HomeFAQSearchRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Share | 

Hi, Newbie here

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Tony777
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Hi, Newbie here   Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:15 am

Hi everybody,
I hope one of you good people can help me.
I have had a couple of 4x4's before, one was a Lada Niva and the other was a Ssangyong Musso.
I've been thinking about getting another. I dont really need a 4x4 most of the time but I have a caravan
and earlier this year, I nearly buried my Nissan Qaishqai up to the axles, on a visit to Great yarmouth while pulling my
caravan.
I'm thinking about spending about £5000 on a 4x4 and I am thinking about a BMW X5 or a Range Rover. I want to get a big petrol that has been converted to LPG.
Can anybody tell me what is the best one to buy or is there something else that I should consider clapping
Many Thanks,
Tony yesss
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Newbie here   Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:37 am

Hi Tony ... welcome! cheers

I'd go back to the Lada Niva, great machines. thumbsup

On the other hand, there are plenty of decent 3.9 V8 Discoverys on LPG around at that price, something that will last a good few years and reasonably cheap to run. You could go for a diesel Landcruiser or Pajero/Shogun, but with all Japanese vehicles, if something major goes wrong (gearbox, etc.) the replacement parts (and the repairs themselves) can be horrendous.

Discos are cheap to insure, cheap to run, cheap all 'round really. As for towing your caravan, no matter what size it is, a Disco will cope. Can't say the say of a lot of the crossover-type imports. Towing weights are crucial, something that people don't seem to realise when buying an aggressive-looking 4x4.

As for a BMW X5 or a P38 Range Rover, both are money pits. Don't waste your hard-earned.

Gate Opener
Gate Opener

PostSubject: Hi, Newbie here   Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:44 am

What is the particular reason for a petrol/lpg, there are plenty of part time 4x4 ( a contradiction in itself). Have a look at a Volvo XC70, for £5K you can buy a decent car with reasonably low mileage but exoect to get a diesel and go for the D5 engine. If you do go for a petrol/lpg the bigger the engine the better they suit lpg conversion. There are also Range rovers, Toyota Amazon or you could look at a Land Cruiser Colorado and for £5K you would have plenty of choice.
Back to top Go down
Tony777
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Newbie here   Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:20 pm

The reason I was thinking about LPG was that if I was to get a Range Rover or an X5 petrol, I would have cheaper running costs as both of those cars, running on diesel, you would only get about 30 mpg. Running on LPG, you would get 20-25 mpg but at 65 p per litre:-) I had nearly convinced myself into an X5 or a Range Rover but now I'm rethinking my plans
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Newbie here   Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:20 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I like your thinking about the larger petrol 4x4 I think LPG is the way to go as you would be lucky to get 30 mpg out of either a diesel X5 or Rangie, a mate of mine has a new shape RR diesel and he's lucky to get 22mpg out of that on average.
Based on that 25 out of petrol/LPG would be a much better bet.

Personally I would go diesel Mercedes ML as I know from experience the 4x4 system is better than the BMW (low range for eg) and they are more reasonable priced secondhand than a Range Rover, you will get at least 28 mpg mine used to average 32 and on a run on a well known charity rally across Europe I averaged 48mpg  affraid

Also the ML is built like a brick out house the only plus on a RR is the adjustable suspension but if your only using it for a day to day run around with the ability to tow a caravan you're quids in with the Merc, also as a side point the ML has the same towing capacity as a defender 3,500kg.
The RRs plus the capability of adjustable suspension is fine as long as its working of course could be big money to fix if it goes down.
My ML was also very reliable apart from regular servicing in 4 years motoring my only expense was £17.50 for a wheel sensor

Defender 300TDI - 110

www.4x4eurotours.com
Back to top Go down
Tony777
Rookie
Rookie

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Newbie here   Sat Dec 13, 2014 8:59 pm

That's another one I was considering. I still don't know what to get. All I do know is that I'm not going to rush into it. If I do get a bigger petrol car, I will be converting it to LPG
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Newbie here   Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:57 am

IMHO, it really would be a waste of money converting any 4x4 to LPG. Let those out there with more money than sense spend £1,000+ on a conversion, then you come along and reap the rewards. It seems to me that LPG-converted vehicles really don't cost any more than non-conversions, so simply wait until the right one turns up ... already converted!

Terrain Master
Terrain Master

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Newbie here   Mon Dec 15, 2014 12:07 am

As Tom says get one all ready done, we had Discovery with a 3.9 and lpg, as you say cheeper than deisl, but get one you like try and have a ride in all of them if you can, clinking teacups

http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi, Newbie here   

Back to top Go down

Hi, Newbie here
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1