4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Obscure Items

Go down 
+2
rustyrhinos
Assassin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 1:20 pm

Many obscure items can be used on motor vehicles, so what do you have unrelated to motor vehicles which you use on your vehicle.

Just an example:

The hunble garden sprayer comes in a range of sizes, there is the hand pumped 1 litre variety with adjustable nozzle, and there are the much larger pressurised units which hold many litres, and are activated by pumping them up to pressurise them and setting the nozzle to jet or fine mist, and you just pull the trigger to operate.

The small hand pumped ones are great for applying things to your vehicle, i usually use this for applying degreaser, buying as a liquid rather than in a pressurised container means you get twice as much for half the price of a pressurised container of degreaser. This can apply small jets, or a finer mist of degreaser to many areas, particularly those you cannot get a brush into, or those small areas which mean you would have to strip parts of the vehicle away to gain access if you were to use a brush.
Equally suitable for applying things like wheel cleaners for alloy wheels in controlled quantities, and you can do the insides of alloy rims without having to scramble under a wet vehicle.

Larger pump up sprayers can also apply degreaser in larger quantities, and in hard to reach areas as the long lance allows this, in addition it can also be filled with water and set to the jet position to remove the degreaser without having to get the hosepipe out, and drenching the entire engine.
Larger sprayers can also be used to backflush radiators clogged with mud, fill with water, pump up, lioft the bonnet and flush your radiator through its fins to remove mud, general debris, and insects from your radiator, particularly beneficial where the pressure of a jetwash is too much and would cause damage.
Newer vehicle waxes are now available, these are dissolved in water and applied, simply mix in your sprayer and spray the entire vehicle, instant shine without any effort.

I use my 10 Litre sprayer when off roading, need a jet wash? you have one, set the nozzle to the jet position and blast the windscreen, lights, radiator, and anything else which needs cleaning, just spraying the windscreen instead of using the vehicle washers and wipers saves countless scratches.

Cling film is another obscure item with many uses, in sandy or abrasive environments many people apply a layer to the windscreen to cover it, also to the front lights, and often to cover electric exterior mirrors, this saves these from being shotblasted by sand and other abrasive material. When you have finished just pull it off.
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 8:38 pm

I am very much liking the cling film idea Very Happy Very Happy

Infact I might use that for off-roading in this country as well - I always have to clean my lights before getting back on the road. Instead, I can just take the cling film off Very Happy

My paint has already been blasted by the sand - was in a bit of a sand flurry (is that the word for it, don't think a "storm" is) and it stripped off quite a bit of the paint on the front of the landie and left with just the primer!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptyThu Aug 11, 2011 8:59 pm

Whilst you can't clingfilm the entire vehicle to prevent 'sandblasting', I have a mate in Austria who quite literally 'vinyled' his whole motor! It was a Defender 90 and every body panel had yellow vinyl applied to it. Amazingly it worked!! It was shiny all of the time, wipeable/washable, could be replaced very easily if a tear appeared (equivilent of a scratch on normal paintwork) or if it went matt through sandblasting, plus you couldn't tell the difference between his and standard paintwork. Just how much it be in monetary terms it cost is another matter, but the concept certainly worked. Strange but true.
Back to top Go down
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
chally2

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 3:20 am

I use a large syringe to keep my transfer and gear box oil topped up. Saves taking the cover off all the time.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptyFri Aug 12, 2011 11:39 am

How about aluminium foil, this makes excellent masking tape for odd shaped, or awkward parts being sprayed, it moulds, holds its shape, and is actually cheaper than masking tape.
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 3:19 am

Had a heater matrix go on a jeep cherokee and the only thing i had to hand was a packet of tampons that had just been bought in the weekly shop and by mistake had not been lifted into the house, missis was not to impressed with me but they worked a treat to soak up the water I was in the middle of town and did get some strange looks Very Happy but they worked

Derek
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptySat Aug 13, 2011 8:29 pm

Those pressurised sprayers are also good for topping up oils in diffs etc.....maybe that was already said, I have to admit my speed reading is really just a quick scan and I often miss big chunks of important stuff Embarassed my excuse is I'm a girl and can only take so much "man stuff" in one hit Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 12:29 pm

Now there's a comment which could be misconstrued or misinterpreted.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 12:32 pm

Already covered in another section, i use different ones for topping up, or replacing my automatic transmission fluid as it needs to be filled through the dipstick tube which is small.

Made a variant of this for topping up gearbox, transfer case, and diffs, it is powered by compressed air from the compressor, although they can be used for this purpose, and often are.
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items EmptySun Aug 14, 2011 9:19 pm

Assassin wrote:
Now there's a comment which could be misconstrued or misinterpreted.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Obscure Items Empty
PostSubject: Re: Obscure Items   Obscure Items Empty

Back to top Go down

Obscure Items
Page 1 of 1