4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Hydraulic Winches

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 6:37 am

With the emphasis being mainly on electric winches, how many use hydraulic winches? although more expensive to initially purchase and more involved to install, they are a much better option for those regularly off roading, they are faster than electric winches, more reliable, and have no issues with stopping when the motors overheat. Having this constant pull is a boon for heavier winching and i would not swap my hydraulic winch for an electric winch now, but still keep an electric as a spare.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:06 am

What do you do if engine broke while in the mud, or ditch scratch
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 12:27 pm

It is an unlikely scenario as i do not have a LR, but if we turn it around how much winching time have you got if your engine breaks down and your battery goes flat.

All systems have pro's and con's, really it becomes acedemic from that perspective.
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 8:45 pm

Flat Battery or broken engine? I guess there is always that back up...the old manual winch. Get stuck and have to use one of these, and you make damned sure you don't get stuck too often Very Happy

Had some serious hand winching to do when a travelling companions clutch pressure plate decided to self destruct. We did have to be on the wrong side of the dune, didn't we? and although he had an electric winch & dual batteries, the systen decided to choose this point to flatten both batteries.

We got the defender over the dune...took 5 hrs, and then he was towed out to Alice Srpings...a total of over 800km :shock:

Hydraulic Winches 0652HR2006BranoDune-V

To give you an idea of what we were getting across

Hydraulic Winches 0648HR2006BranoDune
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyMon Jan 17, 2011 9:40 pm

Some great seenery ther, maybe one day.
Don't do that sort or overland travel yet, mainly greenlanes some off road runs at LR shows, do have recovery points and cary large tow rope and rated shackels, but not had money to buy a winch, so relie on outhers to give me a tow, so far not needed a winch pull, but am I beying selfish in not haveing a winch, and relie on outhers. ? clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:08 am

Shame it wasn't a Series with a crank handle Vixen, you could have made it into an epic! Razz

Hydraulic Winches Film-c10
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 4:10 am

That film was on a few nights ago, still worth a view every 2 years or so for that scene. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 5:40 am

I designed and built my own hydraulic winch and it has got its own manual cranking handle installed on the gearbox.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:48 pm

Assassin wrote:
I designed and built my own hydraulic winch and it has got its own manual cranking handle installed on the gearbox.
Good stuff, definitely send you in first!

When you say "that scene" Yoda are you referring to the 'ambulance on the dune' or the scene that gets Land Rover anoraks sorry, enthusiasts the world over all excited? You know the one, where Anthony Quale (the German spy) gets hauled off in the back of the truck and as he looks backwards towards the buildings what is sitting there clear as mud? A Series One 80". Quite some feat for a WWII setting 'cause the first production Land Rover didn't appear until 1948. Opps! Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyTue Jan 18, 2011 1:53 pm

roamingman wrote:
That film was on a few nights ago, still worth a view every 2 years or so for that scene. clinking teacups
Nah! I know which scene you're talking about. It was all going so well until the token frail girlie got in on the act. WOMEN!!! mad

Hydraulic Winches Film-l10

Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 6:16 am

Fine Tom i will go first, but if the winch fails you can crank it, how's that.
Back to top Go down
Vixen
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
Vixen

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches EmptyWed Jan 19, 2011 3:15 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
roamingman wrote:
Nah! I know which scene you're talking about. It was all going so well until the token frail girlie got in on the act. WOMEN!!! mad

Hydraulic Winches Film-l10

Well I know I can handcrank a V8 Landie, but that truck has a 5 on it's BWD, so it's a good deal bigger than a landie Very Happy Don't know that I'd manage that Rolling Eyes .....maybe when I was her ^ age Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hydraulic Winches Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hydraulic Winches   Hydraulic Winches Empty

Back to top Go down

Hydraulic Winches
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Vehicle recovery-
Jump to: