HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

What Are Your Priorities

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: What Are Your Priorities   Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:14 pm

When you design and build, or convert your vehicle what are your main priorities and your most hated gimmicks?

For me it has to be a reliable engine and transmission along with a size of wheel which has accessibility to a wide range of good off road tyres from numerous manufacturers.
Useable and flexible space is a must.
Plenty of fuel capacity in at least two fuel tanks to avoid contamination and have the option of switching between tanks.
Plenty of water capacity in at least two water tanks to avoid contamination and have the option of switching between tanks so if one requires treatment it can have it separately, and at least one portable tank.
Good battery capacity with at least two separate battery packs separate from the engine battery, ideally with one of them removable from the vehicle to power tents or outdoor areas.
Good auxiliary charging system separate from the vehicle engine which means no solar panels as they are rubbish, now use a 500 watt wind turbine as this gives a good input and balance between fire up speed and power output in a compact package for a fraction of the cost of a solar panel of similar rating.
Well engineered vehicle systems which is why I always build them myself, I work to high standards.

Electronic navigation is a clear pet hate, read maps instead.
Mobile phones and laptops as I have no intention of being connected to the internet, If I am away then I am away, they can blow up the world in by absence and I will find out about it when I get back and not before.
Fad items which you use once or twice and never use again, the type of things the consumerists (with no brains) buy because someone else has bought them; I have no need to keep up with the Joneses as I am the Joneses.
Cheap equipment which doesn't work or is overhyped with the intention of selling an inferior product to more mugs.
Idiots and day trippers out where I am, I am there for R&R and I relish the seclusion and stress relief, the last thing I want to see is the ill equipped muppet with his/her ill equipped vehicle trying to show off, wet wig off and leave me alone.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:41 am

Interesting that you don't rate solar. It's something I will be looking at as the RR camper has plenty of roof that would be perfect for panels. It's a completely dead area so even if they not as efficient as you would like, they would probably be okay for me.

Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   Thu Sep 17, 2015 2:28 am

Simple question of value for money Tom, not everyone here is as rich as you.

Would you spend £1000 on a soiar panel or £200 on a wind turbine which is over 10 times more efficient?

Remember Tom, £800 saving equals a lot of fuel or Shiraz.
Back to top Go down
Dave10101
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   Thu Sep 17, 2015 8:30 am

My solar system cost approx. £200 (had to buy an particular size panel so paid more for it to get the size) but it works really really well. Compared to a wind turbine I don't know which is best but I like the idea of fit the solar panel and forget. sunny
Also probably less likely to be nicked in the U.K/E.U. as can be bolted out of sight and more secure.

Dave.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   Thu Sep 17, 2015 5:23 pm

Mmmmm, interesting. Going to have to do my homework.

Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:31 am

Tom Mc wrote:

Hiya all,

Good subject for us Solar or not we're with you Dave, seen yours at Bad Kiss, good bit o kit mate.

Getting on for 3 years ago we fitted a solar panel on top of the Overland Trailer in 35c heat on a supermarket car park near Murcia Spain, bit of another story re the car park fitting location.
Thing is it's been sat there working FULL TIME ever since powering an 80 ltr fridge freezer in daily use fridge +5c, freezer -15c,
Currently we're near Cabo de Gata / Taberno part of the only desert in Europe, it's 36c under the side canopy as I'm typing this.
We've just had a run around from Spain in April camping in 5 countries in five months and back to Spain, full time in the trailer with fridge, tv, fans, inverters charging computers etc, ALL on the 140 panel.
Stick one on top Tom then forget it.
Back to top Go down
marjal
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:44 am

Tom Mc wrote:

Woops !! just thought about those short dark overcast winter days in the UK that go on forever er we don't do them, haven't for years so i'd better go back to the drawing board maybe scratching chin
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:56 am

Just for clarification, when we tested them they were based upon output so tests were done on a solar panel with a specific maximum output and the wind turbine was exactly the same rating, they were not tested on a price basis.

There is no reason not to have both if you desire both as they can both work together on a multi input charge controller.
Back to top Go down
Scratch&Skid
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:50 pm

For us main priorities are

Mechanicals on the vehicle (engine gearbox drivetrain) everything else is pointless if these are bad on not maintained well enough.

Suspension. No lift kits on my 110. I would like to think I have spent much time getting this right. A good mix of OEM and upgrades. Makes for a useful and fairly comfortable ride on most terrains (not too comfy it is a Land Rover after all  Wink )

Tyres. Good quality and the right tread pattern for the terrain you are going to drive.

A good knowledge of YOUR vehicle. How it behaves loaded, unloaded, on the road,off the road and its limitations.

A good tailored tool/ spares box for those emergencies. (Not a complete other vehicle in spares!) and the knowledge of how to use it.

A scense of humour for when all else fails and your up sh*t creek without a paddle.
And a way of making Tea because all good ideas and solutions are found whilst having a brew!  Very Happy

Every thing else is nice to have but not a priority
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:33 am

To an extent it depends on what you ordinarily do, for example I only fit LED lighting to everything except the headlights to reduce power consumption and increase reliability as a matter of course, by waterproofing them using liquid epoxy you never need to touch your lights again, you do need a flasher unit for LED indicators though.
Mine are home built and don't have an LED replacement bulb fitted as you still have many points of corrosion such as wiring terminals, bulb holder terminals, lens screws and body earths which all go regularly.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Are Your Priorities   

Back to top Go down

What Are Your Priorities
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1