4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Elevating Roofs

Go down 
+2
roamingman
Assassin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 1:11 pm

Many people ignore the humble elevating roof, but they are often a practical proposition for an expedition vehicle which is to be lived in, relatively cheap to buy, reasonably easy to fit for most practical people, and they can give you so much more space while camping; yet fold down to a compact size when travelling.

Elevating roofs ofer the best of both worlds, many also come with various attachments as standard or options, most common are the fold out beds which fold out from either side to give two berths, or two additional berths in a vehicle. Many come with windows and some are now even fitted with solar panels or their inserts to retro fit them, some even come with extractor fans.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 10:35 pm

Yes that is what we our looking for on next motor, on the trip "Snow Leopard".
clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
gchinsr
Rookie
Rookie
gchinsr

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptySat Apr 07, 2012 3:51 pm

I am converting my 110 and adding a lifting roof. After 2 back surgeries, using a roof rack, or climbing up a ladder into a RTT are not really options for me. It will be much nicer especially in cold, and windier areas to out of the elements in a live in arrangement. Though the interior is just drawn out, it will be able to sleep 4 in relative comfort. I was luck to find one used, and ship to the USA in a container, so well worth the cost and effort involved.
Back to top Go down
paulnb57
Rookie
Rookie

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 4:27 am

gchinsr

I would be interested to see how you intend to fit out your 110 to sleep 4, any chance ou old post the design on here, I could do with some inspiration!

hers

Paul
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 10:41 am

Here are a few interiors for you. I saved this website to give me ideas when eventually I convert the Range Rover ambulance, hopefully it will help you too - www.exkab.de/Englisch/indexE.html

Back to top Go down
gchinsr
Rookie
Rookie
gchinsr

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 2:18 pm

paulnb57 wrote:
gchinsr

I would be interested to see how you intend to fit out your 110 to sleep 4, any chance ou old post the design on here, I could do with some inspiration!

hers

Paul

Hi Paul
Here is a the latest sketch that is close to final design. After looking at every pic from the web I could find of 110 and LC "live in" campers, this has the best balance of space, storage, and comfort.Although not needed for our trip to So America, adding opposing hinges on the seat/bed allow it to flip up for access to storage, and flip the other way to close the span. I opted for a 22" aisle, as mock up gave great moving around room in back, and felt like it has more space than the eyes see. There will be the standard double bed in the lift up section, single lower convertible to double, so 3 in good comfort, 4 in a pinch can sleep. Although it appears there is no mention of a roof rack, and not not a lot of interior storage, I have 2 jerry can lockers, a LH rear locker, and a 45ltr aux fuel tank in the wheel boxes that is usually dead space. This allows me to carry an additional 80ltrs of water/fuel dependent on needs, and 32ltrs of additional storage for spares/tools without using any interior space, and maintaining best COG with this design. I hope this helps to give an idea or two.
Greg[url][/url][img][/img]

Paul
pdf files not allowed, so please PM me email, and I can sen it to you.

Son to the rescue, now have a link to my drawing 110 Camper Interior

Last edited by gchinsr on Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:20 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Add link to photo)
Back to top Go down
paulnb57
Rookie
Rookie

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyFri Apr 27, 2012 6:38 pm

Thanks for the photo - some interesting ideas there - I replied by email to your pm before I read this post - oops!! and also thanks for the excab link! Ideas Ideas......

Cheers!!

Paul
Back to top Go down
paulnb57
Rookie
Rookie

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyWed May 02, 2012 9:03 pm

So, continuing the theme, has anyone come across sites where folk have made their own pop top/ elevating roof? Or even if plans for the Carawagon exist anywhere. I feel the need, when I start a Def 110 rebuild later this year, to install a pop top, which is in effect, a frame and some canvas, OK thats simplifying things a bit, but companies out there are charging fortunes for what is in effect a pretty simple piece of kit.........its the detail bits - hinge systems, how the pop top seals to the main roof, what helps it up then keeps it up etc etc. I have engineering experience and am convinced I could do it.........

Any thoughts suggestions gratefully received....

Paul
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyWed May 02, 2012 10:33 pm

Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
paulnb57
Rookie
Rookie

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyFri May 04, 2012 12:33 am

Ive seen that Carawagon site before - but thanks anyway - Im really surprised no one has posted up plans for the roof on the internet yet..............or generic plans/ideas for pop tops/elevating roof.

Best wishes

Paul
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyFri May 04, 2012 11:05 am

Paul, with so many commercially available ones available in a range of sizes, why bother designing and building a bespoke item, this takes considerable time and effort and is not guaranteed to work, but a commercially available unit will come with full fitting instructions and warranty.
Back to top Go down
paulnb57
Rookie
Rookie

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyFri May 04, 2012 5:03 pm

Mainly cost, but its also a challenge..................a Dormobile roof, for instance is £2250 fitted - thats a lot of beer tokens............

Paul
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptySat May 05, 2012 4:59 am

If you buy a good secondhand unit, and there are plenty about, you can get it much cheaper and save the fitting cost by fitting it yourself.
Back to top Go down
SafariDude
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
SafariDude

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 7:24 am

Assuming you could fit a pop top in a LC or Disco (1 or 2), could 2 adults really sleep up there? I've looked around VW campers and the beds in their pop tops always seem to be aimed at kids rather than adults?
Back to top Go down
http://www.alternativeafricanadventures.co.uk/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 2:22 am

Depends if you're a dwarf or like a guy I knew back in the 80's called Chris Greener. Standing at 7 ft 6 1⁄4 inches he was incredible. When kids used to look up at him and ask, "how tall are you?" he would look back down and say with a smile on his face, "how short are you?" Great bloke, always doing heaps for charities like Great Ormond Street Children's Hospital.

Elevating Roofs Chris_10

Elevating Roofs Chris_11

Samantha Fox in the bottom photo, you can see that by her strategically placed boobs, naughty girl. Razz

Err ... back on track ... yes, I also noticed those pop-up beds in VW campers are on the small side. As for a raised roof in a Discovery, you'd have a job. The way it steps up halfway along would leave you with the smallest raised roof in the world!

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Elevating Roofs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Elevating Roofs   Elevating Roofs Empty

Back to top Go down

Elevating Roofs
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Vehicles & Equipment - Custom Builds-
Jump to: