4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

What Do You Cook With

Go down 
+17
gemini
chally2
wideformat4x4
horacebat
delica
Tom Mc
Hillbilly Raider
Stu
Jas
Mac
rustyrhinos
MrLeadfoot
Chris S
RLD
roamingman
freespirit4x4
Assassin
21 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Jas
Admin
Jas

What Do You Cook With - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2011 10:48 pm

I have just had some more cartrige bottles delivered. They weren't cheap but are suposed to last 2x as long as the cheapo ebay versions.
The actual stove is of reasonable design it was just something of a bother changing the cartrige every 30-45 mins of use.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 06, 2011 2:32 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

Ive mostly been using a portable cartrige stove over the last 6 months. Its a single stove solely used for kettel and small pan etc. It cost £9 of ebay and it goes through Butane cartriges in about 30mins.
Can i get any recommendations for a good stove that is stable and has a decent gas supply. 2hrs+
There are 100's on ebay but they all look as cheap and fuel costly as my current one.

Thanks

Jas

I have 2 small coleman stoves left over from my backpacking day's they use the butane / propane mix cartridges which come in 2 or 3 diffrent sizes and the large one's usually last a good couple of hours burning time never had to change one mid meal and they also fit my cadac safari grill which for the price I can't recommend enough
Back to top Go down
delica
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
delica

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 6:44 am

This is our new toy..back up stove
What Do You Cook With - Page 3 CIMG4601
Back to top Go down
http://www.delicajourney.webnode.cz
Jas
Admin
Jas

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 8:49 am

Thats a STOVE!

I like the colmans stove but as ive just bought a fue more cartridges ill burn them off first. And these are better than the cheap'o ebay copys. Ive used the stove over 1hr and the cartridge is still going strong.
Back to top Go down
onlyMark
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 10:13 pm

I don't cook with anything.

The wife does it.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyThu Apr 14, 2011 11:16 pm

Oooooooo!!!! You may need one of these Mark ...

What Do You Cook With - Page 3 Tin_ha11
Back to top Go down
onlyMark
Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 2:04 am

It's one of these I need -

What Do You Cook With - Page 3 Unbranded-ca-cricket-box
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 15, 2011 12:52 pm

Alternatively ...

What Do You Cook With - Page 3 Runnin10

Up to 20 mph so they say, that should give you a head start!
Back to top Go down
alinawatson38
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 5:40 pm

I do not prefer to cook but I just love to eat ! When someone cooks something new !
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyMon May 14, 2012 10:22 pm

alinawatson38 wrote:
I do not prefer to cook but I just love to eat ! When someone cooks something new !
Makes good sense to me too! clapping
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 27, 2013 1:52 am

Hi
As we now travel in a camper our cooking is very different to the Landy and roof-tent--------we have a 3 burner gas stove with a grill and oven---------our gas bottles are refillable all over Europe---we carry several weeks supply (depending on weather---as our heating is also LPG)--------------
When we can have a campfire, we enjoy cooking on it and carry a folding grid to cook on---also stainless pots and a kettle just for open fires.
We are trying to sort out an oven to use on the campfire-----looking to get/make something like the Coleman camp oven but a little bigger----suitable for baking bread------we have very little storage space for this, so it has to be very collapsible-------also we can't justify carrying cast-iron cook-ware around for the times we would use it.
Now that we are retired, we tend to do longer trips, but within Europe/Maroc
Nigel & Pamala
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 5:45 am

The Coleman camp oven looks okay, but I can see why you would want something a little bigger..
Back to top Go down
escapee
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 4:32 am

I noticed that nobody seems to mention the alcohol stoves that are popular with the boat users. I would be interested in any advice.
What is the availabilty of fuel in various countries?

What Do You Cook With - Page 3 Alcoholstove

They appear to be well made and the smell of meths would take me back to my childhood pyrotechnic days firing up my Mamod steam engine.Laughing
Although I would be tempted to use bioethanol. That has a different, but potent aroma (as in high as a kite) drunken.

The burn life of 4.5 hours on 1,2 litres per burner seems quite good.

escapee Cool
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 8:31 pm

On the cooking subject, I have had a big change of heart.

In the summer I was away for 5 weeks and used my Cadac safari grill and a small coleman gas stove which was a throw back to my backpacking days the 2 stoves between them used in excess of 7 of the larger gas containers as I was in France the availability of the refils from Decathalon was not an issue but the price of around £40 was beginning to bug me.

On my return I decided to look at other alternatives. In my garage I had an old camping gaz bottle which my father bought with a gaz stove about 40 odd years ago for family camping trips so I decided to look into gas stoves again for the trip later in the year to Morocco.

At my local Go outdoors they had on offer a Hi gear twin burner at £15 and the cost of a refill for the old gaz bottle I had was £19 the assistant said the bottle would last for a month cooking and boiling water for washing up etc no problem.

Well I'm glad to say he was right, I had fitted the gaz bottle into one of my storage boxes and ran the pipe from the regulator with quick release fittings and connected the burner again with quick release fitting externally, I also made up an extension pipe so I could cook at the rear of the vehicle or along the side depending on the wind direction.

All good so far, however on the trip I discovered the burners to be very slow not much of an issue as while waiting for the kettle to boil I could either pitch or strike the landy tent and get my bedding out or stored away.
A minor issue was I was not really being very adventurious with meals mostly quick cook rice and tinned curry, sweet and sour or the old stand bye stagg chilli which was fine warming up as already cooked by I did miss the ability to do stirfrys, fresh vegetables, meat etc. now Iv'e no doubt the burner were up to the task but due to the time of year there was a time constraint due to the sun going down at 1800 hrs and not wanting to be preparing and cooking stuff or eating in the dark. after the burner taking 15 to 20 minutes to boil a pan of water for veg etc.

Now I was more than happy with my new cooking purchases but and here is the big but the camping gaz bottle was quite a large item and took up space and the bottles were readily available in Morocco although most were a bigger size and would have taken up more space the twin burner had no wind break so I needed another item taking up more space and taking time to set up so not all good.

On the trip others has the dual fuel coleman twin burners which folded up in there own wind break and used a modest amount of fuel which was also readily available at any petrol station now although expensive to buy parts are readily available and I have heard tale of the cooker lasting 30 to 40 or even more years as the basic design hasn't changed and as mentioned the parts are still available.
Add to this a kelly kettle and water heating and cooking is taken care of and pretty much self contained.
My next overlanding trip may be in excess of 8 to 12 weeks and the petrol stove and kelly kettle combo would seem to fit the bill perfectly.

Now I know the open fire is an firm favourite with other here but to be honest I much prefer to get the cooking done washing up squared away then light a fire to sit around have a beer and talk utter rubbish for a couple of hours before bed.

The sort of trips I'm looking at undertaking in the future will be camp move on night after night I think the romance of cooking over an open fire will quickly get very tired, as
I took my Bush pig (a great thing to cook on then have a fire in after) with me on the trip but never used it once again more space taken up needlessly.

As with most things in life overanding is a compromise between what you want to take and what you need and as space is a premeum on trips like these in future I will be traverling light but confortable
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 12:04 am

With that type of food you would never be short of gas, self sufficient in fact.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 6:46 am

That's more like it, everyone's favourite subject:- www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6dm9rN6oTs
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   What Do You Cook With - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

What Do You Cook With
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4x4 Overland Travel :: Traveller’s tips-
Jump to: