4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Jersey & Guernsey

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 4:29 am

Jersey & Guernsey Islands

I've been to both Islands 3x times each.
Although there is not a huge amount of off roading there are nice views to be seen, lots of WW2 sites, some interesting museums and the WWII underground hospital that is a little bit eerie.

Lots of nice spots to go sea fishing, buy fish and chips, and some pretty good campsites and PUBS

You can do both islands in a weekend if you plan. There are some nice roads on the islands, some longer and winding and some short, narrow and twisting.

Its not too expensive to get a ferry trip to both islands and a return. If you have more time the cheaper option is the commercial ferry not the passenger on and also the hovercraft if its service still runs.

Its a lovely place in the summer to go for a quick weekend getaway. Although If you do go peak summer there can be quite a few other tourists so you will need to book in advance.
My favourite time is going when coming out of winter, cheap, and hardly no people around, the down side is that some WWII attractions may not be open.

TJ
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 7:42 am

On our doorstep yet still haven't been. On my list!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 12:20 pm

I go regularly to fill the boat up because ite much cheaper.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptyThu Feb 16, 2012 1:09 pm

But the fuel tanks of your ickle boat are the size of an average-sized semi-detatched!
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 5:39 am

It does have the long range tanks, and i buy it by the tonne, not gallons, which makes it cheaper.

Red diesel currently works out around £4 per GALLON in the UK, in Jersey its less than £1 per GALLON.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 5:41 am

Assassin wrote:
in Jersey its less than £1 per GALLON.

bawling bawling bawling
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 12:54 pm

Strewth, that's certainly worth popping for. How long does that take from the south coast?
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 12:16 am

About 3 hours if i open the taps and unleash over 1600 HP's worth of twin Caterpillar engines, sometimes less as you are dictated to by approach routes by sea, the tide, and other traffic taking the most opportune limited times of decent weather and sea conditions.

Going round "The Swinge" is always choppy in calm weather and terrible in bad weather and i wouldn't risk it so you have a limited window depending on tides.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 12:18 am

She loves the tax free shopping, designer labels at high street prices, jewellery at much lower prices than the UK, cheap, almost tax free fuel, and several flights a day through Channel Express airlines at very reasonable prices.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 2:33 am

Not any more. Just Googled Channel Express airlines and it seems they've either gone bust or been taken over by Jet2.

If you log on to www.channel-express.co.uk you get www.jet2charters.com. Flights are still possible via www.jet2.com

Interestingly, Channel Express airlines still exist, but only in virtual form. This group of enthusiasts still 'fly' to the Channel Islands and around the world ... but only in their minds! I kid you not, check out http://channex2011.tripod.com

And they say off-roaders are touched!!! stupid
Back to top Go down
gerryw80
Rookie
Rookie

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  EmptyFri Jul 20, 2012 4:25 pm

Hey can you gude me wwhether September is a good time to vist these islands and advice me is travelling by ferry from London to Jersey & Guernsey is a better option or train would be a better choice?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Jersey & Guernsey  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jersey & Guernsey    Jersey & Guernsey  Empty

Back to top Go down

Jersey & Guernsey
Page 1 of 1