4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Super Slippy Moss

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 5:45 am

Today I was at Marlborough Forest with a friend looking for high concentrations of flint for flint knapping. I was driving across hard packed earth in between trees and the top surface had this thin layer of green moss. It Absolutely lethal to drive on, I could hardly find any traction to keep moving forward.
It took nearly 5 mins to move 30 meters in a straight line up a slight gradient. My tyres were full of the stuff completely smooth. I had it in 4Low and had to keep the 2.9 under 1500rpm or else tyre spin would increase and momentum ceased. Next to wet grass and chalk it was one of the worst types of terrain I have ever driven on.

Anyone else ever driven on this stuff?
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:09 am

No, but I know what you mean about chalk. When wet it turns into a slurry that gums up the tread so your tyres become slick in seconds.

Years agao we used to go to an AWDC play day in Kent called Peter's Pit (it eventually closed due the presence of lesser-crested newts or some such creature), and it was lethal ... but great fun as you really had to think about what you were doing. Even better, when returning home you could park outside that nasty moany neighbour's house knowing full well that the liquid chalk dripping off your vehicle would be carried into his house on the soles of his shoes for months on end, as the darn stuff would hang around for ages. Couldn't happen to a nicer person. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 6:28 pm

Came across similar in Wales last Oct/Nov. Fortunately it was only for a few metres- hold on, I mean YARDS, I'm NOT French. Laughing
Scary stuff as it was a rocky lane with a steep drop to one side affraid
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptySat Jan 28, 2012 12:14 pm

Marvelous stuff to drive on, really sharpens the senses and improves your driving skills.
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:10 am

Assassin wrote:
Marvelous stuff to drive on, really sharpens the senses and improves your driving skills.

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:31 pm

oh yeah, I thought I was defeated as I approached the end of the moss patch as the Terry started to slide backwards, got it under control but it was a grab you pants and hang on for the ride moment. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 2:59 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

oh yeah, I thought I was defeated as I approached the end of the moss patch as the Terry started to slide backwards, got it under control but it was a grab you pants and hang on for the ride moment. Laughing
That reminded me of an incident with a former girlfriend, but that's another story!!! Wink
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 5:38 am

That reminded me of an incident with a former girlfriend, but that's another story!!!

I hope it didn't involve a Moggy minor and its chrome overriders on the bumbers.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 7:02 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Terracan Jas wrote:

That reminded me of an incident with a former girlfriend, but that's another story!!! Wink

Quote :
That reminded me of an incident with a former girlfriend, but that's another story!!!

I hope it didn't involve a Moggy minor and its chrome overriders on the bumbers.

Well that didn't take long to get off topic. Laughing

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss EmptyMon Jan 30, 2012 11:31 am

Assassin wrote:
lol!
Old Zephers with the front bench seat and column change. NO ... STOP!

Who started this anyway? Oh, I did. Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Super Slippy Moss Empty
PostSubject: Re: Super Slippy Moss   Super Slippy Moss Empty

Back to top Go down

Super Slippy Moss
Page 1 of 1