4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

stone guard (behind grill)

Go down 
+2
Assassin
lou1661
6 posters
AuthorMessage
lou1661
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

stone guard (behind grill) Empty
PostSubject: stone guard (behind grill)   stone guard (behind grill) EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 7:58 am

Hi guys
In the dark recesses of my mind i seem to remember seeing a metal grill that fitted behind the standard plastic defender grill to protect from stones and suchlike, did i imagine it and if not does anyone know the part number or somewhere that would have some?

Many thanks in advance.
Louis
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: stone guard (behind grill)   stone guard (behind grill) EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 10:36 am

Most of the stone guards fitted behind the grill impede airflow and are not advised.

One solution is to get some very fine aluminium mesh and cut this to size and bond it to the back of the grill with epoxy, this dosen't impede airflow and is fine enough to stop stones and even seeds off many plants and grasses entering the engine bay.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: stone guard (behind grill)   stone guard (behind grill) EmptyFri Jun 01, 2012 1:11 pm

Good advice, especially when venturing overseas as tempreatures rise.
Back to top Go down
andyk
Gate Opener
Gate Opener
andyk

PostSubject: Re: stone guard (behind grill)   stone guard (behind grill) EmptySun Jun 03, 2012 12:14 am

Hi there,
I have a KBX grill fitted to my 110 which comes with a stainless mesh behind the grill and never had any problems with stones hitting the radiator.

However I must add that after travelling thousands of miles along the dirt roads of Australia in the past 6 months I only got hit once by a stone - and that hit the windscreen and chipped it!! The biggest problem I had was the amount of huge insects splating through the grill and mesh and embedding themselves in the radiator.

I sorted that problem by putting insect mesh (which they use on their doors and windows of houses) between the grill and stainless mesh. This stopped the insects blocking the radiator and when I was parked up it gave all of the local birdlife a free feed and the mesh got cleaned!!

Andy
Back to top Go down
lou1661
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: stone guard (behind grill)   stone guard (behind grill) EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 8:27 am

As always, many thanks guys.
Back to top Go down
diesel_jim
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
diesel_jim

PostSubject: Re: stone guard (behind grill)   stone guard (behind grill) EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 1:30 am

I have one on my 110, its proper name is a "chaff guard", it's like a thick chicken wire mesh with a thicker frame, just locates with the plastic lugs on the plastic grill.

I've had mine on about 3 different rovers now, works a treat, doesn't stop any air flow and seems (so far, crossed fingers) to keep sticks and other nasties out of the rad/intercooler.

I got mine from Old sodbury some years back, but Craddocks were doing them for a while, or genuine parts is # MTC4220 and a staggering £173.59 from the latest microcat!!.... think I paid about £30

Here's how it sits:

stone guard (behind grill) HPIM5439
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: stone guard (behind grill)   stone guard (behind grill) EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 4:16 am

You can get the much finer aluminium mesh on rolls 1M wide, this just unrolls and you bond it to a frame with epoxy, if something hits it the aluminium just stretches a little; and with a roll you simply pull it off and bond some new on when it looks too battered, cost-about £20 per 25 metre roll.
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: stone guard (behind grill)   stone guard (behind grill) EmptyFri Jun 08, 2012 7:09 am

Assassin wrote:
You can get the much finer aluminium mesh on rolls 1M wide, this just unrolls and you bond it to a frame with epoxy, if something hits it the aluminium just stretches a little; and with a roll you simply pull it off and bond some new on when it looks too battered, cost-about £20 per 25 metre roll.

That's the way to do it!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: stone guard (behind grill)   stone guard (behind grill) Empty

Back to top Go down

stone guard (behind grill)
Page 1 of 1