HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

What Do You Cook With

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Sun Feb 06, 2011 11:00 pm

great pics thanks for posting
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinerovers.com
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:00 am

and it tastes reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal good
Back to top Go down
Stu
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:54 am

Nope, can't be doing with ground ovens, they make all the food taste earthy. Had food from them on several occasions and never found it to be nice. Sorry Ray!
Back to top Go down
http://www.disco3club.co.uk
RLD
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:22 am

Hi Stu yes i know what you mean but i like it and a hard day in the bush slow kooked food is good
Back to top Go down
delica
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Tue Feb 15, 2011 9:51 pm

We use open fire or stove and cast iron cookware for longer trips.

Back to top Go down
http://www.delicajourney.webnode.cz
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:17 am

Know what you mean about the earthy taste, but it's food 'of the moment'.

Best lamb I ever tasted (well it was goat actually, but it tasted exactly the same) was somewhere in Mali or Mauritania at the side of the road. Family cooking up their evening meal, we stopped and bought quarter of a goat for what to us was next to nothing but for them was a couple of week's wages, and it was wonderful ... even though it had that typical African consistency that only comes from a layer of gritty red dust. Washed down with a bottle of 14% Algerian red plonk that somehow had been overlooked, that was likewise'of the moment', never to be forgotten. It's what travelling is all about! cheers

Cleaner
Cleaner

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:16 am

RLD .. you're the winner of the tastiest chicken in the ground (gbc.. ground baked chicken) award .. by the colonel .. man that looks good!
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:27 am

Never tried cooking in a earth oven, tried the old Dutch oven that worked a treat over an open fire's embers.

These days I make do with a gas Cadac, it comes with a griddle, wok and lid which you can use to cook small joint's of meat etc.
And I have 2 small back packing coleman stoves left over from my old long distance walking days.

All three work off the small resealable coleman gas containers and as I don't normally get away for more than three weeks at a time I just take along half a dozen as I don't do the chunnel it's not a problem

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Fri Feb 18, 2011 6:58 pm

delica wrote:
We use open fire or stove and cast iron cookware for longer trips.

Lodge cast Iron - from what I can gather, the rolls royce of Cast Iron thumbsup

rustyrhinos
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Tom Mc wrote:
Know what you mean about the earthy taste, but it's food 'of the moment'.

Best lamb I ever tasted (well it was goat actually, but it tasted exactly the same) was somewhere in Mali or Mauritania at the side of the road. Family cooking up their evening meal, we stopped and bought quarter of a goat for what to us was next to nothing but for them was a couple of week's wages, and it was wonderful ... even though it had that typical African consistency that only comes from a layer of gritty red dust. Washed down with a bottle of 14% Algerian red plonk that somehow had been overlooked, that was likewise'of the moment', never to be forgotten. It's what travelling is all about! cheers

Superb, I love little snippets of trips like this Very Happy

www.rustyrhinos.com
It is not often that you will find yourself driving a car, being offered a digestive biscuit and hesitatingly ask "Does it have any sand in it?". It was at this point that we realised we were in the depths of a great place
Back to top Go down
http://www.rustyrhinos.ccom
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:55 pm

Well how about the best ever Bouillabaisse I ever had? Even better than the home of Bouillabaisse - Marseille - it was at a restaurant overlooking the beach at Dakar. With the Atlantic breakers rolling in and a virtually deserted beack, again this was 'of the moment'; heaven.

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:36 pm

Had a friend who was from Morrocco who used to do the most fantastic Moroccon dishes, he scrounged a cast iron tub about the diameter of a 45 gallon drum and about half as high, it was part buried in his garden and the upper part was surrounded by sand; he lit a fire and let it burn to the embers and then used it.

In his house he marinaded meat and stored it for 24 hours, he added a variety of vegetables, water, fat, butter, and traditional Moroccan spices and put them into terracotta pots with lids on, they had two knobs on the side to lassoo them with wire, and they were wired and lowered into his drum of embers and left for 4-6 hours to cook. Once cooked he lassooed the pots and lifted them out, they were taken into his home and served, it was traditional Moroccan cooking at its best.
They had several sized pots, large ones for family meals, enormous ones for parties, and individual ones for a variety of different or individual foods for people who dislikes certain things, i have noticed that a number of these traditional Moroccan recipes are available online, and the herbs are now readily available in the UK.

One for Chris S there.
Back to top Go down
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Sat Feb 26, 2011 10:30 am

Whats the ozpig like, I have been looking at them. Are they worth the money. I like the idea as you can always have a fire, even if the campsite doest allow them, because its off the ground and the same as a bbq.
Is it worth the £250 though.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:50 pm

chally2 wrote:
Whats the ozpig like, I have been looking at them. Are they worth the money. I like the idea as you can always have a fire, even if the campsite doest allow them, because its off the ground and the same as a bbq.
Is it worth the £250 though.

I quite like the look of the Oz Pig and a few of the other clones that are around at the moment.
They don't seem that portable though, may be all right if you stay in one place for a couple of days but I don't know if I could be bothered with the faffing about for a one night stop.

I think an open fire for romance and atmosphere but gas for convenience every time.

Although saying that for an extended trip I have been looking into the dual fuel stoves and burner's that run on unleaded as there is always a supply worldwide and you don't have to worry about different gas fittings etc.

And I agree £250 for what in essence is a chiminea does seem a little on the high side but when you put overland travel into the equation the prices do seem to rocket, now I know that your life could depend on your equipment and often the simpler the better but usually the simpler the cheaper also.

Now I'm going to keep my head down as I'm sure I will get a roasting for not mentioning R&D but lots of the overlanding stuff is an evolution of old idea's that nomads have been using for thousands of years.

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:56 am

have they realy gone up that mutch, we paid £170 although that was a while ago.
yes good for a longer stay, not uesed it just for one night, but it is possibale, it all packs into the cooker, legs chimly and grate hook and the small defusser for top of stack, all then fits into a bag, we find it does cook well, as long as you use smokless coal, (not ordinary coal like I did at first Embarassed ) also wood, hard wood best. very good for clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Hillbilly Raider
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:21 am

if it was square instead of round i think it would be better but personally its too big and bulky for me
Back to top Go down
http://www.alpinerovers.com
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Mon Feb 28, 2011 1:56 am

Yep, I'd noticed they'd gone up a bit - £70 or so in one go :shock:

Ordinarilly I'd have made something similar myself but I looked at it and how much fiddly work as well as bits that woudl need buying in and thought that the £180 we paid wasn't bad, especially as it would get used a lot at home as well.

We do take it away with us a bit and it's not as cumbersome as you would have expected, though I have made a plywood box for it so it stores better and you can fit other stuff in with it and also, if it comes to it, you can pack it up before it's fully cold (but obviously with a bit of common sense).

But, if I were only lookign at somethign to take away with me then I wouldn't have bought it as there's other solutions which would have suited me better.

The havign a fire on a site where fires aren't allowed isn't quite as simple - a lot can't have wood fires because of insurance reasons as much as the mess - sometimes you can talk people round but sometimes it's just as easy to bung charcoal in it.

FWIW, I am going to make something similar (for my own use) but probably a bit longer, less wide and it will be square sided with a larger top, but also have a proper seal and a vent rather than just having to leave the door open.

best thing we ever found with ours was to junk the spark arrestor too - draws much better now.

Other thing similar to have a look at is the Fronteir stoves - google it and you should find them - if I'd have seen them befor ethe ozpig I'd have bought one.

chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:42 am

That looks like a better price.
Is it as versatile as the oz pig.
Back to top Go down
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:36 am

chally2 wrote:
That looks like a better price.
Is it as versatile as the oz pig.

If you mean the frontier stove, then yes, I reckon it's more versatile as it's a proper stove as such, in that you can run it with the door shut. the only big difference I coudl see from a cooking on it point of view is that you wouldn't be using the top of the stove as your hot plate like you would with the pig, but to be honest I think that makes it better.

frontier stove - I have no link to the company, I just think they are a good idea Very Happy

Jas
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:55 am

I use alot at home my BBQ, Revolution Master3000: Works well, i recently re stained the sapele hardwood. I have taken it camping, i can detatch the BBQ from the wooden frame and i have made a similar sapele wooden frame that is lighter and low level.

Abit bigger than some but its got a great full width even burner, i have cooked many sausages, burgers, steaks & ribs at the same time. I love it.

Hyundai Terracan 2.9CRDI Auto
Mazda BT50 2.5TDI
Back to top Go down
gemini
Just got MT's
Just got MT's

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:25 am

It all depends where we are camping and can range from a 2 plate electric hob, to a gas/meths fired Trangia to a wood fire cooking something in the Potjie.

I forgot to add the Kelly Kettle - we wouldn't be without it.

Margaret

Last edited by gemini on Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jas
Admin

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Tue Mar 29, 2011 4:41 am

Ive mostly been using a portable cartrige stove over the last 6 months. Its a single stove solely used for kettel and small pan etc. It cost £9 of ebay and it goes through Butane cartriges in about 30mins.
Can i get any recommendations for a good stove that is stable and has a decent gas supply. 2hrs+
There are 100's on ebay but they all look as cheap and fuel costly as my current one.

Thanks

Jas

Hyundai Terracan 2.9CRDI Auto
Mazda BT50 2.5TDI
Back to top Go down
chally2
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:13 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

Ive mostly been using a portable cartrige stove over the last 6 months. Its a single stove solely used for kettel and small pan etc. It cost £9 of ebay and it goes through Butane cartriges in about 30mins.
Can i get any recommendations for a good stove that is stable and has a decent gas supply. 2hrs+
There are 100's on ebay but they all look as cheap and fuel costly as my current one.

Thanks

Jas

A Kelly Kettle

http://www.kellykettle.com/
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Wed Mar 30, 2011 4:33 am

We have a camping gas burner useses a small blue gas bottel, just for tea on the move, no counted how many cups of tea it lasts for but quite a few.. clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Chris S
Just got AT's
Just got AT's

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:35 am

Terracan Jas wrote:

Thanks

Jas

If you can get hold of decent cartridges for that type of burner then you'll get a LOT longer than 30 mins out of them. We managed to get some CampingGaz ones and you only ever need to use them at 1/4 throttle (can't think of the word I mean but you get the jist).

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Do You Cook With   

Back to top Go down

What Do You Cook With
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next