4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

2018 plans (revised)

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

2018 plans (revised) Empty
PostSubject: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptySun Mar 11, 2018 6:21 pm

Well, for the few of us still left on here you know Jess and I have been looking at a number of possible plans for a 2018 trip. Algeria was number one but we were waiting to hear back from Chris Scott who did a bike trip in the south in January. While quite safe, there are far too many rules and limited areas open for off-road travel. So that is now on the back burner.

I was asked in January as well to consider taking part in a Cape Town to London drive being organized by the editor of a Land Rover magazine and the owner of a big 4x4 retailer in South Africa. I would either just be riding along with someone else or would have to ship Tembo down to Cape Town and drive it back. It was tempting but they wanted to do the complete drive in six weeks (eastern route) and I figured that I would rather do it and take 3-4 months some day.

I was also invited to join a group going to the Grand Erg Occidental in Tunisia in April-May, which I would have loved to have done but I need to be in SE Asia for work in that period.

So, looks like heading back to Morocco mid-Sep to mid-Oct. The tentative plan is to take both our Land Rovers down to Erg Chegaga area, set up camp in the dunes and spend some days just playing in the sand. Then head back north either doing some mountain tracks or a swing across the Rekkam again. Really just want to test out the 90 as an overlander.

I informed my work that my 2020 sabbatical is still a go and am still considering Australia, South America or the trans-Canada as potential destinations.

So that's the Popski's Private Expeditions update!

Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptySun Mar 11, 2018 10:42 pm

Sounds like you an Jess have some good plans, I think I mentioned before we are with out a motor at this time, we do still have are Discovery 1 in surgery the plan is to have it ready for 2019 Discovery 30th birthday bash at Plymouth.
Govenment has stoped our Disability payment like so many other people who are worse off than us.
Trying to save money to get a campervan / Motorhome, see more of the UK would like to save for a trip back to Morocco,
Trouble is when we try to make a plan something always try's to stop everything.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyMon Apr 09, 2018 8:03 pm

Shame on the Algeria trip but as a plan B Morocco isn't a bad alternative.

I did a bit of a tour around Spain on the bike in March cold wet and snowy but I figured if I could cope in those conditions a longer trip should be no problem.
As a shakedown for the longer trip it just fueled my need to get on and do it.

I wish I could join you but with my new found love of motorcycle travel I'm looking at touring down to Italy via Belgium, Holland, France, Germany, Austria, Switzerland (not in the correct order) and down to Italy where I'm planning a round the coast trip taking in places like Pisa, Rome, Pompeii Naples the Almalfi coast down to Mt Etna then across country to Bari ferry to Dubrovnik up through Croatia back into Italy and Home. Looking at about a 6 week trip.

I've also started planning a trip down to the Picos area of Spain after our trip last in October to the Pyrenees and Andorra with some of the Landy Rally 2011 crew but that's now looking at October 2019 with a trip to Morocco around the same dates in 2020.

A friend has some relatives currently living in Mauritania who want's to drive down to Senegal and meet up at a coastal resort for a holiday with them but due to commitments and lack of knowledge of the area I've had to decline.
He wants to do the whole trip in 5 weeks but Ive tried to point out to him that the places he will be driving through really deserve longer with regular stop offs to admire the countryside etc.
He's still pretty keen on doing it so if anyone fancies joining him I can put you in touch.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyMon Apr 09, 2018 8:53 pm

Well we have purchest a motorhome, picking it up this weekend, so not going to plan any trips just make our mind up
and go with the flow,  clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyTue Apr 10, 2018 3:13 am

Your plans look good Gary, definitely come to the HUBB after your trip and mybe give a talk,  Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyTue Apr 17, 2018 12:41 pm

A motorhome Yoda? Tell us more.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyTue Apr 24, 2018 5:01 pm

Sounds good all...nice to hear what everyone is up to. I am sure we can catch up some more at AO18 spring show this weekend.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyWed May 16, 2018 10:10 am

Heading south this coming weekend. Calling in to see my mate just east of Bordeaux glug  then calling in to see friends in Sant Boi de Lluçanès (the village I was living in Catalonia) for one or three glug  then up though Perpignan into the the Rhone Valley glug dropping Ash off at Lyon Airport to fly back (she doesn't really do 4x4 shows), then it's the long drive up to Bad Kissingen for the Allrad Show for a lad's weekend of you know what, more ... glug

Happy days! clapping
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyWed May 16, 2018 5:07 pm

Sounds like you are as busy as ever Tom! Was good to meet Ash, maybe she will come around to the 4x4 show lifestyle.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyWed May 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Well, it seems you picked the one crappy weekend we have had for the past month Tom, but still had a good time. I had a great turnout for both talks...and we managed a nice BBQ Saturday evening.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyFri May 18, 2018 10:23 am

Good stuff. Yep, weather was crap but a good turnout nevertheless. Atmosphere was great as well.

Managed to hear a little of your talk on Personal Security, but as ever I was odd again in the blink of an eye.

Ash has actually started point out Land Rovers whilst on the road, wonders will never cease. Give her a bottle of dry white and she'll fit in anywhere! Great gal.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptySat May 19, 2018 4:37 am

Glad all was good, sorry we could not make but got stuck in Porsmouth waiting for parts,  clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptySat May 19, 2018 1:02 pm

Story of your life ...
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptySat May 19, 2018 7:30 pm

Picture of new/old Moterhome, 

2018 plans (revised) 20180410
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) EmptyTue May 29, 2018 7:02 am

A good ol' CF - and why not?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 2018 plans (revised)   2018 plans (revised) Empty

Back to top Go down

2018 plans (revised)
Page 1 of 1