4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

4x4 And Hobbies

Go down 
+2
freespirit4x4
Assassin
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

4x4 And Hobbies Empty
PostSubject: 4x4 And Hobbies   4x4 And Hobbies EmptySun May 01, 2011 6:45 am

Apart from expeditions and off roading, what do you use your 4X4 for?

For me it was towing my boats, and the reason i got myself a Shogun, yes it may lack a little off road prowess but it is very reliable and an excellent towing vehicle with plenty of room in the back for all the kit and caboodle you seem to carry with a boat.

During my days in the mining industry we used our skills as Mines Rescue team members to supplement other rescue services, mainly the cave rescue volunteers who did, and still do a sterling job of rescuing trapped cavers, and anyone down any sort of hole or underground cavern. For this we used a variety of vehicles to supplement them when requested.

Abseilling was another hobby, this also requires lots of kit to be carried, usually some considerable distance as any non 4X4 vehicle could not get as near a location as a 4X4.

Obviously there are the usual off roading excursions for my other half who is disabled, and simply cannot walk as she once could, this allows her back into the country as she is a country girl anyway, and get to see the spectacular sights she loves.

Mine is also used as a taxi for my neighbours during periods of bad weather, many neighbours are elderly and often require a little assistance, often its little more than nipping them to the doctors or local hospital when they cannot get there themselves in their own vehicles due to snow.
Back to top Go down
freespirit4x4
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
freespirit4x4

4x4 And Hobbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4x4 And Hobbies   4x4 And Hobbies EmptySun May 01, 2011 10:49 am

what abseiling do you do that requires so much kit you need to drive?
Back to top Go down
http://www.freespirit4x4.co.uk
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

4x4 And Hobbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4x4 And Hobbies   4x4 And Hobbies EmptySun May 01, 2011 11:18 am

Used to do, and we often had large groups and multiple ropes set at different heights for different levels of people.
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's
Chris S

4x4 And Hobbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4x4 And Hobbies   4x4 And Hobbies EmptySun May 01, 2011 9:32 pm

Mine have become work vehicles again, carting me and my saws and associated detritus into the woods and hauling out a bit of firewood at the same time.

at the mo, all we have is 4x4s at home so they are all daily drivers too.

Worked out very quickly though I really need to go back to running a pickup again as the 90 is too small.

One option I do have is to keep the discovry but fit a longranger rear panel and build a small dropside body for it - not really ideal but a good use of the disco.

Back to top Go down
http://www.theoverlander.org
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

4x4 And Hobbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4x4 And Hobbies   4x4 And Hobbies EmptyMon May 02, 2011 10:16 am

As a work vehicle now I'm getting more into 4x4 tours, but I guess that come under the category of "expeditions and off roading" anyway. Nah, no other uses for me.

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

4x4 And Hobbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4x4 And Hobbies   4x4 And Hobbies EmptyTue May 03, 2011 3:45 am

Tom macs4x4 does not work link not working. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Jas
Admin
Jas

4x4 And Hobbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4x4 And Hobbies   4x4 And Hobbies EmptyWed May 04, 2011 5:17 am

One of my hobbies is fishing. Specificaly Coarse Fishing. Over the past fue months my Terracan has been used extensively transporting fishing equipment and camping gear.
The main reasons I like using the terracan for this is the auto box, does not get stuck in a field like some vans and returns epic fuel comsumption. I did several trips to a lake near bosbury, hereford. And my average over all trips was 36mpg. 95% motorway. Was ecstatic especialy with the prices.

I have used it in the past to tow either a boat and trailer or a caravan. Both for holidays and fishing. This next to the fuel consumption is the terracan strong point.

Thats pritty much all i use the Terracan for. Ohh and the ocasional visit to the supermarket.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

4x4 And Hobbies Empty
PostSubject: Re: 4x4 And Hobbies   4x4 And Hobbies Empty

Back to top Go down

4x4 And Hobbies
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Main Chat Forum-
Jump to: