4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015

Go down 
+2
roamingman
Tahiti Joe
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Tahiti Joe
Rookie
Rookie
Tahiti Joe

My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015 Empty
PostSubject: My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015   My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 10:20 am

Hello too all, been a while since i've posted on here, although i have been checking in too see whats happening! Hope everyones had a good Christmas, and are getting set for an even better New Year!

Anyway, those that have met me will know that for the last few years i've talked about taking me and the Mini too Scandinavia in the winter. Well this year things are finally in place (ish) where i'm able too make this happen.

Rough plan is leaving end of February, that hopefully gives me enough time to financially recover from christmas and scrimp together enough to pay for the trip, plus theres still a fair bit that i'd like too have finished with the Mini... (When are our vehicles ever 'finished' eh?) Weather should still be suitably 'wintery' that time of year, and more than cold enough!

Answers and advice i'm after from you guys is that i currently have two rough routes in mind. Dover to Calais and then France - Belgium - Holland - Germany - Denmark - Sweden (All the way up) - Finland - Norway (Up too the Nordkapp) and then back down through Norway before the return journey - Denmark - Germany - Holland - Home. This was my initial route plan when i was thinking about the trip last year, however, the other week i had an idea, what if i turned the trip into a 'Baltic Circle'?

So a bit like this, France - Belgium - Germany - Poland - Lithuania - Latvia - Estonia - Finland - Norway - Sweden - Denmark - Holland - Home.

Question is, has anyone had any experience travelling through Poland/Lithuania/Latvia/Estonia? Info on driving through just about everywhere else seems readily available but a little scarce on the ground for these. Winter/summer information more than welcome. Are they worth visiting or should i just stick to my original route and save myself the fuel costs and spend more time in Scandinavia?

Thanks for reading, and sorry it went on a bit!

Cheers, Joe.
Back to top Go down
http://smallcarbigadventure.blogspot.com
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015   My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015 EmptyTue Dec 30, 2014 10:57 am

I can not help with info, but wish you luck, clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

PostSubject: Re: My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015   My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015 EmptyFri Jan 02, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi Joe. Good to hear plans are being formulated.

"February - Weather should still be suitably 'wintery' that time of year".

Too right they will be. We all know that the Mini is a great performer on ice and snow, especially with chains, but I would have thought poor ground clearance in drifting snow is going to be your biggest enemy. You must have thought about this yourself, am I right? Also in mid-winter many high passes will be closed, wouldn't tackling the trip in late winter/early spring be better?
Back to top Go down
scott.l.
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
scott.l.

PostSubject: Re: My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015   My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Hi Tahiti Joe,

France - Belgium - Germany - Poland - Lithuania - Latvia - Estonia - Finland - Norway - Sweden - Denmark - Holland - Home.

I have been looking at that exact same route for a future trip. (but in the summer!!) I would be interested to know how much time you are allocating to do this? Have not travelled much in those areas but have extensive knowledge of Norway.
Will look forward to your updates....!

Scott.
Back to top Go down
http://global-adventures.webs.com/
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015   My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015 EmptySun Jan 11, 2015 7:53 pm

Hi your trip sounds good, I have had Nordkapp on my bucket list for sometime and would be very interested in hearing details.

I do think as others have said your very brave tackling the trip this early on in the year and wish you the best of luck.

Don't forget loads more posts and plenty of pictures !!
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015   My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015 EmptyWed Jan 14, 2015 9:27 am

Hi
We did (well planned) more or less that route for summer '14--in reverse-----we got into north Finland and picked up several reports of muggings etc in Estonia at 'safe' places like gas stations----then we couldn't work out the new road toll they were just setting up in Poland----we heard of one motorhomer 'mugged' and kept in a secure compound until they could get enough money from ATMs to pay the toll/fine it took a few days.-------Our trip had been soo good we just decided to stay in Sweden a bit longer and miss out on those other countries until we found out more and had more time to spend there.
The route we took was France/Germany to Travemunde-- ferry to Malmo---up to Kiruna--accross to Narvik--around the top of Norway ---North Cape (the tunnel is now free)---stopped where we were to be robbed to do the last few hundred yards !!!----around to the Russian Border/Kirkness---back down through North Finland-----back into Sweden---Malmo etc.

There is a new--cheaper ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg starting in April (I think)----we are looking at maybe using this crossing this summer----then avoiding the two expensive (for us) bridges in Denmark by going Frederikshaven DK to Gothenburg SW .-------Our target this summer is just Sweden, for us, it is close to paradise for motorhoming--------if we go anywhere else it will be a bonus.
We don't have winter tyres fitted, so travelling so early is not possible (legal) for us.-------it will be quite an 'interesting' trip in a Mini at that time of the year--------we would do it in our VERY well insulated/heated van, but will leave the Mini trip to you !!!!--------I would insult you if I suggested you don't know what you are doing--------but be very well prepared-------will be interested to talk to you at AO this year ---if we are both there, to see how we both got on.
Nigel & Pamala
Back to top Go down
sundowners
Just Bought 4x4
Just Bought 4x4

PostSubject: Re: My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015   My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015 EmptyFri Jan 16, 2015 8:10 am

Hi
It is looking like the new ferry from Harwich to Esbjerg may not happen Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad -------if not, we will probably go --Harwich--Hook---up through Denmark to ferry at Grenaa to Varberg (Sweden)------although the big bridge would not be soo dear to you in a Mini-----we run at 8 Mtr and 6 tonne. so it is expensive for us to use----plus the other toll bridge Crying or Very sad .

I understand it is possible to go up via St.Petersburg, (if you don't have a trailer) but that has to be planned ahead------miss out the ferry from Estonia to Finland.----
Nigel
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015   My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015 Empty

Back to top Go down

My "Finally Happening" Scandinavia trip, February/March 2015
Page 1 of 1