65c at the top of the mountain in Lake Louise Ski Resort in the Rockies. They asked for volunteers to go up and chip the ice away from the ski lift cable ring at the top of the mountain on cold days. You had to go up in a heated snow cat, no exposed skin, run out with an ice hammer for about 2 minutes and chip ice away, then go warm up again.

Funnily enough, I hate the cold now and am thinking longingly of Australia with their +50c heat wave....
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:58 am

Its called Common Purpose Tom, groups of idiots creating massive quantities of rules which serve no actual purpose, but cost an absolute fortune. Look at the NHS as an example of Common Purpose which they hold up as an example of what they have achieved, three administration staff to every one member of medical staff.

Anyway, its not as good as my Hi-Viz coat, as you are undoubtedly aware we have to wear them on site these days, but mine is illuminated with several tiny LED's and they work off kinetic energy, the coat contains tiny rechargeable cells and kinetic energy generators which charge them as the coat moves, if the light drops it illuminates and I am like a bloody christmas tree, and I can programme it to set either a constant illumination or several flash patterns.
Our supplier gave me one and I ordered several predominantly for our site teams in the geo-technical division as they can be at the side of a railway or on the side of a clif after dark anywhere in the world, it is beneficial for them as many countries we work in don't even have street lights.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 12:06 pm

Sounds like a cracking idea, a real boon in those situations. It's the petty rules & regs which make us question ... why?

I wonder how long it'll be before all vehicles have to have hi-vis bumpers, 'cause before too long some Eurocrat is bound to say that current reflectors aren't up to the job? Another pen-pusher justifying their job. Like you say - Common Purpose.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:04 pm

If I go the right settings I can't deny being the local flasher can I.

They are a godsend on very dark sites as many are in third world countries as you can do a quick man count in total darkness.

Don't know what you know about Common Purpose? its basically the EU training their leaders when they take over the UK, basically they form groups in public bodies and promote other Common Purpose trained individuals to form powerful groups who can have the required numbers to form policies and vote in decisions which serve no purpose, but cost that service considerable sums. They work against the organisation they work for and its sole purpose is to increase costs of that service so Government have to inject more cash to keep it viable, basically they are traitors to their employer/industry, and the rest of the UK taxpayers and their sole purpose it to ensure they take control as yes men for the EU so they can take senior positions when the EU controls the UK.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 10:55 pm

The only time I ever voted was back in the 70's NOT TO GO INTO EUROPE, and lost, if and that is a BIG IF we get a referendum looks like I will have to vote NO AND NO again. twice in one lifetime is enough. affraid
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 12:46 am

I think most people see the EU for what it really is, how can something which began as a common trading partnership now dictate so much of our lives, our liberty, our legislation and so on.
When we look at who is running the EU we see some very dubious characters and many dodgy dealings, particularly the financial dealings and accounts which by law have to be audited and signed off annually, but have not been signed off as nobody would put their name to such financial irregularities, this in itself proves how financially corrupt it really is, but that was its long term objective, gain total power over an entire continent and Common Purpose is just one of its weapons.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyFri Jan 18, 2013 5:55 am

Its a careful play on words, what is a referendum? nothing more than a concensus of opinion and one which can be ignored, personally I am all for a straight in or out vote and it will be out for me.

Recently I have been bombarded from all sorts of organisations trying to convince me to vote to stay in and they cite my businesses as the reason, what they forget is that its the EU which has raised costs to those businesses to the point where petty bureaucracy is the largest expense, previously it was wages/salaries which were the largest expense, and these unnecessary expenses could fund more employees and inward investment and put British people back into jobs. What they fail to realise is, is that my view is why trade with the EU when we can trade with the world, we had an empire once and an even bigger trading empire, but not now as the EU has taken a lot of that away.

Of all my companies most of their trade is done with organisations outside the EU, and even many of them within the EU use satellite companies outside the EU to trade with us to avoid the bureaucracy and expense. Says it all really.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 4:48 am

Haha around Wiltshire the council has appologised for the lack of snow plows or grit that was used.
Notably all roads were left with snow. For me I prefer this.
Average was 3" of snow. I tested out my new pickup the VW Amorok auto, even on summer tyres this was fine.
Biggest surprise was my Jag S Type. I hadput winter tyres on the RWD 250 bhp vehicle 4 weeks ago. It was better than the 4wds.
Traction was great, conering, stopping was excellen. The only problem I found was that the tyres were so good, I forget how been the snow was and bellied out 2x. No problem, reverse worked great.

The level of stupidity of the other motorist have employed this year is at an all time high.
Numerous motorists not cleaning the snow off their vehicles, number plates, lights nor demisting any of the Windows fully.
In the 200 miles I've driven in the last 24 hours around Wiltshire in the Winter Readied Jaguar, I tallied 87 stuck or abandoned vehicles.
27 vehicles in a ditch or accident. out of the 27, 18 were 4x4's. 9 of the 18 were land rovers.

I strongly believe that the government should copy the Germans and employ tv advertising on how to prepare your vehicle for snow and Winter tyres should be mandatory and enforced with fines if not met.

When your in a 4x4 and own one like I have and do, your un aware how you or other 4x4 users can behave.
When your in a car like I was and you observe how 4x4 owners behave you realize that they need to be made aware how much more dangerous their vehicles are. I love 4x4s. I loath the drivers. Just because 4 wheels are powered does not mean you do not keep a distance between vehicles. It does not mean that it will stop or corner as efficiently ad a car. From what I've observed in a car as a 4x4 fan is shock.

4x4 owners need to be told how to drive the snow and ice roads. As the most popular 4x4 in the UK is land rover I wad not surprised to see them in more accidents. It's simple numbers. But the vehicles are not bad. It's the drivers.

This needs to be assessed and a solution needs to be found.

More snow plows needed.
Winter tyre mandatory.
Vehicle preperation, including removal of snow and good visibility to be inforced.
How to drive snow roads.
4x4 owners need to realize how their sensless actions can endanger them selves and others.

Jas
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptySun Jan 20, 2013 1:02 pm

Disagree Jason, why should people be forced to buy winter tyres, take this year, its been mild and winter tyres are designed for use when it is constantly below 7 degrees and up until this last week its not been below 7 degrees in most of the UK; this is an additional expense to many cash strapped families which means having all their tyres changed and buying a set of winter tyres, and storing them or having to pay to have them stored as its doubtful they will be used for more than a month this year.
Winter tyres guarantee nothing, they work well on your vehicle, but the general consensus is that they vary from vehicle to vehicle according to considerable testing, and in around a third of cases the standard road tyres are just as good, and we have the plain fact that no matter how well you prepare your vehicle it only takes one prick who can't drive to hit you or even cause a multiple pile up, so winter tyres are ineffective in this instance.

Education, totally agree; simple things like carrying a flask and a few tea bags or coffee can be beneficial as can preparing by taking a little extra time for your journey, or carrying a decent set of clothes and good boots, and a folding shovel and some of the small bags of salt are all cheap and simple things.

Enforcement; agree with this as I and doubtless many more are fed up of seeing Postman Pat with his little letterbox scraped on his windscreen, or the sailors with their portholes, and the rest of the car frozen need hammering as do those who don't clean snow off their lights. I would go one further here, those driving on sidelights and those who leave their rear foglights on when the fog has cleared also need hammering.

I note you apply your scenario only to 4X4 drivers, have to disagree as I have found most 4X4 drivers are much better at driving in the snow and ice, its mainly the familt and small family saloons which cause the most problems as they cannot drive in decent conditions, and are useless in snow and this is confirmed by the accident figures from a variety of sources.

One thing you seem to have omitted is the pathetic and often stupid road layouts which have happened during recent years, the mini roundabouts, the freffic calming measures and parking bays which are solely designed to narrow a road or street, and worst of all the speed humps placed on hills, some very steep, so once again considerable improvements could be made by going back to the correct road layouts which are simple and easily understood.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 6:22 am

Tom:

I can tell you why, very simply MONEY, create more rules and legislation and you create more chances for people to break them, the more that people break them the more tickets you can issue, or the more people you can take to court, the more tickets you issue and the more people you take to court means more fines, more fines = more revenue, the chancellor laughs all the way to the bank and thinks thick muppets.

Why do you think I never pay parking tickets, speeding fines, other civil notices, they can fook off, rather give it to my employees or a good cause, at least in know 100% of it will get there.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 1:12 pm

One thing's for sure, when a 4x4 starts sliding it sure takes some stopping! I find that the additional weight (over hatchbacks for instance) means that you have to drive slower and leave more of a gap than ever between yourself and the vehicle in front.

It's simple common sense after all. Yes, on many occasions you're less likely to slide than a 2WD vehicle, but when it does break away there's a lot more weight slinging you sideways or forwards.

Love snow, detest ice.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed EmptyWed Jan 23, 2013 11:09 pm

Its that old adage:

You don't drive a truck like a Formula 1 car, and you don't put 25 tonnes on the back of an F1 car.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Its Snowed and Were All Screwed   Its Snowed and Were All Screwed Empty

Back to top Go down

Its Snowed and Were All Screwed
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Random Stuff-
Jump to: