4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Iceland

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

Iceland Empty
PostSubject: Iceland   Iceland EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 1:58 am

Iceland is amazing. If anyone is looking for an interesting destination for a holiday consider Iceland. We are just back from a weeks family holiday and had a brilliant time.

We flew Easyjet from Edinburgh for about £120 return each and only about a 2 hours flight, had a few days in and round the city doing touristy stuff (whale watching, bus to Great Geysir, helicopter trip) and then took delivery of our Isak Defender for a 3 day "U Drive" tour. You are given the vehicle, map, GPS and details of the accommodation and off you go by yourself. I choose this option so we could be independent and do stuff at our own speed.

The Isak Defender was not new, it was a TD5 with 250,000K on the clock but ran very well and was nicely equipped with 38" tyres, ARB compressor and front and back ARB diff locks.

Iceland P1010810
My boys first time in a helicopter, they were very excited. Great place to see from the air, trip set off from Reykjavik airport, flew around old lava fields, hovered in a volcano that last erupted 800 years ago and landed on a mountain before heading back. This was the best weather of the trip so we were very lucky.

Iceland Map10
Map showing route but they also provided a Satnav and route details.

Iceland P1010910
Gullfoss waterfall.

Iceland P1010911
Turning off the main road.

Iceland P1020010
First stretch of gravel road.

Iceland P1020011

Iceland P1020012

Iceland P1020013

Iceland P1020014

Iceland P1020015
Parked on the edge of Ljotipollur crater.

Iceland P1020016
You might think 38" tyres are quite big but there is always someone with bigger.

Iceland P1020017
This is at Landmannalaugar, lots of different 4x4s, lots of walkers and some horse riders stopping to relax in the hot spring.

Iceland P1020018
The hot spring mixes with a cold stream so you just find a spot that suits.

Iceland P1020019
Setting off from Landmannalaugar. Mountain bunk house is in the back ground.

Iceland P1020020
Everything we drove was on the satnav and classed as road! Off roading is not allowed.

Iceland P1020110
Our accommodation for the night, Holaskjol Hut and a friendly local. There were 3 of these 6 bed cabins and a larger dorm type bunkhouse.

Iceland P1020111
Waterfalls are everywhere.

Iceland P1020112
Volcanic ash from the eruption a few years ago. Some areas really felt like driving on the moon.

Iceland P1020113
This ford was at the top of a waterfall, not one to try in flood.

Iceland P1020114
More ash.

Iceland P1020115

Iceland P1020116
Still driving along the "road"!

Iceland P1020117
This was the most challenging bit, Kaldaklofskvisl ford. I wouldn't have attempted this without the notes which describe the levels of water which make this drivable or not. Our next days route put us back through this river but it continued to rain all night so we went another way. I wasn't about to push our luck and try this river any deeper.

Iceland P1020118
We were OK for depth but this was quite fast and being a milky glacial river impossible to see obstructions.

Iceland P1020119
The Defender handled it with ease but 38" + of flowing water is not to be underestimated.

Iceland P1020120
My photos really do not do the landscapes justice. The colours and intensity of everything was amazing.

Iceland P1020121

Iceland P1020122
And that is our last photo. I had filled the memory card so changed it for another one and then later in the holiday we lost the camera so lost all the remaining photos. Good reason to swap memory cards!

The second night was at Alftavatn hut and much more basic, we were in a small room with 28 other people in double bed bunk beds. A good experience for my boys.

The route we were given was very good with options to take detours along the way and notes about things to stop and see. The areas are very remote and we didn't see other vehicles for hours at a time so you have to be prepared to look after yourself.

We hired the Isak Defender through a company called Isafold, they were very helpful and I would recommend them.

I just wish they would start the ferry again from Scotland to Iceland so I could take my own truck.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Iceland Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iceland   Iceland EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 2:28 am

Sounds like you all had a great time, some realy great photos.
The Defender looks cool.
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Iceland Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iceland   Iceland EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 10:21 am

Great report of a great holiday ... thanks for taking the time to share it with us.

Shame about the camera and along with it the memories. Iceland eh? Extremely tempting!
Back to top Go down
wideformat4x4
Terrain Adept
Terrain Adept
wideformat4x4

Iceland Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iceland   Iceland EmptyTue Jul 15, 2014 8:22 pm

Great post and fantastic pictures Iceland is on my must do list. thumbsup 
Back to top Go down
ijp
Cleaner
Cleaner
ijp

Iceland Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iceland   Iceland EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 5:49 pm

We have been very lucky. The bus company we used to take us to the airport found our camera and posted it back to us so we now have all our holidays photos.

Iceland P1020123
This is the second nights accommodation, Álftavatn hut. We were in a dorm with 28 other people who were all walking, soaking wet and eating dehydrated camping food. We felt a little guilty bringing out our bottle of wine but it didn't stop us. cheers1 

Iceland P1020124
Huge tyres in Iceland are the norm.

Iceland P1020210
Not always easy seeing where to go.

Iceland P1020211
The yellow posts mark the exit.

Iceland P1020212
Road and river were one and the same for this stretch.

Iceland P1020213
Back into the moon scape.

Iceland P1020214

Iceland P1020215
Isak also have unmodified Defenders to rent out but I know which I would choose again.

I will definitely go back to Iceland, maybe a winter tour next time.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Iceland Empty
PostSubject: Re: Iceland   Iceland EmptyTue Jul 29, 2014 8:58 pm

"We felt a little guilty bringing out our bottle of wine but it didn't stop us"

Is that what they call a 'guilty pleasure'?  Wink 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Iceland Empty