4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

What replacement

Go down 
+6
jellybenitez
Tom Mc
Assassin
maadmaan10
roamingman
wideformat4x4
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: What replacement   What replacement EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:09 pm

Right all, advice please, after parking the ML on its side in a ditch over christmas I'm looking for a replacement.

Iv'e looked at Discoverys and Range rovers but the ones in my budget have mostly been owned by captain Kirk and have been to the moon and back milage wise.

Iv'e also been looking at Jeep's, Shoguns (both sport and the normal one), BMW X5 and the Volvo XC90 all come fully loaded and for the same money as a 55 plate Landy have less miles.

Others I've toyed with are the normal range of pickups, Ford Thunder, Nissan Navarra, Isuzu Rodeo et all.

Big question is the vehicle will be used as day to day transport but and this is the biggie I want something that's capable for overland travel if needed (if the Frontera decides to blow another gasket) lol.

Only other consideration is running costs, good on fuel and reasonable priced parts.

What does the team think ?
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptySun Jan 13, 2013 10:52 pm

I have no idea where, but my D3 is a motability, and I have seen other 4x4's, you have them for 3 years and allowed to do 20,000 miles a year, some may do more or less, I was able to extend it to 5 years, and have done 87,000 miles,
So maybe for lower mileage try and find a motability motor. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:42 am

One of these.....
What replacement Armour10
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:48 am

or one of these....
What replacement Tamiya13
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:56 am

Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:11 am

I did think about the Porker but at about 20mpg at best unless I win the lottery it would be sat on the drive with an empty tank most of the time
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:22 am

For me it would be the Shogun 3.2 DiD as it meets most of the requirements.

Land Rover/Range Rover - Reliability issues, good spares worldwide, expensive on fuel.

Jeep - Reliability issues, poor spares availibility, and expensive on fuel.

BMW - No good off road as no low range, cheap on fuel relative to other similar vehicles, some cooling system problems if not generally dealer maintained or maintained by a knowledgeable owner, cheap to maintain if under the service plan.

Volvo XC90 - Reasonable off road, very expensive on spares and servicing, parts not readily available, heavy front brake pad and disc wear which usually warps the discs, expensive on fuel relatively.

Pick Up's - Tens to leave them alone as they are poor riding on road, back end twitchy off road and in snow or other slippery conditions, can be reasonably cheap or expensive on parts depending on model, and many second hand ones are ex fleet and had a hard life.

Shogun - LWB has 7 seats if needed, large flat load floor if not needed, rear seats can be removed for large underfloor storage for expedition work, reasonable on fuel and spares ( Milners front and rear brake pads £14 set, discs £30 each, filter kit oil, air, and fuel £12 for all three) easy DIY repair.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 4:46 am

As usual, budget comes into the equation. How about this for a reasonably-priced option:-

114,000 miles
Waxoyled
Snorkel
Air con
Tow pack
Etc.

Even got a matt black bonnet for sunny climes!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MITSUBISHI-SHOGUN-3-2-DIESEL-ELEGANCE-7-SEATER-2003-THE-WHITE-STUFFS-ON-WAY-/221169384782?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item337eb8fd4e

Once you get flog those ghastly boy-racer wheels and change them for some appropriate wheels/tyres, you’ve got yourself a decent motor!
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 5:15 am

Hi Tom
Yeah I had looked at this one bit far to travel to look though.

Been to look at 2 discos and a SWB shogun this afternoon
The discos were a 2001 and 2002 models td5 with full leather etc but nearly twice the price as the shogun.
I'm in no hurry as I'm waiting for the insurance money from the ML and the Frontera is giving sterling service at the moment.
But I am slowly being drawn towards the Shogun, they come highly recommended by the garage that maintain our company vehicles.

My only reservation is still lack of ground Clearance and the big plastic bumpers.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 12:35 pm

The LWB has over 10" of ground clearance, more than most.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 3:01 pm

Assassin wrote:
The LWB has over 10" of ground clearance, more than most.
More like 8" - www.celtic-mitsubishi.co.uk/shogun/specifications.aspx?Variant=JS2

With its live axles, the Discovery also has far better articulation. The td5 motor hasn't got the best of reputations though, whereas the Mitso engine is a cracker.

Decisions decisions!!! scratching chin

Back to top Go down
jellybenitez
Cleaner
Cleaner
jellybenitez

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyMon Jan 14, 2013 8:37 pm

For me it would be land rover all the way but i am biased slightly Smile
Seriously though My bro has had 3 ford rangers all different ages and never had a problem. He never looks after them and they get fixed when they break. In the 7 or so years i think hes had them i can only recall a prop uj breaking. The interior is a bit nasty and the rear seats have poor leg room but its a crew cab after all.
It would be close between d2 and a shogun. I think the shoguns come with axle diff locks but not sure. Older ones have a stereotype attached round here as in you probably dont stay in one place long and your house is a very shiny caravan, tarmac your drive sir Smile
D2 td5 does have a few known issues but they are all relatively easy to repair, nanocom is invaluable tool for diagnosis. Plenty of spares and trick parts if you want to start modifying. Just steer well clear of the navarra. Everyone i know thats had one has had problems. one had a replacement engine after 2 years, luckily for my mate nissan paid for it. They are rubbish offroad. The local coastguard used to have a hilux for years, then they got a navarra. Damn thing was always getting stuck on the beach. They wont even take it onto the sand now! So in summary
d2 or shogun get my vote. Good luck, look forward to seeing your shiny new motor soon Smile
Back to top Go down
twende
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
twende

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 12:17 am

Yep, must agree the Defender would be my first choice, if only for the amount of reasonably priced "bolt on bits". However, as you've tried and tested the Merc, why not try the G Wagen, I've had two 230 GD's and also a G500 AMG version adore The latter being purchased for cutting up to make an off roader but with the history that came with it I renovated instead. Anyway, back to the subject, the G's come with diff lock front and rear as standard and the two 230 GD's I had never cost me anything to repair and between them I must have covered 150k miles. You can pick them up fairly cheap if you look around. They must be doing something right, the Australian military have just pput in an order for 200 of them (what went wrong with Toyota!)
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 12:33 am

Funny enough, when I was posting about the ground clearance thing last night (in life 2" can make a lot of difference!!!) I realised that nobody had even mentioned Toyota let alone suggested purchasing one ... how come? Could it be that their recall issues are finally coming back to bite them on the bum?
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 5:24 am

That's wrong Tom, you're quoting figures for the new one which has less ground clearance due to rubbish like running boards fittes as standard, the models originally being looked at are the 2000-2007 range and these have 10.2" LWB and 8.9" SWB.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyTue Jan 15, 2013 7:13 pm

Agree with Twende that I would go Landrover, and my preference would be an older Defender, but that is a personal preference. But as for the G-wagon I agree that this would be an excellent choice. Just finished Tom Sheppard's Quiet for Tuesday and his travels through Algeria in his G-wagon which seemed to have been a great choice for him. He certainly appreciated the front and rear difflocks.

Along with the Aussie's, the Canadian military passed on hummers, Landrovers and Jeeps to buy the G-wagon for the troops in Afghanistan and the guys were pretty happy with it.

I can't say I have any experience with Mitsubishi's or Nissan's...they are waaayyy outside my comfort zone. I have worked with 70-series Toyotas for many years in Africa and appreciate them, but wouldn't ever buy one.

My thinking is that if you plan on 'safe' overlanding to well-developed areas, then any decent modern 4x4 will work. If you intend on going to less well developed places, then you either have to be comfortable being able to fix most anything on your vehicle yourself, or be able to trust local 'bush mechanics' to fix it. For me, this rules out anything with an ECU. I was brought up with carbuerators, na diesels and high tech was a basic turbo. I still remain a mechanical luddite. If you are comfortable with an ECU, have a system diagnostic tool and confident in doing your own repairs...then the more technologically advanced, modern 4x4 is probably the better choice.
Back to top Go down
colley2.8
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
colley2.8

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 1:18 am

What is your plan Gary???
Use the frontera for are trip to morocco?? or Use the new truck??
For me it would or depend on what your going to use it for. I would keep the frontera for overlanding/laning and buy something nice and posh for your daily drive.
I have learnt the hard way about using my truck as a daily drive/ laner, as when it breaks and it will whatever you buy you will have no transport. Its nice to go out knowing if it breaks you can just get it recovered and still have a car for work the next morning.
Something to consider Wink
if you are going to buy a truck for laning and overlanding i would buy a landcruiser or g wagon adore
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 2:40 am

Ground clearance - opps! I stand corrected. Embarassed

Good advice colley, if you abuse your 4x4 as 99.9% of off-roaders do, then you have to have some form of back up for when the inevitable happens and it ends up in dry dock. I always have the Mrs' car to fall back on (both motors insurance as named drivers) otherwise I'd be stuffed.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyWed Jan 16, 2013 9:09 pm

The plan is really for a daily driver, I would keep the Frontera for abusing off road but the ability to use the new truck does appeal for longer treks.

The Disco 2 or 3 and the Shogun seem to be coming top of my list at the moment and with the ML now being an official total loss the purchase could happen soon.

I take on board the other comment about the defenders and G wagons and in the future when the Frontera comes up for replacement then I will consider each of them but as daily drivers as far as I'm concerned they are both non starters.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 am

Well off work today so i have been looking on the autotrader website and found a 2003 face lifts Disco 2 and a LWB showgun within 5 miles of each other both have 7 seats ( not necessary for me) leather interiors auto box the showgun has sat nav and 25k less miles both the same ish fuel economy the showgun is a year newer 2004
Think I need to test drive them both back to back
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 12:56 am

Still holding on to the Scooby then?
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:27 am

Yeah the scooby is used by err indoors to get to work and back day to day and I use it to blatt around at weekends
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 5:35 am

Its a common mistake Tom, thats why I stay with my 02-07 model because they don't all come with the side steps which are plastic mouldings and the additional clearance is significant as they have a big arse end on the LWB models and this additional clearance makes a big difference off road, particularly with such a long wheelbase.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 6:10 am

I have been reading up on the Shogun and found a few that have had the clutch go around 90 to 100k and have paid out around £1800 for the fix.

Anyone on here heard similar
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement EmptyThu Jan 17, 2013 1:08 pm

Yes, thats on later models with dual mass flywheels and main dealers doing the work on manual models, most are automatic though and with super select you get a true auto which has a manual option, you can lock it in first or second gear in manual mode for ascents and descents in either H or L range.

Most go due to poor driving, many manual models driven correctly exceed 200,000 miles on a clutch, so its just a few, of the few which have problems they are heard about because its a rarity, and the fact most are auto's.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

What replacement Empty
PostSubject: Re: What replacement   What replacement Empty

Back to top Go down

What replacement
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next