4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? Empty
PostSubject: Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?   Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? EmptyMon Apr 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Hi all,
Over the years I have heard and witnessed fellow Overlanders doing trips that have personal disabilities. Ranging from things like diabetes, intestinal, minor heart, epilepsy (non driver), asthma, severe allergic reactions etc etc etc........
My question is do these personal issues alter the way you plan trips, or do you go wherever you like, and just plan accordingly?
Im interested to know if personal disabilities change the way people explore, or if most people carry on regardless and just work out a solution?

Back to top Go down
http://global-adventures.webs.com/
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?   Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? EmptyWed Apr 22, 2015 7:42 pm

I have diabetes also some other problems so does SHMBO but we take enough tablets to last the trip
plus extras, and just do the same as at home.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
iveco4x4
Just got MT's
Just got MT's
iveco4x4

PostSubject: Re: Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?   Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? EmptyWed Apr 29, 2015 4:38 am

I am prone to infections after cancer surgery but we go as far as we can - lust spend 3.5 weeks bouncing around the tracks and backroads of portugal , due to a couple of other procedures recently travel insurance is difficult so staying in europe means at least we have e-hic cover, levels vary but most countries can save your life

Rich
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?   Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? EmptySat May 02, 2015 9:50 am

My ailments are all self-inflicted ... stinking headaches after too much local plonk (I believe they're called 'hangovers'), indigestion from too many stuffing my face with too many gambas/langoustine/etc. and seafood in general (often referred to as 'greed') ... you get the general idea.

Apart from that, very lucky so far health-wise. Say that to myself all the time, good health is sooooo important.
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

PostSubject: Re: Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?   Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? EmptySat May 02, 2015 11:12 pm

Self inflicted problems I have no sympathy for ..... lol!
I carry a pack of strong pain killers just for that reason... glug

I didn't really want anyone to divulge their own aliments, just wondered what peoples attitude were.
Some people do exactly what they want and work around the disability. Just go ahead and google ( No arms, no legs, no worries).... ! Very Happy The guy is incredible!!

However I understand some restricting expeditions due to health issues.
My father for example pulled out joining me in Botswana in 2013 as he was concerned about being far from emergency help as he has had some heart issues in the past. However my other friend came with me who has chronic asthma, and has been in A and E many times. (he was fine in Botswana)

Guess it just personal choice how you plan and risk assess.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?   Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? EmptyMon May 04, 2015 7:01 am

I suppose life is what you make of it, so while illness and disability can slow you down, it should never stop you.

"just spend 3.5 weeks bouncing around the tracks and backroads of portugal" about sums it up! clapping2
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?   Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? EmptyMon May 04, 2015 11:45 am

Disability is a misnomer in many ways as people have strengths and weaknesses in all aspects of life, someone may be a good off road driver but a poor mechanic, similarly a good mechanic may be a bad driver, so you could say they both have a disability, not a specific medical disability; but combine the two on a trip and you have the benefits of both.

In reality many disabled (genuine ones anyway) never play on their disability; from my experiences the worst are those scamming the benefits system who have to shout their disability from the rooftops. One local example from a few years ago was a former neighbour, the reality is that he was (and still is) a fat idle bastard and nothing more who tried playing on an alleged heart condition. One night an ambulance was called and they found it was nothing more than indigestion, yet he and his wife told everyone he had a heart condition and bragged about having to call out an ambulance (and waste a lot of valuable time) yet omitted to tell everyone their diagnosis was indigestion.

His goal was to give up works and live on benefits, at a medical they found no evidence of any heart condition, they found plenty of evidence of fat around his heart and described him as akin to a heavily pregnant mother with around 7 stone of fat on his belly pressing down on him which I thought was priceless.

Genuine disabilities are a different issue, those with them find a solution to their ailment or weakness and treat it as a problem to solve, most do.
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

PostSubject: Re: Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?   Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? EmptyMon May 04, 2015 2:38 pm

Good point Assassin...! Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. thumbsup

I hope everyone does not let their 'disability, weakness or fears' stand in the way of their plans, but some just need a little encouragment and support.

Dont get me started about benefit scroungers ..... mad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?   Disabilities.... Does it stop you...? Empty

Back to top Go down

Disabilities.... Does it stop you...?
Page 1 of 1