4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

A couple of ideas re forums.

Go down 
+2
Tom Mc
sgt_raffie
6 posters
AuthorMessage
sgt_raffie
Rookie
Rookie

A couple of ideas re forums. Empty
PostSubject: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. EmptySun Dec 26, 2010 9:55 am

Hi
A few things I noticed while browsing the forums. Feel free to comment:

1. Sections seems to be a bit difficult to read through. What if the main index would get split in few sections that will "optically" divide it. Like a Techinical containing all the tech / gear sub-forums, Travel Reports containing the current and past reports etc. It would make it easier to read and probably later to moderate.

2. I would say that either do a proper section for most popular cars used for travels (not only land rover but also separate for toyota and mog) or just do it for "normal size 4x4" and "trucks". Reason for that is simple IMO. There is hardly a chance for an overland forums to offer better technical adivice than owners club forum and "travel related issues" are very simmilar for most 4x4 and are based usually on size and GVW available.

Main reason for those 2 is making the main index clearer and easier to read.
Of course it would be good to wait for some more people to register and see what they say.

Ta
Raf
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 1:00 am

Bit busy at the mo, but I'll look into your suggestions as soon as I have 5 minutes. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Raffie - As it happens, at this stage I've purposely tried to keep all the sections (or 'forums' in PC speak - bear with me, I'm learning) on one simple home page. All the main subjects about 4x4 overland travel are in place, so hopefully there is pretty much something for everyone. It seems to me many of the forums are so deep, with various wandering sections and sub-sections, they become a bit of a mess.

Just like overlanding, I'm sticking with the acronym K.I.S.S. for as I said, the “stupid” part applies perfectly to me and my ‘non-abilities’ with a PC.

Also, with three sections for vehicles - Land Rover (undoubtedly the most popular 4x4 in the UK), Jap 4x4's and 'the rest', at this stage it cover most things. That's not to say I won't review your advice later down the line if this forum really takes off, but until then I'll play a waiting game and see how it develops.

Thanks though for the suggestions, constructive criticism and fresh ideas are always welcome.
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 4:47 pm

Forums are an evolving thing. I think there are plenty of sections at the moment...and I think it is well set out. I certainly have no problem finding things. I reckon as the forum grows, then if more sorting, subsections etc are needed, they will happen as needed.

To me, so far, it all seems to be working well. There are some amazing trips and some great ideas out there.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. EmptyWed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 pm

Yes have ro agree with Vixen all looks good, and yes will evolve with time Smile
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 4:31 am

I agree about splitting the forum into subcategories - something like "vehicles" "Your Trips" "For Sale And Companies" etc

I would say that the Non-Speed Overseas Adventure Events. and Competitive Overseas Timed Events need to be merged into somethng else - I don't quite get why these need seperate...surely these could go in the past, present, planned events sections? As it is still overland travel, weather it is an event or not?

Also would the "top 10 photos" nt be best as a sticky in the General Chat rather than a seperate forum?

Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

PostSubject: Re: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 9:38 am

rustyrhinos wrote:

Also would the "top 10 photos" nt be best as a sticky in the General Chat rather than a seperate forum?

I suspect, as photography is quite a big chunk of overlanding (lets face it, nearly everyone takes photos & vid these days) Tom sees this area as expanding later....hence the specific forum area
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. EmptyThu Jan 06, 2011 11:28 am

Fair enough Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 5:46 am

Does anyone have any other Idea's or Opinions. Keep It clean.....

TJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A couple of ideas re forums.   A couple of ideas re forums. Empty

Back to top Go down

A couple of ideas re forums.
Page 1 of 1