4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Oil seep/leak?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptySun Oct 23, 2011 8:35 pm

I just done a small service on the Terracan for the winter.

And Ive noticed that there is a small Oil seep, not leak, on the back of the top cover or valve cover on the engine. Its about the size of a 2 pence piece, near a bolt that goes through to the engine block.

Is this common or is it something that happens alot with 4x4's?

I only ask because this Mercedes engine in the Terracan has been flawless and is clean and mint, unlike some other 4x4's ive owned that are generally covered in oil here and there.

When I drained the engine oil I sifted through the fluid and there was no little fragments of metal or anything out of the ordinary in there, indicating seals broken or pistons rubbing etc.

Like I said on any other vehicle I would not pay much attention but this motor has had no issues, leaks, nor failure to start in the 5 years of ownership. Ive recently started driving it more, over summer It mostly sat on the drive as I walked to work.

Im probably over-reacting but i just want to be cautious thats all....

TJ
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 12:24 pm

Most likely the rocker cover gasket, not uncommon on Merc engines which do fairly low mileages.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyMon Oct 24, 2011 5:27 pm

Is it better to check it replaced or just leave it?

TJ
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 5:15 am

I received today the ordered Bolt to replace the existing one that is smothered in engine oil.
I replaced it this morning, cleaned the oil off, installed the new bolt and drove from Wiltshire to Leeds and back. No Oil seepage as of yet. My engine is nice and clean, but I will keep a CLOSE eye on it and if necessary replace the rocker cover gasket which I also ordered.

I was well chuffed I managed to get the Rocker Gasket cover, and 8x new bolts for £22.50 Delivered, Genuine Hyundai Parts.
Interesting thing is that when I contacted Mercedes for the part for the 2.9 J Type engine the price was nearly double for what I could tell is exactly the same part....

Ta

Jason
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 5:20 am

If replacing the bolt fixed it - not likely to be the bolt at fault - more likely it just needed tightening Smile

Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Jas
Admin
Jas

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 6:47 am

rustyrhinos wrote:
If replacing the bolt fixed it - not likely to be the bolt at fault - more likely it just needed tightening Smile

I did check that before I did the swap. It was quite tight.

Upon closer inspection of the old bolt, some of the thread on the screw was bent only slightly. Due to the nature of high compression engines I doubt it would take much of a part malfunction like this to allow oil to squeeze through?

TJ
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 7:42 am

You are right - doesnt take much for oil to come out!

Just suprised that a bolt can be bent on the rocker cover, hence thinking it would not be the bolt!
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 7:52 am

Sorry I did not word it correct.

I meant that the screw thread on the bolt, The bolt was straight but some of the thread on the bolt was bent and in one place missing, Instead of a continuous thread. Hope this makes sense.

TJ
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 8:08 am

Ah, I get ya! And the thread inside the rocker is OK?
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 8:14 am

Yes, All seems to be well.

I borrowed my mechanics hole thread re-driller thingy, used the same sized bit and just gave it a couple of turns. No resistance, could turn it with my little finger.
Lubed up the bolt and again inserted it with no resistance until tightening it.

Fingers cross the oil seepage should stop. If not I will give it to my mechanic and get him to have a look and if necessary fit the new gasket.

Jas
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 8:31 am

Ah cool sounds like you have thought it through Smile
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 12:09 pm

The thread thingy, wotsit, oojamaflip, is called a tap.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyTue Oct 25, 2011 5:25 pm

Assassin wrote:
The thread thingy, wotsit, oojamaflip, is called a tap.

Laughing Thats the one!
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:15 am

The oil seep has returned! Well Technically it never went away, After the bolt replacement I cleaned the area with a cloth but did not notice the possible main fault above due to it being dark outside.....

There is a pipe that goes from the side of the engine to the top of the engine and the Hyundai styled clip looks a little tarnished and there is a small amount of play in the pipe near the clip, so I have replaced the clip with a SS jubilee clip.

I have no idea what the pipe is for, it is located on the top of the engine under the intercooler. I will post picture below asap.

TJ

Last edited by Terracan Jas on Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? EmptyFri Oct 28, 2011 3:56 am

Here are the images:

Oil seep/leak? Oil_le10

Oil seep/leak? Oil_le11

So the 1st picture shows where the Oil Leak is coming from, the seccond is the amount of oil on the pipe and surrounding engine.

When I replaced the nut the 1st time I only cleaned around the nut, due to it being nearly dark I did not see the top pipe issue that I found today when finishing the service in the daylight. I have since changed the black clip with a SS jubiliee clip and pressure washed the area, its now squeeky clean! I got my mechanic up here and he looked over the engine and he could not find a fault with it. And commented that the oil mark was probably formed over the years. And that I have not noticed it before because it was hidden under the engine cover. Which I have only removed last week to do the intercooler flush.
Fingers crossed it goes away now, I cant stand things like this. If Id want oil leeks Id by a Old Green Oval Badged vehicle Laughing

TJ
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Oil seep/leak? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Oil seep/leak?   Oil seep/leak? Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil seep/leak?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Main Chat Forum-
Jump to: