4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger Empty
PostSubject: Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger   Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger EmptyWed May 06, 2015 9:15 pm

During our recent trip to Morocco I was testing a sat tracker/sat messaging system called the InReach by Delorme. It is a small satellite comms system that has some unique features.

1.  It links by bluetooth to a smartphone so the unit itself can stay in your backpack and you just text normally from your phone. Unit can send text messages of up to 160 characters.

2.  If you hit the tracking button, the unit marks your location every 10 minutes while moving and every 4 hours while stationary. These locations can be seen by family and friends who you give a web address and password to. So everyone can see your progress. If you do not turn on the tracking function, your location is not recorded.

3.  If you download a map to the smartphone software before a trip, it works like a satnav giving you your location on the map.

4.  It has three preprogrammed messages that you can send, selected by you.

5.  It has an emergency SOS button that links to a 24/7 center in the US. If you hit the SOS, the center immediately contacts two persons you have listed and may contact civil authorities depending on where you are i the world.

6.  Cost is much better than a satphone. The unit costs £150 and there are a number of monthly subscription packages, the cheapest about £20 per month.

7.  It operates on he Irridium network, so full global coverage

Downsides...

- The unit works from two AA batteries only. Lithium batteries will last 3-4 days. I used rechargeable AA batteries which would last a day. But just kept swapping them with a second set of rechargeables and it went fine.
- Messages sometimes are delayed being delivered by a few minutes to a few hours, but the unit always shows if a message has bee successfully sent.

Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger Delorm10
Back to top Go down
lou1661
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger   Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger EmptyTue May 19, 2015 8:42 am

Cheers Tembo, I have just been looking at this sort of thing, time to add another to the research pile.

Louis
Back to top Go down
ogb
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger   Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 9:31 am

Hello James,

Did you have any difficulties using this unit to send texts?

The unit you used has been discontinued but I think the successor may have similar functions: http://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/satphone/DeLorme-inReach-SE-Satellite-Tracker.html

I + wife will be solo in Morocco in areas that you're familiar with in March and April, and I was considering a unit like this as insurance against disasters. Don't suppose you know if they can be hired?

Thanks.

OGB
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger   Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger EmptyMon Jan 25, 2016 9:11 pm

OGB,
Never had any trouble with it...other than the batteries. Occasionaly it would lose bluetooth lock with my iphone, but if I turned bluetooth off and on again it was fine. The new version incorporates a gps screen and lots more toys. I am a bit of a luddite, so prefer less buttons but I am sure it would be fine if you take the time to learn al the functions. I will certainly keep my old type and use it next time I head to Morocco...or anywhere else.
Back to top Go down
ogb
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Re: Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger   Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 12:13 am

Thanks. It looks like a pretty good bit of kit and a potential lifesaver. I'll be getting one.

If I'd spent a few seconds looking at the site I'd have seen that they offer a rental package but for the time I'll need it I might as well buy the unit.

Many thanks for the review.
Back to top Go down
Tembo
Articulating
Articulating
Tembo

PostSubject: Re: Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger   Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger EmptyTue Jan 26, 2016 3:00 am

I got mine from globaltelesat.co.uk

They help you sort out the airtime as well.

Enjoy the trip!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger   Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger Empty

Back to top Go down

Delorme InReach sat tracker/messenger
Page 1 of 1