4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Mercedes Benz 407D full time build

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Ron Bones
Rookie
Rookie
Ron Bones

Mercedes Benz 407D full time build Empty
PostSubject: Mercedes Benz 407D full time build   Mercedes Benz 407D full time build EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 6:36 pm

Hey all,

Just thought it was about time I introduced you all to my van.

It's a Mercedes Benz 407D ex German Red Cross ambulance. OM616 2.4L diesel lump drags her along at a glacial pace but runs beautifully. It's got the later, and harder to find, 5 speed box, which sees us keeping up with modern traffic without any difficulty.

Here she is en route back from Hoff in Germany where we picked her up in September '13.

Somewhere in Holland;
Mercedes Benz 407D full time build Imagejpg1_zps4cbbbb1b

We drove back taking the hook of holland - harwich crossing, some 1200 miles over 48 hours without any troubles, except sleeping arrangements in the crew cab.

And then she was stood up, as I tackled the arduous task of importing and registering her. Only in April of this year was I ready to start work, having needed to keep her empty for weighing as, having a post '97 licence, I've had to have her downplated to 3.5 tonnes.

So it's been a hectic few months trying to get her up to a standard which 3 of us can live in full time, myself, my partner Georgie and our dog Ralph, were almost there though, just electrics, gas and a fee little touch ups here and there.
Mercedes Benz 407D full time build Imagejpg3_zps3ebd1f32
Mercedes Benz 407D full time build Imagejpg5_zpsf8d33a32
Mercedes Benz 407D full time build Imagejpg3_zps7ac6cf81
URL=https://s240.photobucket.com/user/hopeineverlosemywallet/media/imagejpg1_zps4c969c48.jpg.html]Mercedes Benz 407D full time build Imagejpg1_zps4c969c48[/URL]

https://s240.photobucket.com/user/hopeineverlosemywallet/media/imagejpg2_zpsd2b71e2e.jpg.html]Mercedes Benz 407D full time build Imagejpg2_zpsd2b71e2e[/URL]

So there she is so far, there is a toilet that I've neglected to photograph somehow, I'll get that done. I've gone for a composting type so it's a bit of an experiment. In all the key to the build has been to keep weight down, be simple and as homely as possible. I think I've succeeded. We will also be living entirely off grid, which is my project at the minute, sorting out the solar array and charging system.

It's all coming together though and I will keep you updated.
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

PostSubject: Re: Mercedes Benz 407D full time build   Mercedes Benz 407D full time build EmptyWed Aug 20, 2014 9:06 pm

That is a really nice job you've done there, I'm very jealous.

This is what the wife wants me to do after I've finished playing with Land Rovers as she puts it but there is a couple more places I want to visit before I'm ready to undergo road only based trips.

Good luck with the rest of the build and hope you have some great experiences on your trips, as always loads of pictures please, us poor sods who are at home love to read and see the exploits of those who are traveling  thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

PostSubject: Re: Mercedes Benz 407D full time build   Mercedes Benz 407D full time build EmptyThu Aug 21, 2014 12:51 am

Hi and welcome, thanksfor shareing your photos, all looks realy good, you should have some great trips to do, and let us know how you get on,  clinking teacups 
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Mercedes Benz 407D full time build   Mercedes Benz 407D full time build Empty

Back to top Go down

Mercedes Benz 407D full time build
Page 1 of 1