4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

LED Hat/Cap

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

LED Hat/Cap Empty
PostSubject: LED Hat/Cap   LED Hat/Cap EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 4:32 am

Over the last 3 months I have been using this Cap when night fishing and I'm recommending it because it can be very useful.

http://www.fishingmegastore.com/scierra-led-cap~9286.html

Its great at night when I've been fishing, changing my rig, needing both hands and a hat due to rain. I can see very well even though there are only 4 LED's, illuminates up to 2.5 meters, uses 2x small watch sized battery's that last for around 24hours constant use.

• It could be Very useful if you were fixing your truck or camping equipment at night and needed both hands for tools, even reading a book at night or any other hands free application.

Not too bad on price, I have seen some cheaper ones but on these the battery location can be poor to access and uncomfortable.

Jason
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

LED Hat/Cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Hat/Cap   LED Hat/Cap EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 11:32 am

Very neat, LED's are changing everything these days.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

LED Hat/Cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Hat/Cap   LED Hat/Cap EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 12:08 pm

I build my own LED equipment, its easy and all you have to know is how to calculate the resistor value which is easy. I buy my LED's from an online company and have converted my boat to full LED lighting, instead of 30 hours of light from the battery pack and halogen lighting, i have now got more light and over 600 hours of light.

Any vehicle reliant on battery power will find fixed or portable LED lighting a boon, more lights and much lower power consumption, and any light can usually be converted to LED, so great for vehicles, work lights, camping, and can all be run off a single leisure battery, or rechargeable cells such as NiMH or even small lead acid batteries.

Boat now has green and red underwater lights to signify port and starboard, and white lights around the bathing platform, lights up the sea beautifully and grand children know where they are when swimming in the sea after dark, so a safety benefit. Navigation lights and deck lights now LED, so even if i lose all engine power from both engines, and the onboard generator fails i have navigation and emergency lighting for over 1000 hours.
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

LED Hat/Cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Hat/Cap   LED Hat/Cap EmptySat Jul 30, 2011 9:53 pm

That is cool. If you can build or convert the bulbs over to LED yourself then you can save a small fortune over buying them.

Where I work we assemble Electronic equipment for the motor trade, like diagnostic equipment or emission equipment, and a few weeks ago I made up a 64 LED Light bar. Runs off car battery, white LED's housed in plastic with a perspex screen instead of glass, all the components cost around £36.
The same design in a plastic/rubber housing like these LED Lights that are for sale are all over £500. LED's are the way to go.

Jason
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

LED Hat/Cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Hat/Cap   LED Hat/Cap EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:15 pm

Jason:

Just what i do, with LED's at £4.50 for 50 or £7.50 for 100 and resistors at £1 per million, it makes sense to use them for off road or other vehicles reliant on battery power for longer periods.

Worklight is an old 150W halogen converted to a 30 LED light running off a 7.2 A/H battery, great light and 35 hours of light, and fully waterproof. Vehicle sidelights now converted to LED and impregnated with clear epoxy resin, totally waterproof so no corrosion and submersing the vehicle is no problem, red for rear lights and white for the front. Underbonnet light on the Shogun is 72 LED light with bright and dim settings, interior lights all LED, dash lights will be replaced with LED as a couple of bulbs gone.
Two LED's fitted into the door light circuit and into the door frame to let people know the door is open, and six fitted in addition to the red floor illumination lights, fantastic lighting when the door is open now, all the floor is lit.

Grandson's bike now got LED lighting, three stage front light and a combination of static and flashing red rear lights, and all powered from kinetic energy with a three cell back up, nothing visible as everything is incorporated into the frame, but had to insulate the capacitors well to stop him getting a kick.

Other half is disabled, so LED emergency lighting fitted all around the house, large industrial battery in the loft supplied by a digital charger, and connected to mains sensing, when we have power cuts our house automatically lights up like a christmas tree. Outside security lighting LED, another home made system which alerts by lighting inside the house if a sensor is activated, so no warnings to any potential scrotes trying to burgle me, again old halogen lights converted and all battery backed.

The possibilities are endless, only limited by peoples imagination, and a few basic skills.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

LED Hat/Cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Hat/Cap   LED Hat/Cap EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:18 pm

P.S.

The outside security lighting is also remote controlled, if there is an activation all she has to do is activate one of the four channels of the remote to light up an outside area.

Again it is a 12V power source to power the remotes.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

LED Hat/Cap Empty
PostSubject: Re: LED Hat/Cap   LED Hat/Cap Empty

Back to top Go down

LED Hat/Cap
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Vehicle accessories, on-board equipment, camping kit, off road gear. Its in here!-
Jump to: