4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Environmentally Friendly

Go down 
+3
Vicar
roamingman
Assassin
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Environmentally Friendly - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Environmentally Friendly   Environmentally Friendly - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 4:15 am

Thanks for both the reply's & Support! thumbsup

After the new year I will be looking to get in to blacksmithing. I will no doubt contact you with questions, and possibly post a few pics on here if all goes well.
Another reason to start smithing is to make my own equipment. For the last few years I have been a practitioner in CQC, close quarter combat (Swords, spears, axes, shield formations, and small amounts of archery). Very similar to Live action role play and battle reinactments, except it is not choreographed.

One of the major problems in this time honoured tradition is that modern items are very poorly made, designed and very expensive to buy.
Which is a shame because even though in modern society CQC or LARP might be frowned upon, the knowledge and skill needed to even safely wield and use the equipment is very, very hard to come by. Again its another "trade" that is nearly gone....

Jason
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Environmentally Friendly   Environmentally Friendly - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 4:51 am

Not 4x4 equipment then Jason, or is that market flooded?

Agree 100% with what's been said about dying trades and British engineering. Just love those programmes on the box about "Secrets of WWII" - fascinating stuff! Got one over on the Germans on numerous occasions, and new even more impressive stuff is still being revealed.

"How It's Made" is also highly revealing, two of which being aluminium baking foil and clingfilm. Both common items today, both brought about by engineering. As you say, somebody has to design those machines.

Perhaps a campaign ought to be launched to ensure all schoolchildren must participate in a Meccano course daily. Mind you, as they don't seem to be able to read, write or do basic sums half the time, the chances of introducing basic engineering to the curriculum is a complete non-starter!
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Environmentally Friendly   Environmentally Friendly - Page 2 EmptyWed Dec 07, 2011 7:24 am

Tom Mc wrote:
Not 4x4 equipment then Jason, or is that market flooded?

Agree 100% with what's been said about dying trades and British engineering. Just love those programmes on the box about "Secrets of WWII" - fascinating stuff! Got one over on the Germans on numerous occasions, and new even more impressive stuff is still being revealed.

"How It's Made" is also highly revealing, two of which being aluminium baking foil and clingfilm. Both common items today, both brought about by engineering. As you say, somebody has to design those machines.

Perhaps a campaign ought to be launched to ensure all schoolchildren must participate in a Meccano course daily. Mind you, as they don't seem to be able to read, write or do basic sums half the time, the chances of introducing basic engineering to the curriculum is a complete non-starter!

I would get round to making bits and bobs here and there for 4x4's, but to begin with I will be just doing it for personal interest and fun.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Environmentally Friendly   Environmentally Friendly - Page 2 EmptyMon Dec 12, 2011 12:41 pm

Tom, they don't read because they don't need to with the current statistic chasing curriculum, don't write because they have a computer which has gramattical correction and spell check, and they don't do maths because their computers have calculators on them, as do their mobile phones and if it hasn't they download an app.

Many will know i started on mining, this means nothing battery powered unless its FLP (flameproof) silver paper, or anything capable of generating a spark, or flammable is allowed underground, and the old adage was "you can't use a calculator down here" seems very apt, you had to do it manually and often on the back of a stonedust bag.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Environmentally Friendly   Environmentally Friendly - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Environmentally Friendly
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Random Stuff-
Jump to: