4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

uk motorways.....

Go down 
+5
maadmaan10
roamingman
Assassin
Tom Mc
tuggy
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
jellybenitez
Cleaner
Cleaner
jellybenitez

uk motorways..... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:39 am

If i speed i accept that i may get caught and get fined, points or if really daft banned. I don't care for speed cameras because of the way they are sold as safety cameras when in fact all they are for is revenue generation. A camera on a 50 yd stretch of road to someone who does not know its there does sweet fa for them driving safely especially as it takes two weeks for them to be told they were driving "dangerously". I drive a land rover daily, if i was worried about fuel consumption, tax or the environmental concerns i would be driving a 1 litre hatchback Wink
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 6:57 am

"I like the variable speed limits, the m42 around the south of brum used to be unuseable but have gone thru quite often last year and it was flowing at lower speeds so they do work."

Absolutely right. It works on the M25 and when they experimented with it a couple of years back on M27 it worked there too.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:15 pm

The whole issue is a farce, many have made valid points but the main one has been overlooked, many of our roads can trace their history back centuries, they were designed for horses and carts; then over the centuries they were paved over, the had pavements added, then all the other street furniture. From this we can logically conclude that our roads are not fit for purpose as they have not been upgraded to meet the demands of the motorist or vehicles using them, now we have the primary factor in accidents, roads designed for horses and carts.

Compare these roads to many on the continent, most other countries invested in their roads, they don't stick in traffic calming measures on already decrepid roads like we do, they upgraded their roads to align more with their traffic flows and vehicles, unlike the UK. They built more motorways with more than adequate capacity and not just the 3 lane varieties we have here, take the US, they have eight lanes all travelling at 55MPH so how are journey times there much less for a given distance? basically because with eight lanes and a speed limit of 55 MPH they do this speed and keep doing it, they don't get regular hold ups as we do, they don't get congestion as we do, they might have a lower speed limit but they can maintain it all day and get places.

Then we have the muppets, the middle lane hogs, those who think indicators are disco lights and only to be used when the radio is on; they are there for other drivers and pedestrians alike, then we have the tailgaters, I love them as on a quiet road I tap the brakes just enough to illuminate the brake lights, but not enough to slow the vehicle, this usually has them reacting and jamming on their brakes, then they drop back.

What we need are better roads, ones with additional bus and seperate cycle lanes; which idiot put 15 tonne buses and cyclists in the same lane, and not bus lanes added to an existing route which reduces capacity of an already congested road; we need cyclists and pedestrians totally segregated where possible, footbridges for pedestrians to cross roads where possible to maintain segregation for the majority of people, and ensure traffic keeps flowing. We need parents to control children, particularly very young children and not let them run off as many do, prevent the accident happening with common sense and child reins, and parents who work towards prevention and not claiming compo after their little darling is so far in front of them that they can't stop them running into the road and being injured.

Then we need the large roads to filter into other roads which have adequate capacity and not cause a backlog or traffic jam onto a major road, dual carriageway, or motorway.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Agree with all you say, only trouble the thing we NEED most of all is more space, something this tiny island just can't provide.

I really don't see a way around the problem, not with the ever-increasing amount of cars on the roads today. It ain't good. No
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 5:57 pm

What we actually need is a better public transport system that integrates, is cheap and works. It shouldn't be bound to make a profit, its a vital national resource, open up old railway lines but use new technology to make them cheaper to run, give us buses that run properly, into the night, weekends and bankholidays. The idea of train travel going up in price again so much is crazy. Next month we go to London to see a show for my Mums birthday, the train is great takes just over an hour to get us into central london , try that in a car.

The car has its place and we all love um - I can't be accused of being a car hater - I own 3 of the damn things, 2 of them 4x4 but I own the same number of cycles, one of those I have 'overlanded' on (the roof tents a bit of sod to fit though)

We cannot rebuild our road system, they tried in Leicester in the 50's to build a 'Los Angeles style system', it split the city up, made walking to some places near impossible. Thankfully we are now taking that out, the bits of the ancient walls that the 'town planners' in the '50s didn't knock down are no longer on a traffic island and are coming back into use, the flyover and roundabout that split the golden mile from the city centre is being removed to open up the city again for use by people not cars

There is a great bit in a bill bryson book about him trying to walk from a motel to a supermarket and being unable to do it, thankfully we never became that car dependant.

And by investment in public transport I don't mean HS2, we need 50 mil in leicester to open up part of the Leicester - burton line that was closed by beeching. In government terms its chickenfeed and the association of train operating companies have said its vital and will make a profit (grrr) in 3 years. No brainer but can we get the money.

The only way we can redevelop the road system would be with private money and the associated cost of tolls, thankfully where i live the m6 toll is pointless for me , don't need it but happy to see people taking it and paying so it frees up the m6 for me......

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:38 pm

Leicester??? affraid Nuke it and start again! Twisted Evil

Ah, 1950's town planners, don't you just love 'em. I used to live in Bracknell, Berkshire. The area was great, but the town centre ... ughhhhh!!!! From a beautiful village they turned it into a big square pedestrianised shopping precinct, all focused around the car. It's dire, another place that needs levelling and starting again.

Yep, it's got to the point that a decent public transport system IS the only way to go - it has to be, there simply is no other alternative. For tube trains to stop running in London for instance at around midnight is ridiculous. For a "city that never sleeps" it's more than just ridiculous, it's disgusting and a total embarrassment. Okay, you wouldn't have them running every 10 minutes, but surely one per hour on major routes would be a step in the right direction?

Okay, who is going to invent the first hover-car?
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 16, 2012 7:53 pm

Tom Mc wrote:

No Tom, you are confusing us with Coventry.......... doh

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 12:18 pm

iveco4x4 wrote:
Tom Mc wrote:

No Tom, you are confusing us with Coventry.......... doh
Mr Hitler had a rather big say in the future of Coventry, unfortunately it was us Brits who had the final word planning-wise. My SatNav overheats every time I go near the place what with all the overpasses and goes-unders, one of the many reasons to stay away from the place. No
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 6:49 pm

I know, you go to beautifull rebult european citie that were flattened and then rebuilt a they were or in an image of how they were anyway

Then you ee what we created - Coventry !

Although after seeing michael woods a history of england , I didn't relise what a fantastic Guild Hall they have still , must trot down the m69 for a visit (at 60mph of coure)

Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 17, 2012 9:35 pm

Go on, live a little and do 65 instead.
Back to top Go down
jonus12
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 10:53 pm

The biggest and most obvious reason of such a speed limit is safety for the people. Although this law has become very old and the speed limit needs to be revised, but it is almost the same all around the world, so we can't blame someone specifically for this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: uk motorways.....   uk motorways..... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

uk motorways.....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Main Chat Forum-
Jump to: