4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

You need clean money, not dirty!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

You need clean money, not dirty! Empty
PostSubject: You need clean money, not dirty!   You need clean money, not dirty! EmptyWed Feb 16, 2011 6:38 am

Every time I travel abroad I now make certain I have 'clean notes' on me, the sort of 'last resort emergency fund' that I fold and keep stuffed into my zipped leather belt - you know the type, the one that looks 100% like a normal 'hold up your trousers type belt.

Let me explain. You know on Britsh banknotes there is a white roundel where idiots who can't count jot down what total they have reached? Well I found myself in a remote town in Malaysia, more like a village, where amazingly they had a bank but very little else.

Hungry and thirsty I tried to change two notes - a £10 and a £5. They didn't want to know. Why? Because one had 175 scrawled on it in red ink and the other 37 in black (okay I'm guessing what numbers but you get the idea).

They wouldn't budge, despite me trying to explain the white roundel was designed specifically so bank staff could write totals in. A pathetic explanation I know, but really could think of any other excuse. I thought I may be able to swing it as they spoke fluent English, but they obviously weren't stupid. So, without any Malaysian Ringgits to my name I just had to go hungry and thirsty for the day, all because I couldn't exchange the Queen's currency. mad

You have been warned!
Back to top Go down
rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: You need clean money, not dirty!   You need clean money, not dirty! EmptyMon Feb 21, 2011 10:25 pm

Interesting - I have never even considered that!
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom

PostSubject: Re: You need clean money, not dirty!   You need clean money, not dirty! EmptyFri Apr 20, 2012 6:56 pm

Oh, a information important. Thank for you share.

Vietnam travel agency
Back to top Go down
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

PostSubject: Re: You need clean money, not dirty!   You need clean money, not dirty! EmptySun May 20, 2012 4:25 am

It works the other way too - try and get the cleanest non ripped local notes when ever anyone gives you change, its common practice to dump mucky ripped notes that the locals would not accept on visitors. Had this issue in India when a tuk tuk driver wouldn't accept my money. Don't think he understood as I told him to take it or leave it but its all I had as I climbed out of his vehicle, so if someone gives you ripped notes hand them back and get them changed.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: You need clean money, not dirty!   You need clean money, not dirty! EmptySun May 20, 2012 10:36 am

Ripped ... in one piece ... I just wish somebody would give me some notes!!!
Back to top Go down
maadmaan10
Just fitted a Snorkel
Just fitted a Snorkel
maadmaan10

PostSubject: Re: You need clean money, not dirty!   You need clean money, not dirty! EmptyWed Jun 06, 2012 8:07 pm

I'd just like some money! Laughing
Back to top Go down
traveloworld
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: You need clean money, not dirty!   You need clean money, not dirty! EmptyTue Jun 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Hi,
Whenever we travel any country or any city we know so many new things. this post is one of them! cuddles
Back to top Go down
http://www.traveloworld.co.uk/flights-to-orlando.html
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You need clean money, not dirty!   You need clean money, not dirty! Empty

Back to top Go down

You need clean money, not dirty!
Page 1 of 1