4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Logging, USSR style

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

Logging, USSR style Empty
PostSubject: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 7:23 am

Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:37 pm

I like the Ferrari cap
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 10:56 pm

Now that's impressive - the truck, not the cap!

Urals can do some amaing things. Check these out:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lym_fL6KMhA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3tKIu7g8qU&NR=1

Back to top Go down
tuggy
Just Got Spot Lights
Just Got Spot Lights
tuggy

PostSubject: Re: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 2:43 am

YEA PRETTY IMPRESSIVE,,,,,,,WHEN I LIVED IN THE MIDLANDS I WAS ALWAYS IN LEAVASLYS ON THE A38 NEAR LICHFIELD,,,HE HAD LOADS IN AT ONE TIME,,,AND I WANTED TO BUY ONE,,THEY WERE BRIDGE LAYERS FROM THE RUSSIAN ARMY BUT HE SOLD THE BRIDGES,,,,THEY WERE IDEAL FOR TRUCK TRIALING BACK IN THE 90,SBUT DIDDNT HAVE THE MONEY,,,HE WAS SELLING THEM FOR 3 GRAND,,,,BARGAIN,,,,,, affraid
Back to top Go down
http://kevcardno.wix.com/tugs-4x4
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 4:41 am

Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 1:45 pm

tuggy wrote:
YEA PRETTY IMPRESSIVE,,,,,,,WHEN I LIVED IN THE MIDLANDS I WAS ALWAYS IN LEAVASLYS ON THE A38 NEAR LICHFIELD,,,HE HAD LOADS IN AT ONE TIME,,,AND I WANTED TO BUY ONE,,THEY WERE BRIDGE LAYERS FROM THE RUSSIAN ARMY BUT HE SOLD THE BRIDGES,,,,THEY WERE IDEAL FOR TRUCK TRIALING BACK IN THE 90,SBUT DIDDNT HAVE THE MONEY,,,HE WAS SELLING THEM FOR 3 GRAND,,,,BARGAIN,,,,,, affraid

I remember when Leavesley International were selling Alvis Stalwarts for £500 to a £1,000 depending on whether they were swimmers or not! Basically they couldn't give 'em away as they were too wide to register for the road. However, once folk became a little more inventive they became farm vehicles, recovery trucks and rescue barges for rallies and suchlike.

The best story though is reserved for a friend of mine. One day he and his mates were out cruising on the Thames (like you do in a 8 ton 6x6 ex-army amphibious truck) when a young, green copper flagged him down. A law-abiding citizen that he was, he duly pulled over at a landing stage. Probably fresh out of Hendon Police College he read my mate the riot act telling him that it was against the law to be on the Thames in this particular reach of the river as "it was tidal", and besides, the Stally couldn't possibly be road legal.

Imagine the copper's face when my mate not only explained that he had registered the Stalwart as a boat, he even produced a bone fide tug boat licence! One very pee'd off copper!!! Embarassed Embarassed cheers
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

PostSubject: Re: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 6:51 pm

Terracan Jas wrote:

Impressive or mad?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6lBig8gdfM&NR=1

Impressive - Yep thumbsup

Mad - Nope - all in a day's work thumbsup

Maybe not quite as extreme but we've dragged wagons into and out of the woods with the skidders a time or two and one local sawmill has a rig similar in spec to the one in the vid but based on UK sourced running gear rather than russian - they use it for picking up big Oak butts from stump locally.
Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 2:33 am

It reminds me of a program that was on Discovery channel a while back called Swamp Loggers. They used 6x6 flat-bed trucks. The Tyres were the same as those found on Moster trucks in order to stop them sinking and getting stuck. One of my favourite episodes was when they actually got one of these Swamp Trucks stuck. They used one massive bucket crane to drag it out.

Would of loved to have seen it up close.

Jas
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style EmptySat Jun 18, 2011 3:36 am

We were travelling from Khorixas to Uis last Feburary when we were waved down by a workman.
"Can you give us a tow please" as he pointed behind him.
We were in my Defender. He had a grader sunk right up to the hubs.

When I stopped laughing I said I'd send help.
Further down th road we found another grader working. I told the operator. After he picked himself up he said he'd go back for him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Logging, USSR style   Logging, USSR style Empty

Back to top Go down

Logging, USSR style
Page 1 of 1