4x4 Overland Travel
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in
*Welcome to 4x4 Overland Travel! The Community Resource for 4x4's, Overland Travel, Touring, Green Laning & All kinds of Expedition Vehicles! Guests, "Register" for FREE and join our Community*
Bought a Product or Accessories recently? - Got something to say about it? - Leave a Review in the "Review" section.

Landy Rally 2017

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 4:01 pm

Yep, you read it right - as 2017 will be the 10-year anniversary of "Landy Rally European 4x4 Charity Drive", I've decided to hold a rather special edition to celebrate what was a much-loved event.

Held from 2007-2012, the only reason it stopped was due to the recession, so hopefully by 2017 folk will have a bit more cash in their pockets.

More news to follow of course, but for now all I will say for now is ...

1. Held over approx. 12 days, the event will be held mid-October 2017.

2. It will be capped at X number of entrants (let's just say a "large number"), with previous entrants having first refusal up to a published date.

3. Route-wise LR`17 will be very different to all previous editions of the event, it will also surpass the number of countries visited ... thick the most was 10 countries in one hit.

4. As there will be more entrants than ever before, the organisation will have to be spot on for such an event. This will mean approximately 12 OFFICIALS/MARSHALS vehicles alone, thus ensuring that all campsites will be prepared, ready 'n' waiting for our arrival whether simply camping or for an organised meal, Marshals will be present throughout the day, and sweepers will cover the tail end.

5. The roadbook will be bullet-proof, both in basic terms and taking into account new technology.

6. Don't expect the entry fee to be as low as in the past. To run the event efficiently and safely, it will require a lot of pre-event planning and preparation. With large numbers of participating teams this is the only way it can be run. Best start saving folks!

As they say ... watch this space.
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyTue Jun 24, 2014 6:37 pm

All good Tom, looking forward to the rally, marked in diary (on computer) do not yet have a paper one for 2017.  clinking teacups 

Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
RodB
Rookie
Rookie

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Is this still on?   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 1:07 am

Hi Tom,
are you still planning to do a Landy Rally in 2017?
if so, do you want any help in preparation or running?
cheers,
Rod
Team Muppet
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 4:44 am

Hi Rod, long time no hear!!!

Well, I can now reveal ...

The intention was go for something complete different and tackle The Balkans. However, having consulted with tour operators in Albania, Poland, Montenegro and Romania, just last weekend I took the decision to abandon my plans. This is solely due to the potential hassle of border controls. It's one thing passing through EU member states such as Luxembourg, Lichtenstein, Andorra and the like, it's a whole new ball game crossing into non-EU countries!

Not only that, originally Ukraine was part of the itinerary, clearly that's not an option any longer. Plus who knows what the future holds in the bordering nations of Belarus and Moldova?

Last but not least, there's the current migrant situation. Czech Republic, Slovakia, Hungary and Poland are currently in discussion about erecting a massive fence to keep migrants out of Europe, much in the same vein as Hungary have already done. Granted it may not effect us at all, but who knows?

All in all, it's definitely not looking good. As an organiser I have a 'duty of care', so to expose teams to potential hazards such as being robbed or even raped, would be totally wrong. And please don't think the Cologne sexual assaults were all media hype concocted by the Daily Mail and sucuhlike, even respected highbrow publications like the Spectator and Economist are reporting on the subject now - http://www.spectator.co.uk/2016/01/its-not-only-germany-that-covers-up-mass-sex-attacks-by-migrant-men-swedens-record-is-shameful

http://www.economist.com/news/europe/21688418-ultimate-victim-sexual-assaults-migrants-could-be-angela-merkels-liberal-refugee

So, Landy Rally 2017 won't be going anywhere near the Balkans I assure you. However, all is not lost. It occurred to me that LR`17 could still take place, but in a very different region.

Judging by the feedback from teams who were lucky enough to make it to the 'dust bowl' (the real name being the Bardenas Reales - see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bardenas_Reales) in Navarra, Northern Spain, I have had a major rethink and decided to call the 10th anniversary event ...

Landy Rally 2017 - Iberia

This would take in just four countries - Spain, France, Andorra and Portugal. I realise it's a bit of a come down from the 24 or even 25 countries I was planning in The Balkans, but ...

a) It will be safe.
b) It will cost lest money.
c) It will be less tiring.
d) The border controls will be a doodle (as long as we avoid exiting Andorra at 18:00, this can still be a pain as the customs seem to delight at turning out tourist's luggage - so annoying).
e) We'll have a fighting chance with communication. English within the Iberian Peninsular is widely spoken in comparison to Eastern Europe, although don't know how the Scots will on?  Razz
f) The food is great, especially if you like seafood. Those who don't, there's always tortilla to fall back on - basically a Spanish omelette made with eggs and potato. Everyone's digestive system can handle that, even Yoda's!
g) Instead of countries we can tackle regions such as Galicia, Navarra, Basque County, Aragon and Catatonia, La Rioja, etc. Each have their own traditions and language, thus making it yet more interesting. In addition we can incorporate a bit of France (hardly "Iberian" you may think, but the Catalonia for instance stretches into France), plus Andorra and Portugal.
h) We'll still have mountains - The Pyrenees and the Cantabrian Mountains to name but two ranges.
i) In late October when LR`17 will be held, the temperatures in the four countries will be just right.
j) Alternatively, the temperatures in the Balkans can plummet daytime and especially overnight, plus the very real prospect of snow would loom large. Great fun you may think, but I've been snowed in whilst exploring Poland, and believe me it was scary as it took two days before help arrived. Snow of course could also completely upset the itinerary, potentially leaving the teams spread far and wide. Not good for the organisers or the teams!
k) I have decided not to venture too far south (i.e. Southern Spain). Yes it would be possible, but sitting on Spanish autovias simply to stack up the miles would be daft. We had no choice previously as it was the only way to encompass both the Alps and Pyrenees, plus rack up the number of countries, but it always meant a horrible last day in order to make it back to Calais.
l) We can utilise the Portsmouth-Santander or Bilbao ferries. Okay, they are not exactly cheap, but it's a lot less tiring than driving right through France. Better to arrive in Spain fresh I'd say, far more enjoyable.

That's about it for now. Bearing in mind I've only just come up with this cunning plan, give me a while to start researching the possible itinerary.

Your thoughts ... any particular place you'd like to visit ... all suggestions welcome.

Landy Rally 2017 Lr10_t10
Back to top Go down
roamingman
Terrain Master
Terrain Master
roamingman

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 9:12 am

At first I thought all was lost, but reading on it know looks good, might not be able to afford the Santander ferry but will look at the options,  clinking teacups
Back to top Go down
http://teddybearspicnic.webs.com/
RodB
Rookie
Rookie

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Looks Good!   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 9:42 pm

Thanks Tom, this sounds really good!

I like the idea of doing lots of Spanish regions instead of lots of countries. I've heard they are really diverse.

Fewer miles will give more playtime and a chance to check out some culture.

Having most of the rally in the same country will make it worthwhile trying to do some work on language skills beforehand.

The timing is good for me.

I used the Portsmouth-Bilbao ferry a few years ago and it was good. When you look at the amount of fuel and other costs you save by not doing a 2/3-day drive through France its not as ridiculously expensive as it looks.  I might go out via Portsmouth and back via Dover so I can pick up a load of French wine on the way back.  Definitely going with a roof tent this time, so there will be more cargo space in the van.

Looking forward to hearing more ...
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyThu Feb 18, 2016 10:27 pm

"do some work on language skills beforehand" ... that's be interesting! Best stick to Spanish as virtually all the autonomous regions of Spain have their own language, along with Castilian Spanish that is.

Realistically, we could in fact tackle all 16 Spanish regions, plus in and out of Andorra and France, plus Portugal. As you say Rod, "fewer miles will give more playtime and a chance to check out some culture".

Landy Rally 2017 Spanis10

It'll definitely be a mixture of ferries, there's plenty of choice. Unlike others Yoda who out of necessity will be on a tight schedule as they have to be back at work, you and SWMBO can take your time and drive through France. Booking in advance will get the cheapest possible price Dover-Calais. That way you're not 'racing' and gobbling up fuel, simply plod along the Nationals and even their B roads at a nice sedate speed. Plus of course that way you'll have no tolls to think about either, as your know they can really stack up. clapping

Landy Rally 2017 Ferry-10
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 6:32 am

Just a quick question about this event is it purely for Landies or any other marques. Currently without 4x4 so this might affect what I buy, in the future.

Cheers

Mugwump
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 6:54 am

It will definitely be all marques. Originally it was just LR, then others owners wanted to join in the fun, so as I'm not blinkered, I opened it up to everyone.

So now a bit misleading, but Landy Rally still has a ring to it, whereas 4x4y Rally really doesn't.
Back to top Go down
mugwump
Just got M&S Tyres
Just got M&S Tyres
mugwump

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Landy rally   Landy Rally 2017 EmptyTue Feb 23, 2016 10:16 am

Sounds great.

Back to top Go down
Rooftop
Rookie
Rookie

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptySun Oct 30, 2016 4:36 am

Hope this goes forward to event would be interested as competitor or Marshall team extreme ass crew 2007 would not have made more expansive event cheers Andy and Vincent lpg dependent landie
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptySun Oct 30, 2016 8:29 pm

Hi Extreme Ass Crew, haven't heard from you lads for a while! Announcent about Landy Rally 2017 follows.
Back to top Go down
Tom Mc
Founder
Founder
Tom Mc

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 EmptySun Oct 30, 2016 9:04 pm

That's it, executive decision made. Sorry but ...

Landy Rally 2017 will NOT take place.

The thing is, I really wanted to take in the mountain ranges of the Balkans and beyond. With this no longer feasible due to stricter border issues (access has changed dramatically since the recent influx of immigrants from Africa and Eastern Europe), I then looked at the possibility of an 'Iberian Drive'.

Although this is definitely an option, having consulted with many former teams - plus some new ones as folk have been approaching me about wanting to take part since I announced the possibility of an Anniversary Land Rally well over a year ago - a combination of time and money makes this a lot less appealing to a lot of folk, hence the decision to ditch the idea altogether of an anniversary event.

Landy Rally was great while it lasted, six editions from 2007-2012, with over £100,000 raised by the participating teams for their nominated charities and good causes, only with the Calais to Calais format (Valkenburg, Holland to Calais latterly), compacted into a timescale of between 9 to 12 days depending which year, circumnavigating Iberia would have stretched to well over two weeks if driving though France. Either this or £600+ for the ferry from Portsmouth-Santander or Plymouth-Bilbao of course. Whichever way to look at it, both options would have incurred excessive expenditure simply to reach the start line.

Add to all this my own personal situation of running three major shows during the course of 2017, plus a possible fourth in 2018, this in itself restricts playtime somewhat! Organising an additional event with 60 vehicles taking part (the intention was 50 competing teams plus 10 officials/marshals as support), would have been folly. Don't forget it's not just the time it takes sorting out all the paperwork and liasing with everyone during the course of 2017, somehow myself and a co-driver PLUS a second vehicle with crew, would have to reconnoitre the entire route at some point next year, a process that takes far longer than the actual event itself. By way of an example, it took 12 days to build a roadbook for a 9-day Landy Rally, not to mention the added expensive of course. Even sussing out the overnight stops used to be a nightmare with 30+ vehicles, I know for a fact that not too many campsites in Spain/Portugal/Andorra/Gibraltar could accommodate an influx of 60 vehicles!

So apologies to one and all if you've been saving up for Landy Rally 2017, you can now go out on Christmas spending spree or plan a tour of Morocco instead.

"The best laid schemes o' mice an' men ... " Sad
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Landy Rally 2017 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Landy Rally 2017   Landy Rally 2017 Empty

Back to top Go down

Landy Rally 2017
Page 1 of 1