4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
boyo
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux Empty
PostSubject: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 9:31 am

Anybody with any knowledge on this, to be more specific I would want to carry my 4 Labradors in the back under a canopy but don't want them to suffer in the heat when in Europe.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 12:29 pm

Is this a wind up? It's not the 1st of April already surely? Didn't know you could have air-conditioning in the back of a pick-up ... can you?
Back to top Go down
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 6:53 pm

Companies like Webasto sell internal air conditioning unit or roof mounted air conditioners like you see on the top of vans, they would definitely do the job but would be expensive I expect.

How about just having one of those spinning, wind driven, roof vents?

Back to top Go down
boyo
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux    Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Yes Tom they can air-condition any space nowadays, it's the cost that is the biggest problem.
The problem with the rotating roof vents is that they don't cool the air and when it's 40deg outside that air going in if not cooled will still be hot.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptyWed Mar 18, 2015 10:15 pm

Blimey, you live and learn. How about going on one of the doggie forums and asking the same question, they are bound to know. Be careful though, a typo could have you ending up on a dogging forum so the answer won't be what you expect.

"I want to have 4 dogs in the back of a Toyota pick-up under a canopy but don't want them to suffer in the heat when in Europe"  affraid
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 12:43 pm

You just had to bring up Dogging didn't you Tom?

Better not tell you what happened to us a few weeks ago.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 12:49 pm

I would go for a hardtop and insulate it. By insulating it you will keep a lot of the heat out and one of the small 12 volt air conditioners will suffice, you do need a hole cutting for the vent pipe to go through and be fixed.
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptyFri Mar 20, 2015 1:01 pm

Back to top Go down
boyo
Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 12:50 am

Thanks Assassin, I was thinking on those terms. I looked at the hard top as seen on many a Defender "carrying sheep" which have the sections to suit insulating between with another light gauge sheet over for protection but me being me would always look for the most difficult option.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 11:35 am

[quote="Assassin"]You just had to bring up Dogging didn't you Tom?

Better not tell you what happened to us a few weeks ago.[/quote

Shhhh. I told you that was never to be repeated. Besides, how was I to know she was the current Russian Mud Wrestling Champion!!! What happens on tour stays on tour! Wink
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 11:40 am

Assassin wrote:
You just had to bring up Dogging didn't you Tom?

Better not tell you what happened to us a few weeks ago.

Shhhh. I told you that was never to be repeated. Besides, how was I to know she was the current Russian Mud Wrestling Champion???!!! What happens on tour stays on tour! Wink
Back to top Go down
Assassin
Terrain Expert
Terrain Expert

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux EmptySat Mar 21, 2015 2:32 pm

Boyo:

Avoid the metal units as metal conducts heat, if you can get a plastic unit instead you don't get the heat conductivity of aluminium and this is a start, instead I would go for a damaged secondhand unit which has the damage inside, these come mainly from commercially used vehicles and you can brace them and strip them down. Insulate using high density foam sheets and line the inside with something called Lite Ply about 3-4mm thick. Lite Ply is easily formed round curves and is extremely flexible and strong and can be finished with a good epoxy based varnish rollered on and lightly sanded flat before applying a final thinned coat of epoxy varnish. This is tough, hard wearing, and really brings up the wood and is a doddle to keep clean.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux   Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux Empty

Back to top Go down

Air-conditioning the load bed of a Toyota HiLux
Page 1 of 1