4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Off Road Caravans

Go down 
+7
themchenrys
Chris S
roamingman
Tom Mc
Hillbilly Raider
landy andy
Jas
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

Off Road Caravans - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Off Road Caravans   Off Road Caravans - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 5:15 am

Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Caravans   Off Road Caravans - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 6:08 am

The first 3 links were good but the fourth didn't work.
They do look like good designs, some were more like off road trailers, like in the off road trailer thread.
IMO I prefur the ones in the video's, but Its all about personal preferance.
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Caravans   Off Road Caravans - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 6:29 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

The first 3 links were good but the fourth didn't work.
They do look like good designs, some were more like off road trailers, like in the off road trailer thread.
IMO I prefur the ones in the video's, but Its all about personal preferance.

Trythis link
www.jurgens.co.za. Then go to the safari page.....

A caravan is just a trailer. A posh one. All of those are good caravans. You have the choice of the front tent or the inside. Everything is outside, no horrible cooking smells. Just like being in a tent.

The Conqueror is the series. Strong and basic.
The Echo is the Defender. Nicer inside but plastic
The Imaging is the Discovery. Better than the Echo but still plastic
The Jurgens is the Range Rover. Wood all over the place. It's let down is the rubber suspension. Potholes wreck the rubber.

What I doubt is on the Echo site is their "soft roader" Quattro. There's a review in this months Caravan and Outdoors. We saw it the first day it was in the showroom.

mike

mike
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Caravans   Off Road Caravans - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 7:00 am

Worked this time. Looks great, all of them sound great. Id love to see them up close and see what they are like. Pics look good, nice specifications list and quite a well layed out web site. I quite like the Xplorer Xcell model. Not cheap Tho!
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Caravans   Off Road Caravans - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 7:11 am

Yep. We spent two days at different times in the showrooms in Joberg.
We didn't get back to Kempton Caravans because a taxi rolled on the N1. We sat still for two hours. By taxi I mean Toyota mini bus. Most likey full. ie. More passengers than should be in... I would think a couple wouldn't have survived.

The Jurgens is made like a mormal caravan. Wood and ally. You should see some sides off at the back in the workshops...They alo keep complete axles..."The rubber never breaks" says the sales woman.

We had a good look in both the Jurgens and the Commander on camp sites....I have pictures of both on my note book

There's not much you can change to the design. Either front or rear door. If we'd had the money an Echo Quatro would have been ordered BUT then the UK government would want 10,000 for import and other dues.

Now work out my next project ?

mike
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Caravans   Off Road Caravans - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 26, 2011 8:37 am

Sounds like a good day out, checking out all the off road caravans/trailers. Wish there was a market for it in the UK. When I finish sorting out my Terracan I am looking to Make a Off Road Trailer.

Ive seen some in America, they make them out of the polished alluminium like the original streamlined caravans. Basicaly they look really shiny. Obviously they have all the useual gubbins in them. But More dureable running gear and higher ground clearance.

I Think the term "off road caravan" is abit over kill. I think of them more as All Terrain Caravans then "Off Road". Its still a caravan but its higher, has a stonger chassis, bigger suspension and tyres with a Fue Bash Plates.

It could even work if Uk Caravan manufactures offer a "Adventure" level.
Eg: On a swift caravan the "Adventure" package would have the body 50mm Higher on the Chassis, Taller tyres, Tougher suspension, springs, torsion bars and shocks. Add a full length alluminium skid plate and some alluminium or steel frame supports to make the body more Ridgid. It could be welcomed by the touring community. Not something to take through the malaysian rainforest challenge but it would be great for europe etc.
There could be a market for it and would be more cost effective to offer a add on pack instead of designing a whole new caravan or trailer platform.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Off Road Caravans   Off Road Caravans - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Off Road Caravans
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2