4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013

Go down 
+6
Jason
freespirit4x4
RLD
tuggy
roamingman
Tom Mc
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 Empty
PostSubject: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 4:50 am

I've been chatting to a friend of mine called Tony Pritchard. We go back a fair ol' way now (about 1988 I think??? whilst leading up to my Paris-Dakar Rally attempt in 1989) so you could say we know each other fairly well by now. In fact he was Editor of the newly-launched 4x4 & Off-Road Mart magazine back in the 90's where I had a regular column for some five years - apart from his own contributions mine was the only editorial in the mag, sometimes up to 8 pages in total. Happy days! He went on to launch his own off-road publication called 4x4 Enthusiast, which subsequently got bought out by Total Off Road I believe, so yes the man has plenty of 4x4 experience under his belt. Even better, he's a throughly nice bloke ... one of the 'good guys'!

Anyway, for a while now he's been talking about running an 'Aidventure' expedition to Russia (he heads a charitable project called Aidventure in which he'll take badly needed supplies over to Romanian ophanages and suchlike) and has come up with the following cunning plan:-

Entitled the "Snow Leopard Expedition" the intention is undertake research/photography on the endanged Snow Leopard - how the animals impact of the lives of locals, its deminishing habitat, etc. - whilst raising funds for the registered charity The Foundation for Endangered Species ( www.ffes.org.uk )

Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 Snow_l10

Guess what ... I've decided to join him! I also want to continue down into Mongolia after the official expedition, but as always the old bank balance may have an overiding say in this; we'll see. The thought of driving in places like this are all too tempting.

Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 Kazak210

According to the website: There are three crews “signed up”, so we only have room for another three crews, so don’t hang about!

Fancy joining us? See www.overlandtravel.org.uk/snow-leopard-expedition for details.

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:02 am

What motor will you be useing Tom, will you have your camper by then, cheers1

We are considering this, has well as raising mooey for the charity, I take it you have to arrange all your own, traviling expencess. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 9:01 am

Good stuff!!! cheers

Yep, its down to a bit of fund-raising for the charity, or, as there is not an entry fee as such, regard a donation to the charity as your entry fee ... if you see what I mean.

Yep also to the expenses part. I fully intend to RR ambulance to be a fully-functioning camper by then, but as usual it's all down to cash between now and then. If I still have it by then, I've always got the Delica to fall back on.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 10:43 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Good stuff!!! cheers

If I still have it by then, I've always got the Delica to fall back on.

Still no photos of said Delica yet. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 12:44 pm

Darn, should have popped out a couple of days ago when it had a couple of inches of snow, it looked pretty. Ahhhhh!!!!

Still not officially mine yet, so I'll wait until I decide what to do with it. Basically it's the more morern model, the one with the more rounded snout.
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 8:34 pm

use the delica,,,,so comfy for the longer trips,,,,,took my first one to the top of sweden when i did the swedish off road tour,,,then took my second one to morocco and slept in it,,,now i have the old delica back i am taking it on a 16 day trip next month,, Cool ,,,mate you just cant beat them,,,,so under rated,,,,, thumbsup
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 8:39 pm

Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 Scandanavia2004140
Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 Scandanavia2004038
Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 Wedding151

first two are of the chamonix i took to sweden and the jasper is the one i have just bought back,,,, thumbsup ,
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 11:04 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Darn, should have popped out a couple of days ago when it had a couple of inches of snow, it looked pretty. Ahhhhh!!!!

Still not officially mine yet, so I'll wait until I decide what to do with it. Basically it's the more morern model, the one with the more rounded snout.

Seen the one you mean, in the Delica forum, have to admit we have been looking at them for a while now, after seeing what people have done with thiers.

One reason, like tuggy says about getting on in years, and climbing up on top of motors, arearthritus(spell) is taking its toll, and puting up and taking down our camp beds, is a bit slower now, still eaiser to put oztent up, but it is the outher things.

So looking to get something a bit easier, we have slept in the D3, but that has to go next year. And D1 not enough room, many years ago we had a Commer camper van, so the camper Delica with 4x4 sounds good. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 3:52 am

all they are is a mitsubishi shogun but with a forward type body giving you a lot moor room in the cab its an MPV,,,,2.8td auto excellent combination ,,,,, thumbsup
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 5:10 am

If you have the money you could see if they could fit this into a Delica

http://uk.autoblog.com/2012/02/10/video-amazing-sliding-pod-for-vw-camper-emerges/?a_dgi=aolshare_facebook
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 12:08 pm

A very neat idea, a home-made version for the Range Rover-soon-to-be camper could be interesting.

As for the Delica, I reckon that could well be the answer to your problem mate. You and 'she who must be obeyed' would be snug as a bug in a rug in one of those. They drive like car, go like s*** off a shovel, and have a ready-made bed on board. Start looking!
Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptySun Feb 12, 2012 10:35 pm

Hideous,,,,,, stupid sick sick
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 2:55 am

May be interested in this one scratching chin
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 4:45 am

RLD wrote:
May be interested in this one scratching chin
What - the slidey out thing or the Snow Leopard Expedition?
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 6:17 am

Snow leopard thingy just waiting for reply of my travel matey
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 11:57 am

Wey hey, fingers crossed!
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 7:30 pm

just sent the TEX
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyMon Feb 13, 2012 10:11 pm

Also sent txt today. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 12:12 am

nice one
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:47 am

Had a call from Tony today, so looking good, just need to sort a motor. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 4:59 am

so did i seems i know his son very well Rob
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 6:14 am

thumbsup on the list
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 6:32 am

Good stuff! Oooeerrr, guess I'd better sort a motor too!
Back to top Go down
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
RLD

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 6:55 am

well it will be the 130 the mother ship i have asked Jason my mate to come along he is a Films location manager but he is away filming down London at the moment so will have to see it's a long time off at the moment but i am up for it Ron Tony' son went to Poland with him 2003 so know him well also did a few other trips in wales with him he is in Russia living there which will be a big help now somthig to look forwards to
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 7:39 am

130's are great, excellent off-road. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013   Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013 Empty

Back to top Go down

Snow Leopard Expedition - Russia, Siberia & Kazakhstan - July 2013
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next